[comp.windows.open-look] Help key in Open Look

jack@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Jack Gidding) (02/27/91)

In our .xinitrc file we use the following line to set the Help key in Open Look
to the F1 key. Is there any way that I can map this key to be the Help key on
the left hand side of the keyboard? I occasionally hit the F1 key by mistake
and would like to avoid getting a Help window *unless* I hit the Help key.

.xinitrc lines:

# Install function key "F1" as an Open Look "Help" key
# This precludes its use by applications
# If your applications use F1 for anything else, comment out the following line
xmodmap -e 'keysym F1 = Help'

ADV(thanks)ANCE

 $ Jack A. Gidding                         $  It is the man, not the   $
 $ Development Engineer                    $  method that solves the   $
 $ Reuters Trading Room Systems            $  problem.                 $
 $ 1400 Kensington Road                    $                           $
 $ Oak Brook, IL  60521                    $     -Poincare             $
 $ Voice: (708) 574-7424 x2770             $                           $
 $ Email: jack@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com  $                           $

elric@imryrr.Eng.Sun.COM (Rick Heli) (02/28/91)

In article <1526@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com> jack@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Jack Gidding) writes:
>In our .xinitrc file we use the following line to set the Help key in Open Look
>to the F1 key. Is there any way that I can map this key to be the Help key on
>the left hand side of the keyboard? I occasionally hit the F1 key by mistake
>and would like to avoid getting a Help window *unless* I hit the Help key.
>
>.xinitrc lines:
>
># Install function key "F1" as an Open Look "Help" key
># This precludes its use by applications
># If your applications use F1 for anything else, comment out the following line
>xmodmap -e 'keysym F1 = Help'

If you comment out the "xmodmap" line, "F1" will no longer act as a Help
key (though "Help" will certainly continue to work in that role).

That's what the .xinitrc comment is trying to explain.

--
						Rick Heli
						Internet:  rheli@sun.COM