[comp.windows.open-look] OpenWindows crashing on Sparc SLC

grimm@urz.unibas.ch (03/01/91)

Hi,
I'm having a problem running OpenWindows 2 on a Sparc SLC, i.e. xnews
crashes. Actually the error reads:

XNeWS: internal error detected (SIGSEGV).

The weird thing is, that this (discless) SLC is served by a
SparcStation 1 (both running SunOS 4.1), on which OpenWindows runs without
a problem. Even more so: just a few days ago, it even worked on the SLC, and
I can't figure out what change could have caused this.
Does anybody have a clue ?

Stefan

Stefan Grimm
Mathematisches Institut der Universitaet Basel, Schweiz
email: grimm@urz.unibas.ch

asnyder@artorg.hmc.psu.edu (Alan J. Snyder) (03/02/91)

grimm@urz.unibas.ch writes:

>I'm having a problem running OpenWindows 2 on a Sparc SLC, i.e. xnews
>crashes. Actually the error reads:

>XNeWS: internal error detected (SIGSEGV).

>The weird thing is, that this (discless) SLC is served by a
>SparcStation 1 (both running SunOS 4.1), on which OpenWindows runs without
>a problem. Even more so: just a few days ago, it even worked on the SLC, and
>I can't figure out what change could have caused this.
>Does anybody have a clue ?

We've seen OpenWindows crash on a diskless SLC when heavy swapping occurs.  I assumed that something was timing out.  In that case, more memory may help.

- Alan
--
asnyder@ernie.artorg.hmc.psu.edu

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (03/03/91)

In article <asnyder.667848608@ernie>, asnyder@artorg.hmc.psu.edu (Alan J. Snyder) writes:
|> grimm@urz.unibas.ch writes:
|>
|> >I'm having a problem running OpenWindows 2 on a Sparc SLC, i.e. xnews
|> >crashes. Actually the error reads:
|>
|> >XNeWS: internal error detected (SIGSEGV).
|>
|> >The weird thing is, that this (discless) SLC is served by a
|> >SparcStation 1 (both running SunOS 4.1), on which OpenWindows runs without
|> >a problem. Even more so: just a few days ago, it even worked on the SLC, and
|> >I can't figure out what change could have caused this.
|> >Does anybody have a clue ?
|>

|> We've seen OpenWindows crash on a diskless SLC when heavy swapping occurs.  I assumed that something was timing out.  In that case, more memory may help.
|>
|> - Alan
|> --
|> asnyder@ernie.artorg.hmc.psu.edu

OpenWindows Version 2 is not very robust when you run out of swap
space... It usually just crashes with a meaningless error message.  Try
increasing the swap space on the SLC and see if it gets better.  Future
versions of OpenWindows will most certainly get better at handling this
situation.

-Patrick

    Patrick J. Naughton				   email: naughton@sun.com
    Sun Laboratories				   voice: (415) 336 - 1080