[comp.windows.open-look] fonts.alias files and OpenWindows

murphy@photon.mpr.ca (Gail Murphy) (01/26/91)

Are font paths added using xset fp+, particular fonts.alias files,
recognized by the X11/NeWS server?

I use xtex to preview LaTeX documents and have a fonts.alias file
for PostScript fonts that works under MIT X11R4, but not OpenWindows.
xset fp+ <path> adds the directory to the search path, but the
fonts are still not found.  The aliased fonts also do not appear
in an xlsfonts listing.

Is there anyway to solve this problem?  (I've also noticed it under
the X11/NeWS server on an SGI 4D.

Thanks in advance, Gail!

Gail Murphy                     | Voice : (604) 293-5462
MPR Teltech Ltd. 		| Fax   : (604) 293-5787
8999 Nelson Way, Burnaby, BC    | E-Mail: murphy@mprgate.mpr.ca
Canada, V5A 4B5                 |         mprgate.mpr.ca!murphy@uunet.uu.net

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan26.011432.15250@mprgate.mpr.ca>, murphy@photon.mpr.ca (Gail
Murphy) writes:

> Are font paths added using xset fp+, particular fonts.alias files,
> recognized by the X11/NeWS server?

Yes... you can use xset to set the font path.  The problem that you are
experiencing though, is that the X11/NeWS server does not recognize fonts
in the X11 snf format.  It uses an X11/NeWS font format.  You need to
convert the X11 fonts to X11/NeWS fonts in order to use them.  Conversion
is done by using convertfont to do the translation to the correct format,
then using bldfamily to create the font family files.  See the man pages
for the proper flags, synonym files, etc.

--

---
Greg Pasquariello

geg@beep.mlb.semi.harris.com (Greg Garland) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan28.132056@Unify.com>, grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) writes:
|> In article <1991Jan26.011432.15250@mprgate.mpr.ca>, murphy@photon.mpr.ca (Gail
|> Murphy) writes:
|>
|> > Are font paths added using xset fp+, particular fonts.alias files,
|> > recognized by the X11/NeWS server?
|> >

|> Yes... you can use xset to set the font path.  The problem that you are
|> experiencing though, is that the X11/NeWS server does not recognize fonts
|> in the X11 snf format.  It uses an X11/NeWS font format.  You need to
|> convert the X11 fonts to X11/NeWS fonts in order to use them.  Conversion
|> is done by using convertfont to do the translation to the correct format,
|> then using bldfamily to create the font family files.  See the man pages
|> for the proper flags, synonym files, etc.

This doesn't work for me; it just recreates the *.list files in the format
that the Xnews server likes.  It doesn't tell me any way to recreate the
font.alias names from the MIT X11 font directories.

--
Greg Garland - Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force

MS 62-024, Harris Semiconductor Sector, PO Bx 883,
Melbourne  FL 32905.  geg@beep.mlb.semi.harris.com

"Never let the facts interfere with your perception of reality."

elric@imryrr.Eng.Sun.COM (Rick Heli) (02/06/91)

>|> Yes... you can use xset to set the font path.  The problem that you are
>|> experiencing though, is that the X11/NeWS server does not recognize fonts
>|> in the X11 snf format.  It uses an X11/NeWS font format.  You need to
>|> convert the X11 fonts to X11/NeWS fonts in order to use them.  Conversion
>|> is done by using convertfont to do the translation to the correct format,
>|> then using bldfamily to create the font family files.  See the man pages
>|> for the proper flags, synonym files, etc.

All the above is correct.  In addition, be aware that X11/NeWS does not use
the font.alias facility.  Instead, aliases are placed in the Families.list
file of each font directory.  The general format of this file is

	Synonym		Fontname	_FontDirectorySYN

See the $OPENWINHOME/lib/fonts/Families.list near your for examples.

--
						Rick Heli
						Internet:  rheli@sun.COM

karln@uunet.uu.net (03/05/91)

In article <1991Jan29.163439.13623@mlb.semi.harris.com> geg@beep.mlb.semi.harris.com (Greg Garland) writes:
>In article <1991Jan28.132056@Unify.com>, grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) writes:

>|> Yes... you can use xset to set the font path.  The problem that you are
>|> experiencing though, is that the X11/NeWS server does not recognize fonts
>|> in the X11 snf format.  It uses an X11/NeWS font format.  You need to
>|> convert the X11 fonts to X11/NeWS fonts in order to use them.  Conversion
>|> is done by using convertfont to do the translation to the correct format,
>|> then using bldfamily to create the font family files.  See the man pages
>|> for the proper flags, synonym files, etc.
>|>

>This doesn't work for me; it just recreates the *.list files in the format
>that the Xnews server likes.  It doesn't tell me any way to recreate the
>font.alias names from the MIT X11 font directories.

  I have problems as well. The man pages, and convertfont, say that convert
font does NOT know .snf type font files. I am currently stuck in many
places because X11/NeWS fonts do not have the fonts needed.

For example, I am trying to use a program named acm (air combat simulator),
an X11 program. It will not run because it says that

"acm: display karln:0 doesn't know font *courier-bold-r-normal--17*"

which is of course some sort of font error. I first considered the
convertfont, xset and buildfamily but I get nowhere ..

Any help is needed ..

thanks in advance

karln!karln@uunet.uu.net