[comp.windows.open-look] Question: Running OpenLook over the network?

coco@interlan.Interlan.COM (Frank Coco) (03/06/91)

I am interested in running the OpenLook Window manager across an Ethernet
to my X Server but I can't seem to get this to work.  Has anyone successfully
run olwm across the network to a remote X Server.

	Frank.

imp@Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.211252.21925@interlan.Interlan.COM> coco@interlan.interlan.com writes:
>I am interested in running the OpenLook Window manager across an Ethernet
>to my X Server but I can't seem to get this to work.  Has anyone successfully
>run olwm across the network to a remote X Server.

Yes.  Assume that I want to run olwm on marvin and my workstation in
slug2.  Further assume that I want to run olwm on screen 1.  Olwm is a
single screen window manager, so you have to start it for each screen
that you want to manage :-(.  It can be done in the following two ways:

	marvin% setenv DISPLAY slug2:0.1
	marvin% olwm  &

or
	marvin% olwm -display slug2:0.1 &

This assumes that a network connection is possible between marvin and
slug2 and that marvin is allowed to connect to slug2's X server.  I
always to a xhost + in my xinitrc file so I can do stuff like this w/o
thinking.

Warner
--
Warner Losh		imp@Solbourne.COM
We sing about Beauty and we sing about Truth at $10,000 a show.