[comp.windows.open-look] OpaqueMove?

vhs@britesun.radig.de (Volker Herminghaus-Shirai) (03/07/91)

Recently the window server on my Sun 4/60 got somewhat
irritated and stuck for a few seconds. Then, when I tried to move a window,
the whole window, with all it's contents moved instead
of just the frame (similar to what the NeXT does).
Does anybody out there know how to reproduce
this result? I'd like to have that as my default.
I think I've read somthing about 'Opaquemove' or so in the X docs,
but it's long ago and I don't have these X books anymore.
Also I imagine there are a lot of other funny things
one can do to one's window server, so if anyone has an idea
please post it or mail it to me. I will summarize if requested.

Volker

--
Volker Herminghaus-Shirai (vhs@britesun.radig.de)
panic: 80x86! Trying to vomit...

marc@sequoia.cray.com (Marc Bouron) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar6.215726.2250@britesun.radig.de>, vhs@britesun.radig.de (Volker Herminghaus-Shirai) writes:
|> Recently the window server on my Sun 4/60 got somewhat
|> irritated and stuck for a few seconds. Then, when I tried to move a window,
|> the whole window, with all it's contents moved instead
|> of just the frame (similar to what the NeXT does).
|> Does anybody out there know how to reproduce
|> this result? I'd like to have that as my default.
|> I think I've read somthing about 'Opaquemove' or so in the X docs,
|> but it's long ago and I don't have these X books anymore.
|> Also I imagine there are a lot of other funny things
|> one can do to one's window server, so if anyone has an idea
|> please post it or mail it to me. I will summarize if requested.
|>
|> Volker
|>
|> --
|> Volker Herminghaus-Shirai (vhs@britesun.radig.de)
|> panic: 80x86! Trying to vomit...

I don't know about a default for moving windows, but if you hold down
the SHIFT key and pick up a window or icon with the mouse, you get the
same effect.

BTW, holding down the CONTROL key restricts the movement in the X or Y
direction.

[M][a][r][c]

#                           #  marc@sequoia.cray.com           #     .   .     #
#  Marc CR Bouron           #  M.Bouron@cray.co.uk     (ARPA)  #    _|\ /|_    #
#  Cray Research (UK) Ltd.  #  M.Bouron@crayuk.uucp  (DOMAIN)  #   (_|_V_|_)   #
#  +44 344 485971 x2208     #  M.Bouron@uk.co.cray    (JANET)  #     |   |     #
#                           #  ...!ukc!crayuk!M.Bouron (UUCP)  #               #

patl@Eng.Sun.COM (Pat Lashley [MtV NeWStech Eng.]) (03/09/91)

|>  I don't know about a default for moving windows, but if you hold down
|>  the SHIFT key and pick up a window or icon with the mouse, you get the
|>  same effect.
|>
|>  BTW, holding down the CONTROL key restricts the movement in the X or Y
|>  direction.

Actually, SHIFT reverses the setting.  If you have `OpenWindows.DragWindow: on'
in your .Xdefaults the normal action will be to move the entire window, and the
SHIFT action will be to move a bounding-box.

-Pat

vhs@britesun.radig.de (Volker Herminghaus-Shirai) (03/10/91)

I wrote:
>|> Recently the window server on my Sun 4/60 got somewhat
>|> irritated and stuck for a few seconds. Then, when I tried to move a window,
>|> the whole window, with all it's contents moved instead
>|> of just the frame (similar to what the NeXT does).
>|> Does anybody out there know how to reproduce
>|> this result? I'd like to have that as my default.
>|> I think I've read somthing about 'Opaquemove' or so in the X docs,
>|> but it's long ago and I don't have these X books anymore.
>|> Also I imagine there are a lot of other funny things
>|> one can do to one's window server, so if anyone has an idea
>|> please post it or mail it to me. I will summarize if requested.

Here's the summary:

There are three possibilities to achieve this:

1.) Put the following line into your .Xdefaults file:
	OpenWindows.DragWindow:		True

2.) Put a line into your .openwin-menu file that looks like this:
	"Toggle Opaque Move"	FLIPDRAG

3.) Hold down the SHIFT key and pick up a window or icon with the mouse

BTW, holding down the CONTROL key restricts the movement in the X or Y
direction.

Thanks to everyone who answered.

	Volker