[comp.windows.open-look] Mailtool line wrap

kk@shasta.tivoli.com (Kerry Kimbrough) (02/20/91)

Does anyone know a way to tell OpenWindows mailtool to insert newlines at line
break while composing messages, instead of just wrapping at window's edge? I.e.
sorta like Emacs auto-fill-mode?

This defect makes email sent from a mailtool user very hard to read by anyone
using any other mail reader, which in turn makes mailtool unusable in a
community of Emac'ers.

Regards,

Kerry Kimbrough

kk@tivoli.com

marke@richs118.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Mark Ellis) (02/28/91)

The solution which I use is to use the "Format" menu option from the
pull-down "Extras" menu.  You can define your own "Extras" menu (check
you Open Windows Documentation for details, or the man page for textedit.)

Select your entire text (4 clicks), then select "Format" from the "Extras"
menu.  This will run the selected text through the Unix filter "fmt" which
adds new lines at word boundaries.  What column to cut at is a command line
parameter to "fmt".  I also use the "-s" option to "fmt" to keep tables and
such intact.  Hope this helps.

thompson@cs.utah.edu (William Thompson) (03/01/91)

>The solution which I use is to use the "Format" menu option from the
>pull-down "Extras" menu...

Sun REALLY needs to provide a better way to do this.  I don't at all like
having my view of a file in a Text Subwindow different than the actual
format for the text, and I shouldn't have to take special action to put the
two into conformance.  Open Look needs a wrap option in Text Subwindows
that affects both the display and the underlying text.

		William B. Thompson
		University of Utah

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb28.110513.6820@hellgate.utah.edu> thompson@cs.utah.edu (William Thompson) writes:

>   Sun REALLY needs to provide a better way to do this.  I don't at all like
>   having my view of a file in a Text Subwindow different than the actual
>   format for the text, and I shouldn't have to take special action to put the
>   two into conformance.  Open Look needs a wrap option in Text Subwindows
>   that affects both the display and the underlying text.

This can cause a lot of problems. There are times when it is very
convenient to cut and paste between two different windows, and the
line length remains the same. You can resize the window width, and
redisplay the text at the new size. I am not sure how this can be done
so that it always does what you want.  I don't want the windows to
change the formatting of the lines if I am cutting and pasting shell scripts.

There are actually four different ways to solve the problem with
mailtool, using current software:

	1) Use the .text_extras_menu choice fmt. Select the text you
	   want formated, and choose the menu item

	2) You should be able to do the same thing by binding a
	   function key to this function. Add the following to your
	   .textswrc file:
			KEY_RIGHT(4)	FILTER
			fmt
	   Select the text and press the function key.

	3) You could drag and drop. Get the catcher program. You can
	   set up a catcher tool that allows you to drag text over to
	   it, and it will format your text. Then drag it back.
	   I started work on one that would optionally remove the
	   indentation, reformat text, and add the indentation (or '> ')
	   back to the text.

	4) To do this automatically - which I do not recommend, you can
	   set the variable "sendmail" in your .mailrc file to pipe all
	   mail through a special command. This could be a script that
	   would run fmt, and then call sendmail with the proper
	   options.

I don't think #4 is a good idea, because it could mung up programs bad.

Cheers.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

devil@techunix.BITNET (Gil Tene) (03/09/91)

To all you Open Lookers complaining about line(word) wrap in Mailtool
and other textsw based applications under Openwindows :

From xview(1) (VERY long man page...) :

     Resource:      text.lineBreak
     Values:        Clip, Wrap_char, Wrap_word (Wrap_word)
     Description    Determines how the textsw treats  file  lines
                    when  they  are too big to fit on one display
                    line.

I Guess this just about says it all, and yes, I have tested it and
it works fine (Clip doesn't really clip well, but Wrap_char works
allright). So, all you need to do is add the following line to your
private .Xdefaults file:

text.lineBreak:                 Wrap_char

HtH,
-- Gil.
-- Gil Tene                     "Some days it just doesn't pay    --
-- devil@techunix.technion.ac.il  to go to sleep in the morning." --

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (03/11/91)

In article <9902@discus.technion.ac.il>, devil@techunix.BITNET (Gil Tene)
writes:

> To all you Open Lookers complaining about line(word) wrap in Mailtool
> and other textsw based applications under Openwindows :
>
> From xview(1) (VERY long man page...) :
>
>      Resource:      text.lineBreak
>      Values:        Clip, Wrap_char, Wrap_word (Wrap_word)
>      Description    Determines how the textsw treats  file  lines
>                     when  they  are too big to fit on one display
>                     line.
>
> I Guess this just about says it all, and yes, I have tested it and
> it works fine (Clip doesn't really clip well, but Wrap_char works
> allright). So, all you need to do is add the following line to your
> private .Xdefaults file:

The general complaint, is not that it doesn't work, but that it doesn't
insert a newline.  That makes wrapped text next to impossible to read
in a non-XView text field.

> text.lineBreak:                 Wrap_char
>
> -- Gil.
> -- devil@techunix.technion.ac.il  to go to sleep in the morning." --

--

---