[comp.windows.open-look] hardware cursor on a sparc with a GX frame buffer

leo@ai.mit.edu (Leonardo C. Topa) (03/13/91)

How do you make the hardware cursor used if you have a GX frame buffer
disappear after you run openwindows 2.0? When I quit from it, the
cursor remains visible and it's very annoying....

--

Leonardo C. Topa
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

internet: lct@ai.mit.edu

djb@cbnews.att.com (david.j.bryant) (03/13/91)

On "hardware cursor on a sparc with a GX frame buffer", leo@ai.mit.edu
(Leonardo C. Topa) writes:

>How do you make the hardware cursor used if you have a GX frame buffer
>disappear after you run openwindows 2.0? When I quit from it, the
>cursor remains visible and it's very annoying....

This problem is discussed in the SunOS 4.1.1 RevB "Open Issues" document
that came with my 4.1.1 system.  In Chapter 13 of that document, page 34 and
35, you'll find a brief discussion of the problem and a C program that
disables the GX cursor, assumedly to be used after you've exited OpenWindows
and still have the cursor left hanging around.

                                         UUCP: att!cbosgd!djb
        David Bryant                           att!cborion!djb
        AT&T Bell Laboratories       INTERNET: djb@cborion.cb.att.com
        Room 1B-256                            djb@cbosgd.att.com
        6200 East Broad Street          PHONE: (614) 860-4516
        Columbus, Ohio  43213             FAX: (614) 868-4302