[comp.windows.open-look] Dos Windows for OpenWindows?

ramsey@NPIRS.Purdue.EDU (Ed Ramsey) (03/13/91)

Does anyone know if Sun intends to make Dos Windows a native
OpenWindows product, or if they are going to improve sunview
support under openwindows?  I have a couple of pc applications I
am starting to use and it is a real pain having the dos window
splatted over my openwindows, and it also is pretty slow under
openwindows.

-Ed

Ed Ramsey   ramsey@npirs.purdue.edu     317/494-6616    fax 317/494-0535

scott@Futures.COM (Scott Boyd) (03/18/91)

fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) writes:

>My Sun sales rep assures me that Sun is
>licensing this product (or buying it or whatever) and that it will,
>with some improvements, BE DOS Windows 2.0 when that comes out this
>Summer.

>1. Runs Under Open Windows.  That means, among other things, that I
>can run it on one of our 490 servers and have the output displayed on
>my workstation (a 490 makes a pretty peppy PC :-).

YOWZA! It seems that Phoenix Technologies Ltd's attitude *no networked DOS
windows* is finally gonna cost them. Sun has been trying for years to
network its DOS Windows products, but Phoenix kept saying no.

If SoftPC works as well DOSwindows on a Sun386i/250 but networked under
OpenWindows, it will be a nice product.

--
+---------------------+-----------------------------+-------------------------+
| Scott Boyd          | Remember: If looks could    | Working at home again!  |

wagner@iti.org (Larry Wagner) (03/19/91)

scott@Futures.COM (Scott Boyd) writes:

>fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) writes:

>>My Sun sales rep assures me that Sun is
>>licensing this product (or buying it or whatever) and that it will,
>>with some improvements, BE DOS Windows 2.0 when that comes out this
>>Summer.

>>1. Runs Under Open Windows.  That means, among other things, that I
>>can run it on one of our 490 servers and have the output displayed on
>>my workstation (a 490 makes a pretty peppy PC :-).

>YOWZA! It seems that Phoenix Technologies Ltd's attitude *no networked DOS
>windows* is finally gonna cost them. Sun has been trying for years to
>network its DOS Windows products, but Phoenix kept saying no.

>If SoftPC works as well DOSwindows on a Sun386i/250 but networked under
>OpenWindows, it will be a nice product.

But does anyone know if SUN will provide TRUE OpenWindow support to DOS
windows on the 386i's?  Using DOS on a 386i with OpenWindows is a pain
now since the DOS windows are brought up under SunView.  You can't put
the DOS window in the background and this makes it difficult to leave
the DOS window open at the same time you are performing tasks in other
windows.  One of the major reasons why we purchased the 386i was to have
good DOS support (and probably quite a few others) and now we don't have it.
Larry E. Wagner                     | wagner@chepil.weru.ksu.edu
USDA-ARS Wind Erosion Research Unit | wagner@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
105B East Waters Hall, KSU          | ...!{rutgers,texbell}!ksuvax1!weru!wagner
Manhattan, KS 66506                 |phone (913)532-6807