[comp.windows.open-look] open-look MinimalDecor resource

sudweeks@megatest.UUCP (Bruce Sudweeks) (03/16/91)

I'm having problems setting the open-look MinimalDecor resource. According to
the olwm(1) manual, the resource

	OpenWindows.MinimalDecor [list of windows]

should tell the windows in the list to use only a thin boarder and resize
corners. I have tried setting this in my .Xdefaults file and command line
arguments to olwm(1). Anyone have an sucess with this?

		-Bruce Sudweeks-

djb@cbnews.att.com (david.j.bryant) (03/16/91)

On "open-look MinimalDecor resource", sudweeks@megatest.UUCP writes:
>I'm having problems setting the open-look MinimalDecor resource. According to
>the olwm(1) manual, the resource
>
>	OpenWindows.MinimalDecor [list of windows]
>
>should tell the windows in the list to use only a thin boarder and resize
>corners. I have tried setting this in my .Xdefaults file and command line
>arguments to olwm(1). Anyone have an sucess with this?

I have it set in my .Xdefaults file to a list of the applications I want
unobtrusively decorated.  Something like:

	OpenWindows.MinimalDecor: xclock xcal xtodo

Ever wonder what the window manager could do if there was a MaximalDecor
(Rococco, with flying buttresses?) or TastefulDecor (California Beach House?)
resource as well?

                                         UUCP: att!cbosgd!djb
        David Bryant                           att!cborion!djb
        AT&T Bell Laboratories       INTERNET: djb@cborion.cb.att.com
        Room 1B-256                            djb@cbosgd.att.com
        6200 East Broad Street          PHONE: (614) 860-4516
        Columbus, Ohio  43213             FAX: (614) 868-4302

sudweeks@megatest.UUCP (Bruce Sudweeks) (03/19/91)

From article <1991Mar16.123357.20877@cbnews.att.com>, by djb@cbnews.att.com (david.j.bryant):

> I have it set in my .Xdefaults file to a list of the applications I want
> unobtrusively decorated.  Something like:
> 	OpenWindows.MinimalDecor: xclock xcal xtodo
>
>                                          UUCP: att!cbosgd!djb
>         David Bryant                           att!cborion!djb
>         AT&T Bell Laboratories       INTERNET: djb@cborion.cb.att.com

my .Xdefaults file file has:

  	OpenWindows.MinimalDecor: shelltool

It doesn't appear to work.

			-Bruce Sudweeks-
			sun!megatest!sudweeks

openlook-request@openlook (03/20/91)

I believe that shelltools don't set the WM_CLASS property, which
is what you really specify on the MinimalDecor resource.

Frank G.

brown@ftms.UUCP (Vidiot) (03/20/91)

In article <15728@megatest.UUCP> sudweeks@megatest.UUCP (Bruce Sudweeks) writes:
<From article <1991Mar16.123357.20877@cbnews.att.com>, by djb@cbnews.att.com (david.j.bryant):
<
<> I have it set in my .Xdefaults file to a list of the applications I want
<> unobtrusively decorated.  Something like:
<> 	OpenWindows.MinimalDecor: xclock xcal xtodo
<>
<>                                          UUCP: att!cbosgd!djb
<>         David Bryant                           att!cborion!djb
<>         AT&T Bell Laboratories       INTERNET: djb@cborion.cb.att.com
<
<my .Xdefaults file file has:
<
<
<  	OpenWindows.MinimalDecor: shelltool
<
<
<
<It doesn't appear to work.

That is because it doesn't have the WM_CLASS property.  Run xprop and click on
the header of a shelltool and you see that it isn't there.  Pick on a program
like xloadimage and you will find that it is there.

In other words, there must be a WM_CLASS property for this to work.
--
harvard\
  ucbvax!uwvax!astroatc!ftms!brown