[comp.windows.open-look] `xset m` does not work under Openwin 2.0

victoria@hera.Sbi.Com (Victoria S. Drozdov) (03/21/91)

I cannot get `xset m` to work under Openwindows 2.0

The environment is Sparc 1+ SunOS 4.1.1

I tried all sorts of combinations:
	xset m 100
	xset m 100 1

I can check `xset -q` and actually see the right
information. But for some reason the acceleration
of the mouse does not change.

Has anyone ran into a similar problem???

-Victoria
--
          ===== FOR SALOMON EYES ONLY ======
Victoria S. Drozdov             Phone:  (212)747-7595

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (03/22/91)

xset m doesn't work in V2... use input_from_defaults(1) from SunView.

(this is fixed in the latest (as of yet unreleased) version...)

In article <539@aurora.hera.Sbi.Com>, victoria@hera.Sbi.Com (Victoria S. Drozdov) writes:
|> I cannot get `xset m` to work under Openwindows 2.0
|>
|> The environment is Sparc 1+ SunOS 4.1.1
|>
|> I tried all sorts of combinations:
|> 	xset m 100
|> 	xset m 100 1
|>
|> I can check `xset -q` and actually see the right
|> information. But for some reason the acceleration
|> of the mouse does not change.
|>
|> Has anyone ran into a similar problem???
|>
|> -Victoria
|> --
|>           ===== FOR SALOMON EYES ONLY ======
|> Victoria S. Drozdov             Phone:  (212)747-7595
|> Fulcrum                         Email:   victoria@fulcrum.sbi.com
|> One New York Plaza, 43rd floor

    Patrick J. Naughton				   email: naughton@sun.com
    Sun Laboratories				   voice: (415) 336 - 1080

ascott@fws214.intel.com (Andy Scott ~) (03/22/91)

Victoria> I cannot get `xset m` to work under Openwindows 2.0

Victoria> The environment is Sparc 1+ SunOS 4.1.1

Victoria> Has anyone ran into a similar problem???

Victoria> -Victoria
Victoria> --
Victoria>           ===== FOR SALOMON EYES ONLY ======
Victoria> Victoria S. Drozdov             Phone:  (212)747-7595
Victoria> Fulcrum                         Email:   victoria@fulcrum.sbi.com
Victoria> One New York Plaza, 43rd floor

I have a 386i running SunOS4.0.2 and Openwindows 2.0.  I fumbled with
this one too until I found the buglist in $OPENWINHOME/share/buglist.xnews,
which has the following:

ALL OPEN BUGS (NOT YET FIXED)
=============================

Bug id  Cat.    Sub Cat.    Synopsis
------  ----    --------    --------

1038911 x11news server      Cannot set mouse acceleration

This bug has irritated me and infuriated the graphics layout people.
Anyone know if it is patchable.

Andy Scott
Andrew M. Scott               Intel Corporation, M/S FM2-26
ascott@fws214.intel.com       1900 Prairie City Road
(916) 351-6369                Folsom, CA 95630, USA

brossard@sic.epfl.ch (Alain Brossard EPFL-SIC/SII) (03/22/91)

In article <539@aurora.hera.Sbi.Com>, victoria@hera.Sbi.Com (Victoria S. Drozdov) writes:
> I cannot get `xset m` to work under Openwindows 2.0

	It doesn't work under the OW 2.0 server.  One
more reason to use the server from MIT.
--

Alain Brossard, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne,
	SIC/SII, EL-Ecublens, CH-1015 Lausanne, Suisse

victoria@hera.Sbi.Com (Victoria S. Drozdov) (03/25/91)

In article <ASCOTT.91Mar21181534@fws214.intel.com>, ascott@fws214.intel.com (Andy Scott ~) writes:
> Victoria> I cannot get `xset m` to work under Openwindows 2.0
>
> Bug id  Cat.    Sub Cat.    Synopsis
> ------  ----    --------    --------
> 1038911 x11news server      Cannot set mouse acceleration
>
> This bug has irritated me and infuriated the graphics layout people.
> Anyone know if it is patchable.

I did get a response from Sun.

This functionality will be available in Openwin 3.0, which
I believe will be out in a Beta form in about a month.

-Victoria

--

jasons@frosty.TEK.COM (E. Jason Scheck;923-4519) (03/26/91)

In article <ASCOTT.91Mar21181534@fws214.intel.com>,
ascott@fws214.intel.com (Andy Scott ~) writes:
|> ALL OPEN BUGS (NOT YET FIXED)
|> =============================
|>
|> Bug id  Cat.    Sub Cat.    Synopsis
|> ------  ----    --------    --------
|> 1038911 x11news server      Cannot set mouse acceleration
|>
|> This bug has irritated me and infuriated the graphics layout people.
|> Anyone know if it is patchable.
|>
|> Andy Scott

I believe that mouse settings from the .defaults file (from Suntools)
are used.  Originally it took me a couple weeks to figure out why the
mouse was so fast as to be unusable with xnews, but was fine with
the mit server.

Jason Scheck
jasons@master.CNA.TEK.COM