[comp.windows.open-look] need FAQ for OpenLook

jonas@lkbpyr.UUCP (Jonas Heyman) (03/21/91)

FAQ for OpenLook wanted,could anybody send me a copy.
Thanks Jonas.

--

  /jonas@lkbpyr.lkb.se/

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (03/22/91)

In article <1779@lkbpyr.UUCP>, jonas@lkbpyr.UUCP (Jonas Heyman) writes:

> FAQ for OpenLook wanted,could anybody send me a copy.
> Thanks Jonas.

I'm not sure one exists (at least I haven't been keeping one).  But
I should probably start.  If you have any submissions for it, send
them directly to me at grp@unify.com.

-greg

>   /jonas@lkbpyr.lkb.se/

---
Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com
Unify Corporation 	Be good and never poison people

dgh@Unify.com (David Harrington) (03/27/91)

--

Don't forget the one about TextEdit not inserting newlines when it does
wordwrap.  This comes up *all* the time here, and I have yet to see a

--
David Harrington                                  internet: dgh@eire.unify.COM
Director, ACCELL Development               ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!eire!dgh

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.122443@Unify.com> dgh@Unify.com (David Harrington) writes:
>   Don't forget the one about TextEdit not inserting newlines when it does
>   wordwrap.  This comes up *all* the time here, and I have yet to see a
>   satisfactory answer (i.e. how to get it to work, or that it will be fixed).

I realize there isn't a good answer, but this isn't a bug. It's more
of a missing feature. When I cut text from a wide window, and paste it
into a narrow window, I *don't* want the text reformated. likewise,
when textedit/cmdtool does a word wrap, I *don't* always want new
lines added. Doing this would break shell scripts in particular.

It's like Emacs - sometimes it's in text mode, other
times it's not. In text mode I want word wrap to add new lines.
In other modes I do not.

Perhaps this should be an option you can enable with an
escape sequence:

alias TextOn '/usr/5bin/echo "\033[>8h\c"'
alias TextOff '/usr/5bin/echo "\033[>8l\c"'

You can disable paging and scrolling with similar commands.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	uunet!crdgw1!barnett