[comp.windows.open-look] Misc OpenWindows 2.0 questions

lwv27@LOCAL.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/19/91)

1. When I try to run oneko, it tells me that my Sparc 1+ display does
not support the shape extention.  When I look in /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.a
I see an XShape.o - doesnt that module mean that OW 2.0 supports Shape?

How can I tell what extentions a server supports?

Also, oneko does not seem to turn my mouse cursor into a mouse - does
anyone know of a fix for that, is does that have to do with the
problem of the shape extention?

Seems funny that NeWS, with its innate shape capabilities, is having
problems at this point, if indeed it is.

2. What special variables (perhaps even environmental variables)
need to be set up so that imake works in the OW2.0 environment?

3.  Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to achieve my goal?
I am running OpenWindows 2.0 on a Sparc 1+.  I would like to be
able to set a default font for my shelltool windows.  I have
tried:

shelltool.Font.Name: screen19
shelltool*Font.Name: screen19
Shelltool*Font.Name: screen19
Font.Name: screen19

This last comes close - but it seems to make EVERY XView window use that
font - which is not what I really want.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to achieve my goal?

4. I am having QUITE a hard time cutting and pasting between shelltools -
I find that sometimes, I get exactly what I want, but other times I
get just pieces of what is selected.  Typically I am cutting from a less
type window into vi...

--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

openlook-request@openlook.ogi.edu (03/20/91)

> How can I tell what extentions a server supports?

	xdpyinfo

> Also, oneko does not seem to turn my mouse cursor into a mouse - does
> anyone know of a fix for that, is does that have to do with the
> problem of the shape extention?

	OW 2.0 does not support the Shape extension.

> Seems funny that NeWS, with its innate shape capabilities, is having
> problems at this point, if indeed it is.

	The "problems" with NeWS have nothing to do with supporting
	the X Window Shape extension.  And also recall that an
	extension may or *may not* be available...  In this case, its not.

	Frank G.

	If you want "decent" arbitrary shapes for output *and* input,
	use NeWS or Display Postscript.

doug@crdgw1.ge.com (Doug Becker) (03/20/91)

    When I look in /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.a
    I see an XShape.o - doesnt that module mean that OW 2.0 supports Shape?

No.  Xlib and the server are two separate entities, and you're looking at
Xlib.  The OW 2.0 server does not support SHAPE.

    How can I tell what extentions a server supports?

From the command line, you can use xdpyinfo.  From Xlib, you can use
XListExtensions.

    Seems funny that NeWS, with its innate shape capabilities, is having
    problems at this point, if indeed it is.

NeWS is not having problems, you're having difficulty understanding that X
is not NeWS.  In OW 2.0, if you want a nonrectangular window, you'll have
to use NeWS, and by doing so the difference between X and NeWS will become
all too obvious to you.  :-)

--

Doug Becker
doug@nmri.ge.com

smart@manta.mel.dit.CSIRO.AU (Robert Smart) (03/21/91)

In article <0idvlp3@openlook.Unify.Com> sane!genmri!doug@crdgw1.ge.com (Doug Becker) writes:

>No.  Xlib and the server are two separate entities, and you're looking at
>Xlib.  The OW 2.0 server does not support SHAPE.

I think I've worked out at last that Openwindows is not up to running
standard X11 programs. I reckon I should be able to get them for
misleading advertising. Be that as it may, has anyone worked out how to
run the applications that come with Openwindows under tvtwm and the
X11R4 server?

Bob Smart <smart@mel.dit.csiro.au>

abraham@hugin.dk (Per Abrahamsen) (03/23/91)

   From: smart@manta.mel.dit.CSIRO.AU (Robert Smart)
   Newsgroups: comp.windows.open-look

   In article <0idvlp3@openlook.Unify.Com>  (Doug Becker) writes:

   >No.  Xlib and the server are two separate entities, and you're looking at
   >Xlib.  The OW 2.0 server does not support SHAPE.

   I think I've worked out at last that Openwindows is not up to running
   standard X11 programs. I reckon I should be able to get them for
   misleading advertising.

Since SHAPE is not part of X11 (that's what extension means) you won't
win that one.  Some programs will not run without some bugs or
peculiarities of the MIT X11R4 implementation, but that is hardly
Sun's fault.  You should instead flame them for having such a slow,
memory wasting, and generally buggy server.

   Be that as it may, has anyone worked out how to
   run the applications that come with Openwindows under tvtwm and the
   X11R4 server?

Why?  The deskset applications are easy to learn for beginners, and
cute too, but generally less useful than the PD equivalents.  If you
want them because they are easy for beginners, you probably also want
olwm.

Deskset + olwm + X11R4 works fine here.

openlook-request@openlook (03/23/91)

> I think I've worked out at last that Openwindows is not up to running
> standard X11 programs. I reckon I should be able to get them for
> misleading advertising.

Gees... my OpenWindows runs "standard" X pgms fine...
The SHAPE extension, like any other X extension, is not
guaranteed to be available on any X server that you have.

Frank G.

thp@relay.EU.net (Timothy H Panton.) (03/24/91)

> Gees... my OpenWindows runs "standard" X pgms fine...

Actually it doesn't run mine fine, I have a widget that is about 10x slower
to realize in OW2 than in R4. Dunno why, I haven't had time to investigate.
Tim.
|Tim Panton, Westhawk Ltd.    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for  |
|Phone: +44 928722574         	   they are subtle and quick to anger."      |
|Email: thp%westhawk.uucp@ukc.ac.uk       The Lord of the Rings.             |
|Paper: Westhawk Ltd. 26 Rydal Grove, Helsby, Cheshire, WA6 OET. UK.         |

smart@manta.mel.dit.CSIRO.AU (Robert Smart) (03/24/91)

>> I think I've worked out at last that Openwindows is not up to running
>> standard X11 programs. I reckon I should be able to get them for
>> misleading advertising.
>
>Gees... my OpenWindows runs "standard" X pgms fine...
>The SHAPE extension, like any other X extension, is not
>guaranteed to be available on any X server that you have.

I am interested in this. Do xmh and xman from the X11R4 work fine for
you? Did you do anything special? Around here

  (a) Xmh user defined buttons don't quite work (have to use shift click
      to invoke I seem to remember).

  (b) Xmh comes up with an unsuitable font.

  (c) Xman doesn't start up at all.

I just assumed the "shape" business was a part of the general syndrome.
Maybe it isn't -- I'm not an X-pert. As I said to another person who
queried my competence: why would you bring out a server with less features
than the free server??? Maybe there are good reasons.

Bob Smart

hallett@positron.com (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (03/25/91)

=> Gee - I dont understand how you folks who have gotten the client
=> software from MIT X11R4 got some of it to work.  When I try to run
=> the makes there are missing libraries, header files, etc.  When I try
=> to run xman I get streams of msgs about widget problems and a window
=> which has only one button highlighted - the quit button.  When I tried
=> xpostit I got similar behaviour.  As I have mentioned in previous

I agree with Larry.  While we've gotten a lot of  it to  work,  we get
some strange problems.  I have the same problems  with xman.  Further,
a number of  the games, like Xtrek, refuse  to accept keyboard  input.
Mouse button input works just fine.

Strange.

	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201
	    (414) 548-5163 : EMAIL -  hallettJ@gemed.ge.com
	      "I don't think so. Homey don't play dat."

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar24.115139.7150@mel.dit.csiro.au> smart@manta.mel.dit.CSIRO.AU (Robert Smart) writes:

     (c) Xman doesn't start up at all.

Can't say whether anything about Xmh (don't use it myself), but xman
from the X11R4 tape works just fine.  This is on a Sun 4, SunOS
4.0.3c, OpenWindows 2.0.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

smarks@Eng.Sun.COM (Stuart Marks) (03/27/91)

There are a bunch of different problems being intermixed here, so I'll try
to separate them.  There are indeed some problems with OpenWindows, but
not all bad behavior is caused by them.

    => Gee - I dont understand how you folks who have gotten the client
    => software from MIT X11R4 got some of it to work.  When I try to run
    => the makes there are missing libraries, header files, etc.

This is probably because we don't ship the Athena widget set (libXaw) with
OpenWindows.  The Athena widgets are supported by MIT, and your best bet
is to use the X11R4 versions.

    => When I try
    => to run xman I get streams of msgs about widget problems

Grumble.  This is caused by what some people (including me) consider to be
a misfeature.  When we were going to ship OpenWindows 2.0, we took the
latest version of Xt from MIT (up to patch level 9, I think), and compiled
and shipped it.  Unfortunately, the next patch changed the Xt revision
number.  So, if you compiled something using a recent patch of X11R4, and
ran it with OpenWindows, you'd get a bunch of error messages complaining
about a version mismatch.  You can probably replace the OpenWindows
version of libXt with the X11R4 versions.

    => and a window
    => which has only one button highlighted - the quit button.  When I tried
    => xpostit I got similar behaviour.

This is probably because the programs in question can't find their
app-defaults files.  Make sure that app-defaults files are installed
properly in /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults, or set up the XFILESEARCHPATH
environment variable so that the programs can find them.  If, for example,
you've installed programs in /usr/local (and their app-defaults files in
/usr/local/lib/app-defaults), you should set up your XFILESEARCHPATH
environment variable to contain

	/usr/local/lib/%T/%N%S

For an explanation of the %-sequences, see p. 860 of Asente & Swick, "The
X Window System Toolkit".

    Further, a number of the games, like Xtrek, refuse to accept keyboard
    input.  Mouse button input works just fine.

This is a bug in xtrek.  Programs need to set the input "hints" in order to
work properly under many window managers, and xtrek doesn't do this.  Some
popular window managers (such as twm) typically leave the focus in
PointerRoot mode, so applications like xtrek seem to "work".  However, if
you run them under other window managers (like olwm or mwm, the Motif
window manager), they will have problems accepting the input focus.

s'marks

Stuart W. Marks			ARPA: smarks@eng.sun.com
Windows & Graphics Software	UUCP: sun!smarks
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

kevin@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kevin Carothers) (03/29/91)

In article <BAUMGART.91Mar25093758@info7.esquire.dpw.com> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
%In article <1991Mar24.115139.7150@mel.dit.csiro.au> smart@manta.mel.dit.CSIRO.AU (Robert Smart) writes:
%
%     (c) Xman doesn't start up at all.
%

  Since a problem description wasn't given, I'd say to try putting
  this in your .Xdefaults file:

      xman*input:      True

  Of course, enter the "xrdb -load .Xdefaults" afterwards :)

  You might find this works(helps) with just about any X client
  that solicit you for input when running on newer window managers.

--

Kevin Carothers   {csun,psivax,philabs,retix}!ttidca!kevin

devil@diablery.10A.com (Gil Tene) (03/29/91)

In article <a66ufdv@openlook.Unify.Com>, hallett@positron.com (Jeff Hallett x5163	) writes:
> => Gee - I dont understand how you folks who have gotten the client
> => software from MIT X11R4 got some of it to work.  When I try to run
> => the makes there are missing libraries, header files, etc.  When I try
> => to run xman I get streams of msgs about widget problems and a window
> => which has only one button highlighted - the quit button.  When I tried
> => xpostit I got similar behaviour.  As I have mentioned in previous
> I agree with Larry.  While we've gotten a lot of  it to  work,  we get
> some strange problems.  I have the same problems  with xman.  Further,
> a number of  the games, like Xtrek, refuse  to accept keyboard  input.
> Mouse button input works just fine.

Well, I must agree with both of you about dbxtool, the sunview version
has me spoiled... But, I found that keeping both an X11R4 version and
an openwindows versions on my system, running OpenWindows as the
server and linking clients to the R4 libs, I get just about everything
to work right. You need to keep the LD_LIBRARY_PATH right for R4 clients,
but that's about it.

The Xtrek (and some others) problem is actually a olwm problem, not
one with OW. When I run OW, but with twm as my WM, Xtrek runs just
fine. I think the real problem is with Xtrek, and some other apps
not being ICCCM compliant (from what I picked up on the net).

-- Gil
-- Gil Tene			"Some days it just dosn't pay      -
-- devil%imp@uunet.uu.net	   to go to sleep in the morning." -
-- devil@diablery.10A.com 					   -

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (03/30/91)

In article <25020@ttidca.TTI.COM> kevin@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kevin Carothers) writes:

     Since a problem description wasn't given, I'd say to try putting
     this in your .Xdefaults file:

	 xman*input:      True

     Of course, enter the "xrdb -load .Xdefaults" afterwards :)

     You might find this works(helps) with just about any X client
     that solicit you for input when running on newer window managers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I was having a similar problem with
xdvi, and putting "xdvi*input: true" in my .Xdefaults makes it work.