[comp.windows.open-look] Filemgr broken?

brown@ftms.UUCP (Vidiot) (03/27/91)

It appears that I have stumbled upon a Sun "feature".  We have OW 2.0 and
when using $ENV names inside of .filetype, the file manager program will
only except it if it is $OPENWINHOME.  If you try for any other variable,
say $OPEN, it will spit out an error message about not being able to open
the icon file.

Did Sun really break the file manager so that it will only except one
environment variable name?  If so, they should get their head out of the
sand.  Because it really sucks and makes it difficult to make a portable
.filetype file.

Has anyone else run across this "feature"?  Has anyone fixed this "feature"?
Am I SOL?  Am I bitter?  You bet, I spent hours trying to figure this out,
and of course, there isn't any documentation on /etc/filetype and what is or
isn't allowed.  The DeskSet book is NOT for programmers.  Sad situation.
--
harvard\
  ucbvax!uwvax!astroatc!ftms!brown

dd@mips.com (** Planet of the Unholy Leeches from Mars **) (04/02/91)

In article <36@ftms.UUCP> brown@ftms.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>It appears that I have stumbled upon a Sun "feature".  We have OW 2.0 and
>when using $ENV names inside of .filetype, the file manager program will
>only except it if it is $OPENWINHOME.  If you try for any other variable,
>say $OPEN, it will spit out an error message about not being able to open
>the icon file.

Here's a bug report I filed last June.  Maybe someone at Sun could look it
up and see if it was ever evaluated.

 Bug Id: 1040458
 Category: tools
 Subcategory: xview
 Bug/Rfe: bug
 Synopsis: .filetype problems
A couple of problems in using .filetype:

1. You should be able to specify an alternate "magic" file instead of
   /etc/magic, or just put magic numbers in .filetype.

2. Filemgr has special case code to expand $OPENWINHOME, but otherwise
   you have to specify absolute paths for icons.  It should understand
   ~ notation and expand environment variables.  It would also be nice
   if it searched a specified path for unqualified names.

--
David DiGiacomo, MIPS Computer Systems, Sunnyvale, CA  dd@mips.com