[comp.windows.open-look] MENU Help !!

matthew@gizmo.UK.Sun.COM (Matthew Buller - Sun EHQ - MIS) (03/26/91)

I am faily new to Open-Look, and I am running V2 on a SS1
Does anyone know how to list the programs internal to the root menu, ie:-

"Utilities" MENU
	"Refresh..."	REFRESH <--+

Where does this reside ???   ------+

Is there a list somewhere ??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also is there a list of ALL the possible default settings that can be used in
the .Xdefaults file ??

TNX in advance

Matt

grp@magpie.unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (03/27/91)

>I am faily new to Open-Look, and I am running V2 on a SS1
>Does anyone know how to list the programs internal to the root menu, ie:-
>

>"Utilities" MENU
>	"Refresh..."	REFRESH <--+
>Where does this reside ???   ------+

It's a special window manager command.  The list of window
manager commands can be gotten from the man page, and it
includes things like REFRESH, RESTART, etc.

schwartz@nynexst.com (S. H. Schwartz) (04/03/91)

In article <12509@sundc.East.Sun.COM> matthew@gizmo.UK.Sun.COM (Matthew Buller - Sun EHQ - MIS) writes:
>I am faily new to Open-Look, and I am running V2 on a SS1
>	"Refresh..."	REFRESH <--+
>Where does this reside ???   ------+

This is window manager material.  See the "olwm" manpage.

>Also is there a list of ALL the possible default settings that can be used in
>the .Xdefaults file ??

I think not.  .Xdefaults is the place where applications look for users'
customizations.  Thus, each application specifies its own resources.
There are some conventions, e.g. "foreground" and "background" for colors,
that are shared by many applications, but there's no "Big Book of Settings."

OTOH, the window system manpages (olwm, openwin, etc.) are good places to
start in looking for general settings.  Also see the manpages for
system-utility-type applications, e.g. cmdtool, shelltool, textedit,
filemgr.
--
S. H. Schwartz						schwartz@nynexst.com
Expert Systems Laboratory				914-683-2960