[comp.windows.open-look] SPARCprinter problems

pavern@uk.ac.man.cs (Nigel Paver (SF ra)) (04/05/91)

We currently have a SPARCprinter on loan for a week to evaluate it before
parting with any money. During this period we have had problems printing
diagrams in latex. We have diagrams generated by framemaker, fig and other
programs, that print alright when printed on their own, but when included
in latex they get corrupted. (I have tried using the fixframe on the
framemaker documents before importing them, but his made no difference).
All the documents have been successfully printed on our other standard
laser writers.

Another possibly related problem is that we have had framemaker figures
that print when imported in latex, but only when there was 1 document page
per a4 sheet. 2 pages per A4 sheet corrupted the the diagrams (-x 2).

Some other questions I like to ask:

   1. I have a postscript file that printed alright on a laser writer
      with the following line in it:
             /Times findfont 10 scalefont setfont

      when I printed it on the SPARCprinter a message came out after
      the file saying:
	Times not found, using Courier
      if I look through the demo program font browser in openwindows
      it seems to have all the Times fonts/sizes I could ever want!.
      Why does it complain?

   2. How often do I have to use the fixframe utility?. I have tried
      a few framemaker documents and they have come out alright without
      using fixframe.

   3. How to I change the default resolution on the SPARCprinter?
      300dpi/400dpi ? (sun did not leave us any manuals!)

I would also be interested to hear from people who have used this
printer and their opinions on its reliability/compatability.
I have found that for graphics the SPARCprinter set up is much faster
than our old Laser writers (35 seconds cf. 15+minutes).

other info: Host SPARCstation IPC, 36 Mbyte, SunOS.4.1.1 openwindows 2.0

Thanks

--Nigel
                             Nigel Paver.
			    AMULET Group,
   Room 2.46 Computer Science. Building,  Department of Computer Science,
   University of Manchester,   Oxford Road,  Manchester,   M13 9PL,  UK.
   Janet: pavern@uk.ac.man.cs                        Tel: +44-61-275-6177
   UUCP:  ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!man.cs!pavern          Fax: +44-61-275-6280
   Inet:  pavern%cs.man.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk     Int: 6177

rberlin@birdlandEng.Sun.COM (Rich Berlin) (04/08/91)

In article <PAVERN.91Apr5142018@r8s.uk.ac.man.cs>, pavern@uk.ac.man.cs (Nigel Paver (SF ra)) writes:
|>    1. I have a postscript file that printed alright on a laser writer
|>       with the following line in it:
|>              /Times findfont 10 scalefont setfont
|>
|>       when I printed it on the SPARCprinter a message came out after
|>       the file saying:
|> 	Times not found, using Courier
|>       if I look through the demo program font browser in openwindows
|>       it seems to have all the Times fonts/sizes I could ever want!.
|>       Why does it complain?

Someone may have mislead you by abbreviating the name.  The fonts in
that family are named Times-Roman, Times-Bold, etc.  When I do

    /Times findfont

on an Adobe interpreter it replies

    %%[ Warning: Times not found, using Courier. ]%%

I would therefore assume that your other printer has a font called
Times, or perhaps a findfont procedure which does partial matching on
the name.  If you really want to be able to call it "Times" you could
try modifying a Synonyms.list file in one of the directories searched
by your FONTPATH.

|>    2. How often do I have to use the fixframe utility?. I have tried
|>       a few framemaker documents and they have come out alright without
|>       using fixframe.

The fixframe program was written in order to allow pageview to preview
documents from FrameMaker (normally, pageview only works on DSC
compliant PostScript.)  I don't see any reason for you to need
fixframe when printing....

|>    3. How to I change the default resolution on the SPARCprinter?
|>       300dpi/400dpi ? (sun did not leave us any manuals!)

There's a utility included with PreLimn.  If you print using pl
instead of lpr, you can do

% pl file :res400

to get 400 dpi (and conversely, :res300 to get 300 dpi).  The printer
can be set up to default to whichever resolution you like, so if you
want a particular resolution, it would be best to specify it.

The res400 macro inserts postscript into your document, something like:
/setres where {pop 400 setres} if

I've spoken to at least one person on the net who has a dvi-to-ps
program that he's configured to do this automatically,  Unfortunately
I can't remember the name.  Perhaps he'll read this and post again?

-- Rich

rdong@MSRI.ORG (Rui-Tao Dong) (04/09/91)

	--- Stuff deleted -----

>|>    3. How to I change the default resolution on the SPARCprinter?
>|>       300dpi/400dpi ? (sun did not leave us any manuals!)
>
>There's a utility included with PreLimn.  If you print using pl
>instead of lpr, you can do
>
>% pl file :res400
>
>to get 400 dpi (and conversely, :res300 to get 300 dpi).  The printer
>can be set up to default to whichever resolution you like, so if you
>want a particular resolution, it would be best to specify it.
>
>The res400 macro inserts postscript into your document, something like:
>/setres where {pop 400 setres} if
>
>I've spoken to at least one person on the net who has a dvi-to-ps
>program that he's configured to do this automatically,  Unfortunately
>I can't remember the name.  Perhaps he'll read this and post again?
>
>-- Rich

	I'm reposting the article I posted before.

	Thanks to rberlin@birdlandEng.Sun.COM (Rich Berlin), I'm able to
print at 400 dpi on our SparcPrinter now. The trick is to inject the
following PostScript code into the psfile you are going to print.
%@(#)resolution400.ps	1.4	10/15/90
/SetResolution {
	/setres where {
		/setres get exec
	}{
		pop
	} ifelse
} def

%%BeginFeature *SetResolution 400
400 SetResolution
%% EndFeature

	I have a solution for TeX and dvips users. Suppose your
SparcPrinter is also called "Goudy" as we do. Put the above ps code into a
file named "resolution400.ps" and place it in the directory where dvips
finds its header file tex.pro. Copy config.ps into config.Goudy and add the
folllowing lines to it.

*	This is a comment line.
*
*	set default resolution
*
D 400
*
*	include the file "resolution400.ps"
*
h resolution400.ps
*
*	send it to Goudy and suppress printing the bursting page
*
o !lpr -PGoudy -h
*
*

	When you need to print a dvi file at 400 dpi, all you need to do is
to type dvips -PGoudy file.dvi and then go to the Printer Goudy to pick up
the pages.

	Make sure that you have the 400 dpi pk fonts (unless you are using
ps fonts), or you have MakeTeXPK installed correctly.

Regards,

	Rui - Tao  Dong         |       (415) 237 - 7628 (H)
	110 Lakeshore Court     |       (415) 643 - 6048 (O)
	Richmond, CA 94804      |       rdong@borel.msri.org