[comp.windows.open-look] Open Look Widgets, 3-D?

kkirksey@eng.auburn.edu (Kenneth B. Kirksey) (04/10/91)

Hiya,
	I'm in the middle of my first Open Look program (under X) and I'm
wondering why when I use the OpenLook widgets they don't have the cool 3-D
effect that I have with the olwm window manager, the mailtool, etc.  Is
there some resource or variable I need to set for this?

+---------------------------+------------------------------------------------+
| Ken Kirksey               | "I stay driven 'cause there's nowhere to park, |
|                           |  I can't shut my eyes, I'm afraid of the dark, |
| Computer Engineering      |  I lie awake, that stone left me chilled to    |
|                           | 		the bone,                            |
| Auburn University         |  Sound the alarm before it's done,             |
|                           |  Find Jim Morrison!"                           |
| kkirksey@eng.auburn.edu   |                             - Steve Taylor     |
+---------------------------+------------------------------------------------+

djb@cbnews.att.com (david.j.bryant) (04/10/91)

On "Open Look Widgets, 3-D?", kkirksey@eng.auburn.edu writes:
>	I'm in the middle of my first Open Look program (under X) and I'm
>wondering why when I use the OpenLook widgets they don't have the cool 3-D
>effect that I have with the olwm window manager, the mailtool, etc.  Is
>there some resource or variable I need to set for this?

OpenWindows OLIT 2.0 is only a 2-D toolkit.  However, contact your local
Sun sales rep and ask about getting the OLIT 2.5 distribution, which is
based on Unix System Laboratories' Open Look 4.0 toolkit and therefore
has a 3-D look (and some other nifty new features).  OLIT 2.5 is an
add-on to OpenWindows 2.0 that replaces the OLIT 2.0 code, and also
contains an updated version of libXt.a that'll elminate all that ugly
"widget version mismatch" messaging.

                                         UUCP: att!cbosgd!djb
        David Bryant                           att!cborion!djb
        AT&T Bell Laboratories       INTERNET: djb@cborion.cb.att.com
        Room 1B-256                            djb@cbosgd.att.com
        6200 East Broad Street          PHONE: (614) 860-4516
        Columbus, Ohio  43213             FAX: (614) 868-4302

lih@att.com (Andrew Lih) (04/12/91)

If you are using the OLIT (Open Look Intrinsics) under Openwindows
2.0, then the 2.5-D look is all you will get.  The next version of
OLIT will have full 3-D effect.

Andrew Lih
AT&T Bell Labs
lih@probe.mt.att.com

Amy.Moore@Corp.Sun.COM (Amy) (04/12/91)

>>From owner-openlook@uunet.uu.net Fri Apr 12 07:27:10 1991
>>To: openlook@uunet.UU.NET
>>Newsgroups: comp.windows.open-look
>>Subject: Open Look Widgets, 3-D?
>>
>>Hiya,
>>	I'm in the middle of my first Open Look program (under X) and I'm
>>wondering why when I use the OpenLook widgets they don't have the cool 3-D
>>effect that I have with the olwm window manager, the mailtool, etc.  Is
>>there some resource or variable I need to set for this?

I'm guessing you are using an older version of the OLIT toolkit -
the version which ships with OpenWindows V2 is based on USL's older
Release2.0, which was 2d only.  However, the good news is that USL
released a 3D version last December, known as Release4.0.

Sun will be releasing a new version of OLIT based on Release4.0 (thus
3D) soon. Contact Heather Rose, Sun's OLIT Product Manager, for details.

Regards,
Amy Moore
aim@sun.com

sury@Eng.Sun.COM (K. S. Suryanarayanan) (04/12/91)

Hi

OLIT(OpenLook Intrinsics Toolkit) that came with OpenWindows 2.0(which I think
you're using) unfortunately does'nt support 3-D.

The good news is that we have an unbundled release of OLIT and the version
is 2.5 which has

	* 3-D
 	* mouseless
	* new widgets
	* numerous bug fixes, enhanced features, etc.

I'd strongly recommend this release namely OLIT 2.5

Hope this helps.

Sury.