[comp.windows.open-look] XDM under OpenWin 2.0

ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) (04/16/91)

Hi Guys,

I have been trying (on and off over the past few months) to get xdm working
under OpenWindows 2.  I have fetched and compiled all the extra libraries
that I needed had the thing is compiled and runs.  It even brings up the
login screen after having run the xnews server etc, everything I want it to
do.  Except that the login just runs straight through and exits back out to
the login screen (Yes my .xsession is readable and executable :)  The
configuration is given below in the Xservers, Xsession and ~/.xsession
files.  By using echos as a crude tracing mechanism I have been able to
establish that everything is run, but for some reason olwm does not wait.
So it jumps back out to the login screen.

I'm sure that people out there have done this.  Can you tell me what it is
I am doing wrong.

thanx in advance
ant

Xservers:
:0 local /usr/openwin/bin/xnews

Xsession:	/* Cut down to exclude the failsafe check */
XDMLOG=$HOME/.xdm-log
startup=$HOME/.xsession
resources=$HOME/.Xresources
if [ -f $startup ]; then
        echo "Xsession: $startup" >> $XDMLOG
        exec $startup
        exec /bin/sh $startup
else
        echo "Xsession: $resources" >> $XDMLOG
        if [ -f $resources ]; then
                xrdb -load $resources
        fi
        twm &
        exec xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls
fi

~/.xsession:
xhost +brolga                           # Ensure I can run brolga clients
$OPENWINHOME/lib/openwin-sys &          # OpenWindows system initialization
xmodmap -e 'keysym F1 = Help'		# Install key "F1" as "Help" key
eval `svenv -env`                       # SunView binary compatibility
if [ -x $HOME/.openwin-init ]; then
    $HOME/.openwin-init                 # Custom OpenWindows tools
else
    $OPENWINHOME/lib/openwin-init       # Default OpenWindows tools
fi
echo Before olwm >> .test
olwm -3                                 # OpenLook Window Manager
echo After olwm >> .test

----
--
  V   ant                       "It's great to be young and insane"
 \o/  ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au                    - Dream Team

andrewr@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Andrew Rutherford) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.041851.4648@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) writes:

[ ... some stuff about OW & xdm not working ... ]

>files.  By using echos as a crude tracing mechanism I have been able to
>establish that everything is run, but for some reason olwm does not wait.
>So it jumps back out to the login screen.
>
>I'm sure that people out there have done this.  Can you tell me what it is
>I am doing wrong.

Hi again everyone! I think I started this a while back when I posted
  instructions on how to do this - since then I've had a user name change
  from arutherf to andrewr, and didn't get an alias set up for myself.
Sorry to those people who haven't been able to contact me...

Well, on a quick look through, you don't appear to be setting the
  environmental variables. Have you actually defined things like
  OPENWINHOME (which you use), NEWSSERVERSTR, which olwm uses,
  XAPPLSDIR, etc? If you haven't, all the applications, olwm, etc, will
  run but immediatly exit.
Note that in my scripts, I did all the variables twice - once before firing
  up xdm, the other in the Xsession, as once or twice I got the feeling xdm
  was munging some of them.
I also had a hardlink from xnewsdm to xdm - so I could leave both running
  and be able to distinguish them apart to send SIGHUP's to them to fire
  themselves back up after doing a server abort - useful if you often flip
  between them like I do. (OW is slow on a 4meg 3/50)

The next posting from me (immediatly following) will be a tarred, compressed,
  and uuencoded version of my shell scripts. Hope you all find them useful.

--
Andrew Rutherford                        andrewr@ucs.adelaide.edu.au
+61 8 228 5661                  Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and