[comp.windows.open-look] Update on SPARCprinter/NeWSprint resolution problem

brown@ftms.UUCP (Vidiot) (04/06/91)

I was probably a little harsh on Sun for what I saw the other day, but I tend
to over-react.  The person who contacted me from Sun (I won't say who because
he didn't say that I could) agreed that if he had seen what I had seen he
wouldn't have been pleased either (paraphrasing).

The net result is that the screen coding has been changed internally and is
still being checked out.  Now, since the Openwindows code is also used with
NeWSprint, I don't know at this point if it take a new OpenWindows or just
a new NeWSprint to cure the problem.  He didn't say and I have asked.  I
managed to hit the right combinations of screening and shading to make the
poor parts stand out.  A great test program in scrntst.ps, using the three
compare wheel portion of the code.  It really shows up the bad parts.

The end result is that what I am working with now will not be how it ends up
in the future.  Complaints like mine will hopefully get the software group
the take another look at what is going on with the code and it seems to me
that the software group was already doing that before I moaned out loud.  I
have heard from a couple of other users about printing problems as well, but
I seem to be the first to voice an opinion.  I'm not sure why I seem to find
programs that bring out the best in other people's code, but the PostScript
stuff that I have, either mine or someone else's, seems to show up the bad
things.  The Sun NeWSprint group is not sitting around doing nothing, they
are very concerned about what I had to say.  If you are looking into the
getting the product, or already have the product, it will be changing, as
all software improves with age.

Having a SPARCprinter verses a PostScript printer engine will allow for
improvements without having to change the hardware.  I do like the idea
of having the PostScript being software driven instead of hardware driven
and look forward to the improvements.  Don't get me wrong on this point.
Don't think that I am going to have Sun take this stuff back, if anyone got
that impression.  No way.  We like the technology and will work with Sun in
improving the software.  Obviously what I may think of as an improvement may
not be thought of as one by Sun, but at least we talked about it.

What I find interesting is that Sun is willing to talk via e-mail.  Try that
with Lotus, MicroSoft, IBM, etc., and you won't get anywhere.  I am impressed.

Another problem is with the NeWSprint enscript replacement.  He didn't know
of the problems and will be passing on bug reports on it.  Just to let you
know what I have found wrong so that when you try it you won't think that
you did something wrong.

	1) First off there isn't a man page.  You have to look at the shell
	   script to see what enscript is really going to do.
	2) It isn't 100% compatible.  The -G (gaudy) option is missing.  It
	   is one of a few, but I like using -G.
	3) The -2r options do not work.  With old TranScript you are supposed
	   to get a landscape printout with two pages to a page, with each
	   half being smaller text than the normal single portrait page.  The
	   idea here is to save paper by printing out one sheet of paper instead
	   of two sheets.  The NeWSprint version of enscript actually calls
	   up pr and does two column mode.  Ah, that means two columns in
	   portrait mode with the normal sized font.  Not exactly the same.
	   The two columns even tend to run together.  The whole thing is very
	   difficult to read.  So if you see this, it ain't you.

	   To Sun's credit, they did incorporate mpage, which will give rotated
	   two pages/page printout, but it doesn't label the page with the
	   little header line that enscript does.  Mpage also doesn't allow
	   for use of the bold font, while enscript does.  Our programmers
	   like printing source code using 2-up bold text.  Neither the new
	   enscript nor mpage will allow for this.

Stay tuned for further details.  This is an exciting product that WILL improve
with age.

Maybe they should have asked me to beta-site this product before it was
released :-)  But, I know that at that time I wouldn't have had the PostScript
programs that I do now that would have made what I see now, seen then.  With
PostScript the combinations for testing are unreal, but I manage to always
find something. :-(
--
harvard\
  ucbvax!uwvax!astroatc!ftms!brown

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (04/07/91)

In article <41@ftms.UUCP> brown@ftms.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>I was probably a little harsh on Sun for what I saw the other day, ....
>The net result is that the screen coding has been changed internally....
>The end result is that what I am working with now will not be how it (be)...
>in the future.  Complaints like mine will hopefully get the software group...
>The Sun NeWSprint group is not sitting around doing nothing,...
>Having a SPARCprinter verses a PostScript printer engine will allow for
>improvements without having to change the hardware.  I do like the idea
>of having the PostScript being software driven instead of hardware driven
>and look forward to the improvements.  Don't get me wrong on this point.
>What I find interesting is that Sun is willing to talk via e-mail.  Try that
>with Lotus, MicroSoft, IBM, etc., and you won't get anywhere.  I am impressed.

   I disagree on both points.  The more postscript code is 'handled' the more
problems there will always be with it.  There are several risc postscript
processing cards for different print engines (most noteably is the HP's).
The increase in performance is intense.  SUN, COULD have done the same thing,
either with the sparc generator or any other chip (the work has been done by
others for the i960).  However, for whatever reason, sun felt that the
SPARCprinter was their 'solution'.  They totally wrote off postscript and
wne their own way.  My thought is that they did it to save the cost of adobe
licensing.  SUN's solution has it's strong points, and it's weak points as
well.  In my mind, the weak points overpower the strong points.  In spite of
it's (own) weakpoints, postscript has the very nice ability for me to see a
300 DPI DRAFT before shipping the final output off to a high resolution
printer (like a linotype 1,000 tp 30,000 DPI) for final output.  Now, with a
Sparcprinter, I don't know that what comes out will be exactly the same
(minus the dpi difference).
   Postscript hardware upgrades to new postscript version or features /
capabilities doesn't HAVE to be the way they were (are) because of apple.
SUN/apple could easily make supply provide firmware upgrades IF THEY CHOOSE
to.  The upgrade price for firmware upgrades has been ridiculous because it's
been a virtual monopoly.  The same will be true for software versions, just
mark my word. SUN and others love it because now they can 'sell' upgrades
on tape and the hardware costs in the field are nill.  It also seems so much
easier to keep selling upgrades and people stand in line to buy new tapes to
fix the defects of the last tapes.  The % of people that are willing to wait
out for bigger upgrades or other sources drops vastly, making more profits
for sun (or whom ever...).
   There is nothing special about SUN having a email address, and replying/
taking messages/bug reports.  MOST larger computer companies (hard/soft-ware)
have the same thing.  DEC, Wordperfect, Borland, INtel, are only a few...
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

ne201ph@prism.gatech.EDU (Halvorson,Peter J) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr7.020109.11882@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:

>   I disagree on both points.  The more postscript code is 'handled' the more
>problems there will always be with it.  There are several risc postscript
>processing cards for different print engines (most noteably is the HP's).
>The increase in performance is intense.
>
>--
>Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University

Check out the prices on these risc card equiped postscript printers.  The
educational price on the SPARCprinter ( equal to other companies list prices)
is $1700.  This is for a 12 ppm ( real throughput), 400 dpi printer.  I'm
sure that the cards you mention must add up to more than $5000 for a
similar printer.  The software is buggy, as is almost any first release.
Sun is already doing News ( screen postscript), so it must have seemed
like a small job to extend it to dumping rasters to a printer.

              Peter Halvorson   --    Nuclear Engineering Program
    uucp:    ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ne201ph
Internet: ne201ph@prism.gatech.edu  --   peter@fission.gatech.edu
--
              Peter Halvorson   --    Nuclear Engineering Program
    uucp:    ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ne201ph
Internet: ne201ph@prism.gatech.edu  --   peter@fission.gatech.edu

mday@mondrian.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Mark Day) (04/08/91)

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:

(Intro text deleted...)
>However, for whatever reason, sun felt that the
>SPARCprinter was their 'solution'.  They totally wrote off postscript and
>wne their own way.  My thought is that they did it to save the cost of adobe
>licensing.  SUN's solution has it's strong points, and it's weak points as
>well.  In my mind, the weak points overpower the strong points.

I don't think that this is a completely fair statement.  A little historical
perspective may be in order.  NeWSprint and the SPARCprinter seem to be an
attempt by Sun to leverage the work that Sun put into developing a PostScript
interpreter for its windowing system (Openwindows, nee NeWS) into a printer
product.  From my own recollections from early talks about NeWS given
by Sun engineers (don't even consider taking this as gospel), at the time
that NeWS was being developed, Adobe was not interested in developing a
version of PostScript for CRT displays.  Since Sun was interested in
developing this technology, they had to go their own way.  An Adobe
license wasn't an option at the time.

Why Sun and Adobe didn't come to some type of technology sharing agreement
once they both became interested in the same basic goal is a deep, dark secret
that will probably never be released to us unwashed masses.  It sure would
have made things easier on us application programmers who would only have had
to worry about one flavor of PostScript for workstation displays instead of
the current two (Display PostScript and NeWS).

>it's (own) weakpoints, postscript has the very nice ability for me to see a
>300 DPI DRAFT before shipping the final output off to a high resolution
>printer (like a linotype 1,000 tp 30,000 DPI) for final output.  Now, with a
>Sparcprinter, I don't know that what comes out will be exactly the same
>(minus the dpi difference).

In a perfect world, all PostScript interpreters would create the exact same
output, given identical input.  If Sun's version produces different output
than a true Adobe interpreter, then I would hope that the Sun would consider
this a bug, and fix the interpreter.  Until there is some way of certifying
that an interpreter adheres to a more rigorous standard than simple Red Book
compatiblily, we will all have to decide for ourselves if the advantages
of a certain interpreter/platform outweigh the disadvantages of not having
the Adobe seal of approval.

> The upgrade price for firmware upgrades has been ridiculous because it's
>been a virtual monopoly.  The same will be true for software versions, just
>mark my word. SUN and others love it because now they can 'sell' upgrades
>on tape and the hardware costs in the field are nill.  It also seems so much
>easier to keep selling upgrades and people stand in line to buy new tapes to
>fix the defects of the last tapes.  The % of people that are willing to wait
>out for bigger upgrades or other sources drops vastly, making more profits
>for sun (or whom ever...).

Since the NeWSprint software is so closely tied to the windowing system used
by Sun workstations, I don't think upgrade cost will be a problem.
Although Sun charged for initial versions of the NeWS windowing system,
their policy of late has been to ship a right to use license for this
software with every CPU they sell.  My guess is that future updates to
OpenWindows will only cost a small media fee.  (If only Sun would adopt
this policy for their OS...)

--
Mark Day
Dept. of Pharmaceutical Chemistry		mday@picasso.mmwb.ucsf.edu

bradlee@cg-atla.UUCP (Rob Bradlee) (04/08/91)

In article <41@ftms.UUCP> brown@ftms.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>are very concerned about what I had to say.  If you are looking into the
>getting the product, or already have the product, it will be changing, as
>all software improves with age.
>
>Stay tuned for further details.  This is an exciting product that WILL improve
>with age.

Here are a couple of further suggestions for improvement from a different
perspective.

1) Allow third party screening.  If Sun is trying to compete with Adobe
they could put hooks into Newsprint to allow independent developers to
use their own software or hardware screening approach.

2) Make banding work.  (I don't know that it doesn't, I'm just assuming).
If people ever want to drive higher resolution devices (like film recorders
for instance) they will need to have display list creation and banding
as options.

--
Rob Bradlee  w:(508)-658-5600 X5153  h:(617)-944-5595
AGFA Compugraphic Division.    ...!{decvax,samsung}!cg-atla!bradlee

pauld@stowe.cs.washington.edu (Paul Barton-Davis) (04/08/91)

In article <41@ftms.UUCP> brown@ftms.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>Having a SPARCprinter verses a PostScript printer engine will allow for
>improvements without having to change the hardware.  I do like the idea
>of having the PostScript being software driven instead of hardware driven
>and look forward to the improvements.

one nit-picking detail - all PostScript systems thus far are software
driven. The only different about the Sun system is that the software
runs on the host, rather than on a processor installed in the laser
engine. If you were using 386/AT systems, there are and have been for
some time, a number of these type of systems available. How well they
work depends on what you wanted to do with them, but its worth noting
that some of the faster PostScript implementations are still done in
this way (Birmy, and the YARC/Pipeline implementations being two
cases in point).

Paul Barton-Davis			<pauld@cs.washington.edu>
UW Computer Science Lab		``to shatter tradition makes us feel free''

--

pauld@stowe.cs.washington.edu (Paul Barton-Davis) (04/09/91)

rodgers@clausius.mmwb.ucsf.edu (04/09/91)

In <41@ftms.UUCP> brown@ftms.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>I was probably a little harsh on Sun for what I saw the other day, but I tend
>to over-react.

I'm a fairly patient type, but had a similar reaction to the ditroff support
offered within NeWSprint 1.0...

>The end result is that what I am working with now will not be how it ends up
>in the future.  Complaints like mine will hopefully get the software group
>the take another look at what is going on...

>Having a SPARCprinter verses a PostScript printer engine will allow for
>improvements without having to change the hardware.
>Don't think that I am going to have Sun take this stuff back, if anyone got
>that impression.  No way.  We like the technology and will work with Sun in
>improving the software.

>What I find interesting is that Sun is willing to talk via e-mail.  Try that
>with Lotus, MicroSoft, IBM, etc., and you won't get anywhere.  I am impressed.

We feel the same way.  The NeWSprint development group has been very responsive
to our numerous complaints and bug reports, and we continue to work with them.
However, I do feel that this sort of thing should have happened at a much
earlier stage (i.e., Sun should have sought out sites like ours and yours
to do some serious beta testing prior to the formal release of the product).

Cheerio, Rick Rodgers

R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.         (415)476-2957 (work) 664-0560 (home)
UCSF Laurel Heights Campus     UUCP: ...ucbvax.berkeley.edu!cca.ucsf.edu!rodgers
3333 California St., Suite 102 Internet: rodgers@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu
San Francisco CA 94118 USA     BITNET: rodgers@ucsfcca

uad1077@dircon.co.uk (Ian Kemmish) (04/09/91)

> [Discussion of pro's and con's of PS imageing with Adobe/non-Adobe
>  RIPs in the printer/in the computer]

Sun's enthusiasm for fixing NeWS bugs in response to e-mail
lasted less than six months.  If you want some horror stories,
talk to anyone who ported an early version of NeWS.  Since I am
on the side of the customer, I *hope* Sun's attitude has changed
now and that they really will do a good job of supporting NeWSprint.
However, this being the real world, I shall believe when I see it
sustained.

Lord, I hate being typecast as a cynic:-)

--
Ian D. Kemmish                    Tel. +44 767 601 361
18 Durham Close                   uad1077@dircon.UUCP

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (04/09/91)

<
<one nit-picking detail - all PostScript systems thus far are software
<driven. The only different about the Sun system is that the software
<runs on the host, rather than on a processor installed in the laser
<engine. If you were using 386/AT systems, there are and have been for
<some time, a number of these type of systems available. How well they
<work depends on what you wanted to do with them, but its worth noting
<that some of the faster PostScript implementations are still done in
<this way (Birmy, and the YARC/Pipeline implementations being two
<cases in point).

I'll nit your pick.  Yes, the PostScript that is in printers like the Apple
LaserWriter series is done with software.  BUT, when put into the printer,
it is firmware, not as hard as the printer itself, not as soft as a program
on a hard disk, but firm, as in an PROM device.  Being firmware makes it
more difficult to change.  If one isn't a hardware type engineer, one doesn't
change the ROM set.  With the NeWSprint setup, the PostScript interpreter is
soft and easily changed with an update tape.

In the UNIX world, the only choice has been physical printers with the Post-
Script built in firmware.  With the NeXT, the PostScript was changed to soft-
ware.  Now, with the Sun, it too has been changed to software.

I've known of boards for the PC, but don't they have the PostScript on an
PROM as well?
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\          spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

In article <rodgers.671131751@clausius.mmwb.ucsf.edu> rodgers@clausius.mmwb.ucsf.edu writes:
<
<We feel the same way.  The NeWSprint development group has been very responsive
<to our numerous complaints and bug reports, and we continue to work with them.
<However, I do feel that this sort of thing should have happened at a much
<earlier stage (i.e., Sun should have sought out sites like ours and yours
<to do some serious beta testing prior to the formal release of the product).

I would have liked to have been a beta site, but there are things that wouldn't
have let us be one; lack of the SPARCprinter and IPC, until just recently;
lack of the PostScript files that I had that found some problems.

If I would have had this stuff earlier, I may have been able to help out.  I
have to be realistic in that it would have been impossible.  As they say,
timing is everything.
--

exnirad@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Nirad Sharma) (04/10/91)

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>I've known of boards for the PC, but don't they have the PostScript on an
>PROM as well?
>--
>      harvard\     att!nicmad\          spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
>Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown
>      rutgers/  decvax!nicmad/ INTERNET:vidiot!brown%astroatc@spool.cs.wisc.edu

There is a product by QMS called JetScript which is a board that sits in a
PC expansion slot and has its software downloaded at PC boot time from the
hard disk.

--
Nirad Sharma  (exnirad@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au)		Phone : (61 7) 365 7575
Systems Programmer					Fax :	(61 7) 870 5080

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (04/18/91)

ne201ph@prism.gatech.EDU (Halvorson,Peter J) writes:

>Check out the prices on these risc card equiped postscript printers.  The
>educational price on the SPARCprinter ( equal to other companies list prices)
>is $1700.  This is for a 12 ppm ( real throughput), 400 dpi printer.  I'm

Lets not forget you need an S-Bus capable Sparc machine within 30 feet
of the location of the printer to use it!! Do associate the cost of that
little detail in the cost of the printer!

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra