[comp.windows.open-look] XDM under OpenWin 2.0 - Solutions Galore

ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) (04/18/91)

andrewr@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Andrew Rutherford) writes:

>In article <1991Apr16.041851.4648@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) writes:
>[ ... some stuff about OW & xdm not working ... ]

>Well, on a quick look through, you don't appear to be setting the
>  environmental variables. Have you actually defined things like
>  OPENWINHOME (which you use), NEWSSERVERSTR, which olwm uses,
>  XAPPLSDIR, etc? If you haven't, all the applications, olwm, etc, will
>  run but immediatly exit.

I always thought xdm would inherit the environment of the login that ran
it.  I never had to redefine these when I was running under X11.  But you
where right, this was one of the problems.

>I also had a hardlink from xnewsdm to xdm - so I could leave both running
>  and be able to distinguish them apart to send SIGHUP's to them to fire
>  themselves back up after doing a server abort - useful if you often flip
>  between them like I do. (OW is slow on a 4meg 3/50)

I'm not sure I understand why.  What do you flip between ?  I know what
you mean about the 3/50.  I'm using an 8M 3/50 and it's slow enough for
me.

>The next posting from me (immediatly following) will be a tarred, compressed,
>  and uuencoded version of my shell scripts. Hope you all find them useful.

Thanx I will have to play with them as you seem to have solved the problem
of needing to run shelltool via setsid.

And now a big thanx for all of the people that replied to me with various
solutions.  In the end I needed almost all of the various suggestions to
get the thing to work.

The first suggestion was to look into the xdm-errors file.  It showed that
the environment wasn't being set as I had expected, so I explicitly set
the environment in my .xsession file (forgetting as usual to set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable :)  Thanx to Darren Hosking.

After a bit of fiddling then, I got it to work, or at least I thought,
until I looked at my shelltools and noticed that they weren't doing
anything.  It seems that there is a problem with the xview term pane
working under xdm.  Fortunately, withis the hour, I got another reply from
David Safford who explained that it might be necessary to use the setsid
command to run cmdtools (and shelltools).

I notice however that Andrews scripts run shelltools without using setsid,
so I am beginning to wonder if it is caused by something left out of my
(and Davids) environment.

And so now things seem to be running pretty smoothly.  The only problem
that I seem to have now is that sometimes when I exit, a SIGHUP signal
gets sent to xdm causing it to die.  It gets restarted again by the parent
xdm process, so it isn't rally that much of a worry.

Thanx again to all those who sent me replies, including those not
mentioned above.

ant

--
  V   ant                       "It's great to be young and insane"
 \o/  ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au                    - Dream Team