[comp.windows.open-look] How to shut down openwin from other window mangers

mpulver@bigpig.austek.oz (Mark Pulver) (04/17/91)

I just started using openwin, in order to test "sunview" only software.
In order to keep my environment the same I'm using vtwm instead of olwm,
It works quite fine, and you can not tell I'm not using straight X11.

Question:  how can I shutdown/exit/quit openwin cleanly?  Currently I
find the search for and kill xnews by hand.   It certain does not exit cleanly,
but it exits.

Stuart.Marks@Eng.Sun.COM (Stuart Marks) (04/19/91)

mpulver%austek.OZ@uunet.UU.NET (Mark Pulver) writes:

    Question: [using vtwm instead of olwm] how can I shutdown/exit/quit
    openwin cleanly?  Currently I find the search for and kill xnews by
    hand.  It certain does not exit cleanly, but it exits.

You shouldn't have to do this.  Like other X servers, xnews relies on an
outside agent (e.g. xinit or xdm) to start it up and shut it down.  The
default OpenWindows configuration uses xinit to start up and shut down the
server.  The lifetime of the server is determined by the lifetime of the
$HOME/.xinitrc shell script.  xinit starts up the server and runs .xinitrc.
When .xinitrc exits, xinit shuts down the server.

So, how are you starting up xnews?  If you run 'xnews' by itself, there's
no real clean way to shut down the server.  You should run it using xinit,
or using the "openwin" script (which is a wrapper around xinit).

The .xinitrc script usually waits around for a particular client to
exit.  This client controls the lifetime of the session.  This client is
typically a console terminal emulator, or the window manager, or perhaps
xlogo.

olwm's Exit function works by first killing all running clients and then
exiting.  This pretty much guarantees that the window system will come
down.  I don't know if there's a similar function in vtwm.

s'marks

Stuart W. Marks			ARPA: smarks@eng.sun.com
Windows & Graphics Software	UUCP: sun!smarks
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) (04/21/91)

--
 Bill Janssen        janssen@parc.xerox.com      (415) 494-4763