[comp.windows.open-look] dbxtool weirdness

dav@gtc.com (David L. Markowitz) (04/25/91)

The dbxtool distributed with OW 2.0 is so badly broken I gave up and
now run the Sunview dbxtool in compatibility mode.

Among its many problems:

1. It enforces click-to-type when I have set point-to-type.

2. It frequently hangs completely (sometimes hanging the entire
desktop!) when using the arrow keys in the command window.  This
happens every time I try to scroll back up over a command line that is
larger than the window.

3. When editing is disabled, the program display window shows no
indication of where the current line is (useful for setting breakpoints
et. all) after single clicking.  You must select something by double or
triple clicking, or dragging the mouse.  Sunview showed a caret, even
if editing is disabled.

Is anyone really using this thing?

--
	David L. Markowitz
	Genisco Technology Corporation

schwartz@nynexst.com (S. H. Schwartz) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.183505.18899@gtc.com> dav@gtc.com (David L. Markowitz) writes:

>The dbxtool distributed with OW 2.0 is so badly broken I gave up and
>now run the Sunview dbxtool in compatibility mode.
>
>1. It enforces click-to-type when I have set point-to-type.

My dbxtool uses click-to-type.  Note that the default window is the
source code window, so you have to click on the command window to
change where input goes.  Having done that, input focus stays there and
follows the mouse.
--
S. H. Schwartz						schwartz@nynexst.com
Expert Systems Laboratory				914-683-2960

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.143849.20688@nynexst.com> schwartz@nynexst.com (S. H. Schwartz) writes:
>   My dbxtool uses click-to-type.  Note that the default window is the
>   source code window, so you have to click on the command window to
>   change where input goes.  Having done that, input focus stays there and
>   follows the mouse.

What he is talking about is even if you set your defaults to be focus
follows mouse, when you try to set a breakpoint, or select a variable
in the source window - THE INPUT FOCUS GOES THERE. This window in
normally read only. You can't change anything in the window unless you
enable the edit mode. So if it's read only, WHY does it put the input
focus into the window than can't take any input?????

When you want to execute a command in the command window, you have to
click in the command window first. This is very frustrating to people
who have used focus-follows-mouse for years. Everytime you do
something in the read-only source window, you have to click back in
the command window. Grr!

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crdgw1.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

bergquis@nms.gdc.portal.com (Brett Bergquist) (04/26/91)

I use dbxtool under OpenWindows all the time.  The first problem that you
mentioned about click to type is mention as a known problem in one of the
documents distributed with OpenWindows.  You should remember to use
run your application with the -Wfsdb switch so that your X application
will not lock up dbxtool when stepping through some X code.  When I debug
there is an arrow pointing to the current line in the display window whether
or not I have editting enabled.

As for other problems, I have had dbxtool report an error while reading
shared libraries, but I get around this by linking the the -Bstatic option.

--
Brett M. Bergquist, Principal Engineer | "Remind me" ... "to write an
General DataComm, Inc.,                | "article on the compulsive reading

andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) (04/29/91)

In <1991Apr24.183505.18899@gtc.com> dav@gtc.com (David L. Markowitz) writes:
>The dbxtool distributed with OW 2.0 is so badly broken I gave up and
>now run the Sunview dbxtool in compatibility mode.

>1. It enforces click-to-type when I have set point-to-type.
This is a "bug" in the OpenLook specifications - well Sun don't/didn't think
so but the customers do!

>2. It frequently hangs completely (sometimes hanging the entire
>desktop!) when using the arrow keys in the command window.  This
>happens every time I try to scroll back up over a command line that is
>larger than the window.
I haven`t seen that one before. Are you using -Wfsdb (-fullscreendebug)
I have a weird idear that it may help you!

>3. When editing is disabled, the program display window shows no
>indication of where the current line is (useful for setting breakpoints
>et. all) after single clicking.  You must select something by double or
>triple clicking, or dragging the mouse.  Sunview showed a caret, even
>if editing is disabled.
There should be an arrow! Don't load files when setting breakpoints,
instead follow the flow so dbxtool loads the file itself and then break=
points is visible - stupid? YES!!!

>Is anyone really using this thing?
I have to!

Andrew

Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Stroedamvej 50, DK-2100 Copenhagen OE, Denmark
UUCP: andrew@ambra.dk, phone: +45 39 27 11 77                /
Currently at Scandinavian Airline Systems                =======/
UUCP: andrew@resam.dk, phone: +45 32 32 51 54                \
SAS, RESAM Project Office, CPHML-V, P.O.BOX 150, DK-2770 Kastrup, Denmark

                If it's broke, fix it (The MS-DOS way)
            If it aint broke, don't touch it (The Unix way)
	If we can't fix it, it ain't broke (Maintainer's Motto)
             If you can't fix it, fuck it (The U-boat way)

dav@gtc.com (David L. Markowitz) (05/02/91)

schwartz@nynexst.com (S. H. Schwartz) writes:

>My dbxtool uses click-to-type.  Note that the default window is the
>source code window, so you have to click on the command window to
>change where input goes.  Having done that, input focus stays there and
>follows the mouse.

input focus stays there and follows the mouse?  It can't do both!
What do you mean?

And why is the default the source code window, when (again, by default)
editing is disabled and you can't type into it anyway?

--

	David L. Markowitz
	Solaris Systems Division - Genisco Technology Corporation