[comp.windows.open-look] GWM under OW2.0?

tynor@prism.gatech.EDU (Steve Tynor) (04/22/91)

I've built the X11R4 version of GWM1.7 under OW2.0. I'm having the
following problems:

	1) Whenever a window is killed (whether self-induced as in
	   exiting a shell within an xterm or using the KILL option on
	   the window manager frame menu), I get 5 or 6 "GWM: Bad Window
	   123456" (where 12345 is the window ID) errors on the console.

	2) The Sun-supplied OL applications (cm, cmdtool, shelltool, dbxtool,
	   etc.) are not properly decorated by the WM - they all start
	   up in the upper left corner with no borders etc.

I'd like to use gwm as my window manager, but I need to be able to use
(at least) dbxtool...  Has anyone else run into this problem?

No problem is so formidable that you can't just walk away from it.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute
    tynor@prism.gatech.edu

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson [Animal]) (04/25/91)

tynor@prism.gatech.EDU (Steve Tynor) writes:

>I've built the X11R4 version of GWM1.7 under OW2.0. I'm having the
>following problems:

>	1) Whenever a window is killed (whether self-induced as in
>	   exiting a shell within an xterm or using the KILL option on
>	   the window manager frame menu), I get 5 or 6 "GWM: Bad Window
>	   123456" (where 12345 is the window ID) errors on the console.

Yes, I've noticed this bug also.  Occasionally it goes far enough to
hang gwm, although this could be that i'm running gwm1.6.

>	2) The Sun-supplied OL applications (cm, cmdtool, shelltool, dbxtool,
>	   etc.) are not properly decorated by the WM - they all start
>	   up in the upper left corner with no borders etc.

Hmm- the thing you have to remember here is that openwin is actually
two servers in one - a X11 server, and a sunview server.  If you use a
window manager other than olwm, that window manager won't know about
the sunview windows -- won't recognize them, can't do anything with
them, etc. etc.  While this is a nuisance, i've found the benifits of
gwm outweigh the disadvantage of this, since I only occasionally use
sunview applications (framemaker is the only one, actually).

>I'd like to use gwm as my window manager, but I need to be able to use
>(at least) dbxtool...  Has anyone else run into this problem?

Hm.  Easy solution is to run xdbx.  :)

>    Steve Tynor
>    Georgia Tech Research Institute
>    tynor@prism.gatech.edu

--Chan
Chan Wilson                                  Chief Hard-Question Answer Person
SRI Intl. Network Information Systems Center
333 Ravenswood Ave., EJ287			Internet: cwilson@nisc.sri.com
Menlo Park, CA., 94025				Phone: (415)859-4492
    "If I want to be a surfer this month, I bloody well will be."

>Hmm- the thing you have to remember here is that openwin is actually
>two servers in one - a X11 server, and a sunview server.  If you use a
>window manager other than olwm, that window manager won't know about
>the sunview windows -- won't recognize them, can't do anything with
>them, etc. etc.

There appear to be several bits of confusion here.

1) The fact that the window server in Open Windows is a merged X11/NeWS
   server has nothing to do with the fact that you can run SunView
   applications "on top of" (both figuratively and literally) that
   server.  One could, given enough information and time, hack up a
   version of the MIT X11 server that could run SunView applications "on
   top of" it in the same fashion that the X11/NeWS server does;
   essentially, the server has to pretend to be, from the standpoint
   of SunView, the "sunview" program, and it does its painting of
   windows that *it* manages in the root SunView window.  (Think of it
   as a dynamically-changing SunView root window.  It would, of course,
   have to get its raw keyboard and mouse events in SunView form from
   "/dev/win0", rather than from "/dev/kbd" and "/dev/mouse".)

2) "The Sun-supplied OL applications (cm, cmdtool, shelltool, dbxtool,
   etc.)" are *NOT* SunView applications; they are X applications, using
   the XView toolkit.

3) "olwm" doesn't know anything about SunView applications, nor about
   NeWS applications; it's a perfectly ordinary X11 window manager.  The
   only thing it knows about NeWS is how to send PostScript stuff to the
   server from a "POSTSCRIPT" menu item, and it does *that* by opening a
   pipe to "psh".  SunView applications draw their own borders, etc..

I've run XView applications such as "shelltool" under "twm", and "twm"
treats their windows like any other X windows, putting borders up, etc..
I've no idea why "gwm" would fail to treat their like any other X
windows.  (See, there *is* a context in which the phrase "X windows" is
correct. :-))

"twm" and other non-OL window managers won't know about all the extra
OPEN LOOK protocols for dealing with pushpins and the like, but they
most definitely *can* decorate a "shelltool" main window.

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (05/02/91)

In article <29184@fs1.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson [Animal]) writes:
>tynor@prism.gatech.EDU (Steve Tynor) writes:
>
>>I'd like to use gwm as my window manager, but I need to be able to use
>>(at least) dbxtool...  Has anyone else run into this problem?
>
>Hm.  Easy solution is to run xdbx.  :)
How about using the XView version of dbxtool.  I do.  It comes with the
Open Windows distribution.  If you don't have open windows, well, sorry.

| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |