[comp.windows.open-look] Help with SunOS OpenWindows 2.0 window manager and Saber C

andy@research.canon.oz.au (Andy Newman) (05/09/91)

In article <9105070650.AA2220@cas.org> Larry W. Virden writes:

>         I have a specific problem which I believe is an example of
> a general condition.  I am using SunOS 4.1.1 and the OW that comes
> with that distribution.  I am using Saber-C - Version 3.0.1 .
>
>         I have the following as one line of many within my
> $HOME/.openwin-menu file:
>
>     "Saber-C"                   xsaber &
>
>         I have tried just xsaber, exec xsaber, and the above.  In
> each case, I see the outline of the primary window, but before
> any text appears, the windows go away.

Saber-C requires a controlling terminal and does not work from the
menus of (the many) window managers. You can get it to work with
a command such as "xterm -e xsaber &" ... this fires up xterm
and executes the xsaber command within the shell that xterm
fires up. Under OpenWindow you could use cmdtool or shelltool to
do something similar (if these don't cut it see if xterm is in
the demo directory and use that instead). I also give options
that start the xterm iconified and tucked away in the corner so
it doesn't get in the way. Hope this helps.
--
Andy Newman (andy@research.canon.oz.au) Canon Info. Systems Research Australia
	"If education were illegal would more people would try it?"