[comp.windows.open-look] an example of sticky windows in a .Xdefaults file for olvwm

mh@roger.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) (05/03/91)

The subject pretty much says it.

I need an example of the "sticky windows" resource attribute for a
.Xdefaults file for olvwm.  I tried following the man page but I don't
seem to be doing it right. Anybody got an example??

-mike hoegeman, mh@awds.imsd.contel.com

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (05/03/91)

Mike> The subject pretty much says it.

Mike> I need an example of the "sticky windows" resource attribute for a
Mike> .Xdefaults file for olvwm.  I tried following the man page but I don't
Mike> seem to be doing it right. Anybody got an example??

Mike> -mike hoegeman, mh@awds.imsd.contel.com

Try the following:

OpenWindows.VirtualSticky:	xclock xload xbiff

Now, my question to yall is this:  how can you get the root menu
sticky?

I have used xprop and found that the name is "Root Menu" but when
I add this to the list like this:

OpenWindows.VirtualSticky:	xclock xload xbiff "Root Menu"

it does not work.  Any suggestions??

jc

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc@raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879
"But to risk we must, for the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.  For
the man or woman who risks nothing, has nothing, does nothing, is nothing."
	(Quote from the eulogy for the late Christa McAuliffe.)

sinkwitz@ifi.unizh.ch (Rainer Sinkwitz) (05/03/91)

In article <JC.91May2212447@condor.bu.edu> jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:

>Try the following:
>

>OpenWindows.VirtualSticky:	xclock xload xbiff
>

>Now, my question to yall is this:  how can you get the root menu
>sticky?
>
>I have used xprop and found that the name is "Root Menu" but when
>I add this to the list like this:
>
>OpenWindows.VirtualSticky:	xclock xload xbiff "Root Menu"
>
>it does not work.  Any suggestions??
>
>jc

Another Question: How do I set then DeskSet Perfmeter sticky ?

--

Rainer Sinkwitz            | E-mail: sinkwitz@ifi.unizh.ch
Dept. of Computer Science  |    sinkwitz%ifi.unizh.ch@relay.eu.net

sdo@piccolo.East.Sun.COM (Scott Oaks - Sun Consulting NYC) (05/03/91)

>Now, my question to yall is this:  how can you get the root menu
>sticky?

Err, right now you can't.  It appears that certain windows have neither
a class name or an instance name (the root menu being one, some Xview
apps being others).

I'll patch in fixes for these soon.

-sdo
--

-sdo (sdo@piccolo.east.sun.COM)

bpowell@osc.edu (Brian Powell) (05/03/91)

In article <JC.91May2212447@condor.bu.edu>, jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:

> Now, my question to yall is this:  how can you get the root menu
> sticky?
>
> I have used xprop and found that the name is "Root Menu" but when
> I add this to the list like this:
>
> OpenWindows.VirtualSticky:	xclock xload xbiff "Root Menu"

Also, I can't get mailtool to be sticky.  Xprop shows its name for me to be:
	"Mail Tool - /usr/spool/mail/bpowell"

I can find no form of the above string that will satisfy olvwm's sticky
resource...

-- Brian

+--The Ohio Supercomputer Center----------------------------------------------+
|                                            Brian S. Powell  bpowell@osc.edu |
+--"My other computer is a CRAY" (YMP 8/864)----------------------------------+

fcaggian@kepler.com (Frank Caggiano) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May3.090758.699@ifi.unizh.ch>, sinkwitz@ifi.unizh.ch (Rainer Sinkwitz) writes:

> >Try the following:
> >

> >OpenWindows.VirtualSticky:	xclock xload xbiff
> >

> >Now, my question to yall is this:  how can you get the root menu
> >sticky?
> >
> >I have used xprop and found that the name is "Root Menu" but when
> >I add this to the list like this:
> >
> >OpenWindows.VirtualSticky:	xclock xload xbiff "Root Menu"
> >
> >it does not work.  Any suggestions??
> >
> >jc
> >
> Another Question: How do I set then DeskSet Perfmeter sticky ?

	From the olvwm man page:

	`Windows are sticky if their class name (set via the WM_CLASS) property
	is in the list of strings for VirtualSticky.'

	When looking at a window with xprop you are looking to see if
	WM_CLASS(STRING) is set. The first string shown is the
	instance name the second string is the class name. Either name will
	work in VirtualSticky.

	It appears that a number of the xview tools supplied do not set the
	WM_CLASS property. Calendar Manager doesn't (I know I wannted to make
	it sticky), performance meter and the root menu do not set it,
	hence it isn't possible to make them sticky (at least as far as I
	can tell).

	Some of the X tools will set the instance name from the command line
	via the -name switch. So to make my console xterm sticky (but none
	of the other xterm's I bring up) I run 'xterm -name Console' and in
	the VirtualSticky string I add Console.  By choseing between the
	class name and the instance name in VirtualSticky you can control
	wheather all windows of a particular tool are sticky or just one
	instance of a tool is sticky.

	Finally I'd like to congratulate Mr. Oaks for a job well done. I
	compiled olvwm last week and have been using it ever since. The thought
	of going back to a desktop the same size as the screen sends
	shivers down my spine.

--
Frank Caggiano                      INTERNET: fcaggian@kepler.com
Kepler Financial Management, Ltd.       UUCP: ..!uunet!kepler1!fcaggian

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May3.000802.29165@wlbr.imsd.contel.com> mh@roger.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) writes:
>The subject pretty much says it.
>
>I need an example of the "sticky windows" resource attribute for a
>.Xdefaults file for olvwm.  I tried following the man page but I don't
>seem to be doing it right. Anybody got an example??
the resource VirtualSticky is like any other list of windows resource,
its a whitespace delimited list of window names:
olvwm*VirtualSticky: xload xclock xbiff

Keep in mind that XView applications dont have the WM_CLASS property set,
so you can't add their names to the list.  I know, I have tryed it.
Personally I find this a major deficiency in XView apps.  Another minor
dificiency is the lack of session manger hints (WM_CLINT_MACHINE
WM_COMMAND).  While running XView apps, xlsclients (an X11R4 client)
doesn't report XView apps.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

schwartz@nynexst.com (S. H. Schwartz) (05/09/91)

What precisely -are- sticky windows?
--
S. H. Schwartz						schwartz@nynexst.com
Expert Systems Laboratory				914-683-2960

kcwong@ssd.kodak.com (K.C. Wong (253-7926)) (05/09/91)

In article <1077@redford.UUCP> bill@redford.UUCP (Bill Poitras(X258)) writes:
>In article <1991May3.000802.29165@wlbr.imsd.contel.com> mh@roger.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) writes:
>>The subject pretty much says it.
>>
>>I need an example of the "sticky windows" resource attribute for a
>>.Xdefaults file for olvwm.  I tried following the man page but I don't
>>seem to be doing it right. Anybody got an example??
>the resource VirtualSticky is like any other list of windows resource,
>its a whitespace delimited list of window names:
>olvwm*VirtualSticky: xload xclock xbiff
>
>Keep in mind that XView applications dont have the WM_CLASS property set,
>so you can't add their names to the list.  I know, I have tryed it.
>Personally I find this a major deficiency in XView apps.  Another minor
>dificiency is the lack of session manger hints (WM_CLINT_MACHINE
>WM_COMMAND).  While running XView apps, xlsclients (an X11R4 client)
>doesn't report XView apps.

  Ok... how can we solve these problems if we write an Xview program?
  Are there any way we can get a handle to the wmhints of a frame?

>+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
>| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
>|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
>|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |
>+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

  K.C.Wong
  Eastman Kodak Co.
  kcwong@ssd.kodak.com

--
		kcwong@eknest.kodak.com	( K.C. Wong )

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (05/11/91)

In article <1610@sunc.osc.edu> bpowell@osc.edu (Brian Powell) writes:

>> Now, my question to yall is this:  how can you get the root menu
>> sticky?
>>
>> I have used xprop and found that the name is "Root Menu" but when
>
>Also, I can't get mailtool to be sticky.  Xprop shows its name for me to be:
>	"Mail Tool - /usr/spool/mail/bpowell"
>
>I can find no form of the above string that will satisfy olvwm's sticky
>resource...

The reason why both of you are having problems is very simple.  Olvwm
looks at the WM_CLASS property of a window to match it with its list.
What both of you are looking at is the WM_NAME property.  In general,
anyone trying to make Openlook applications sticky in the .Xdefaults file
will fail.  Openwindows applications are very lax about setting properties.  In
addition to not setting WM_CLASS, it doen't set WM_COMMAND.  That means
that xlsclients wont show an Openwindows application.  And while I'm at it I
also will mention another gripe about Openwindows.  The X11/News server's
choice of font properties SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!  At most I have seen one font
property, such as X_HEIGHT.  Wow, what an amazing choice (note the
sarcasm)  From an X standpoint I am moderately disappointed in the
Openwindows applications.  On the other hand, I do find the programs
usefull and functional.  So I do like Openwindows somewhat.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (05/13/91)

Schwartz> What precisely -are- sticky windows?
Schwartz> --
Schwartz> S. H. Schwartz

A sticky window is one which stays on the screen when regardless of where
you are when using a virtual desktop.  Ie, I want to keep my clock,
my biff, and my load sticky so that no matter where I move in my desktop
they will stay there.

If you are unfamiliar with the concept of a virtual desktop window
manager, it allows you to have as 'large' a screen as you like.  A
window is created which shows you what part of your desktop you are
presently working in and what windows are in the space.  It looks like:

	--------------------------
	| ----------             |
	| |        |             |
	| |        |             |
	| |        |             |
	| |        |             |
	| |        |             |
	| ----------             |
	|                        |
	|                        |
	|                        |
	|                        |
	--------------------------

Where the outer square is your virtual desktop and you are presently
working in the inner square, your current desktop.  It allows you to
say read mail in one area, write programs in another, and play games
in a third.  *8-)  Busy yes, but if you have a workstation to yourself,
which you don't need to log out of, this comes in very handy.

jc

--

toml@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) (05/13/91)

> What precisely -are- sticky windows?

For a full description of sticky windows and the virtual desktop concept
see the Summer 1990 USENIX proceedings, "swm: An X Window Manager Shell"

--
(I kid you not)Tom LaStrange        toml@Solbourne.COM

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May9.122751.2437@ssd.kodak.com> kcwong@ssd.kodak.com (K.C. Wong (253-7926)) writes:
>>Keep in mind that XView applications dont have the WM_CLASS property set,
>>so you can't add their names to the list.  I know, I have tryed it.
>>Personally I find this a major deficiency in XView apps.  Another minor
>>dificiency is the lack of session manger hints (WM_CLINT_MACHINE
>>WM_COMMAND).  While running XView apps, xlsclients (an X11R4 client)
>>doesn't report XView apps.
>>

>  Ok... how can we solve these problems if we write an Xview program?
>  Are there any way we can get a handle to the wmhints of a frame?

As long as you can get the Display and Window that corresponds the top
level frame, (sorry not an Xview programmer) you can set WM_CLASS with
XSetClassHInt (Section 10.2.1.5 of Xlib Programming Manual)
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE and WM_COMMAND with XSetWMClientMachine and XSetCommand
respectively.  Also check out the call to XSetWMProperties.  This will
allow you to set a whole slew of properties (including the ones already
mentioned) in one call.