[comp.windows.open-look] A suggestion for sticky windows in a .Xdefaults file for olvwm

mh@awds27.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) (05/10/91)

if you do not use olvwm hit n now

What do you think about using the window titles for determining what
should be sticky ?? You could have a resource that is a list of regular
expressions. If one of the expressions matches the window title the
window would be made sticky. I perused the olvwm source a bit and it
does not look too hard to do. This scheme seems like a good compromise
to me. what does everybody else out there think ?

doehr@magellan.den.mmc.com (Brett B. Doehr) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.174620.8589@wlbr.imsd.contel.com>, mh@awds27.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) writes:

|> if you do not use olvwm hit n now

This was no doubt posted recently, but I am a new reader of the group.
Where does one get olvwm (I assume there is an FTP site)?

--Brett.

============================================================|
Brett B. Doehr           Martin Marietta Astronautics Group |
Voice: (303) 977-1504           Internet: doehr@den.mmc.com |
Fax:   (303) 977-1530               America Online: BrettBD |
    "Writing software that only a mother could love..."     |
============================================================|

fcaggian@kepler.com (Frank Caggiano) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.174620.8589@wlbr.imsd.contel.com>, mh@awds27.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) writes:

> What do you think about using the window titles for determining what
> should be sticky ?? You could have a resource that is a list of regular
> expressions. If one of the expressions matches the window title the
> window would be made sticky.

	The problem with this is that the title bar is, on the one hand too
variable to uniquely identify a window you want sticky and on the other hand
its not variable enough to differentiate between instances of an application.

	For example in my xterm and cmdtool windows I use the bar to display
the machine I'm logged on the cwd and the directory stack, what regex would
identify these windows uniquely. As another example I have three xclocks for
displaying three timezones, the title bar has the timezone. In this case I would
need three entries for the three windows instead of just one XClock entry.
Finally my console window is the only xterm which I have sticky. The title bar
is identical to other xterm windows, how would I make just this instance sticky?

	The WM_CLASS attribute is designed just for this type of idetification
of windows. I don't belive the title bar would work nearlly as well.

--
Frank Caggiano                      INTERNET: fcaggian@kepler.com
Kepler Financial Management, Ltd.       UUCP: ..!uunet!kepler1!fcaggian

sdo@piccolo.East.Sun.COM (Scott Oaks - Sun Consulting NYC) (05/13/91)

>> What do you think about using the window titles for determining what
>> should be sticky ?? You could have a resource that is a list of regular
>> expressions. If one of the expressions matches the window title the
>> window would be made sticky.
>
>	The WM_CLASS attribute is designed just for this type of idetification
>of windows. I don't belive the title bar would work nearlly as well.

For these reasons, the WM_CLASS and WM_INSTANCE variables are checked.
However, since deskset applications and most XView applications don't
set these, I'm planning on allowing the WM_NAME field -- which is what
gets displayed in the title bar -- as well.  But since xrdb munges
multi-worded symbols, it's not clear what form this will take.

-sdo
--

-sdo (sdo@piccolo.east.sun.COM)