[comp.windows.open-look] Print function for windows

moody@pdn.paradyne.com (Steve Moody) (05/01/91)

Is there a tool out that will allow you to screen print from a window to a
specified printer. I am present running openwindows on a sun 3/60 with a
terminal emulation called tn3270. I find that it would be very useful to be
able to screen print these windows at various times. I know that there are
ways to affect this through frame captures, and cut and paste, but what I
was really in hopes of was a way to let me click on the window, or submenu
and print the contents of the screen at that instant. It would be great if
this capability existed throughout the entire range of all the windows,
however if I was even able to just use it in my terminal emulation window
I would be happy. I would appreciate any help,suggestions,advice, or S.W.
that would answer this need. Thanks   Steve Moody
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Steve Moody                              AT&T Paradyne                       ~~ moody@pdn.par
adyne.com                   Mail stop LG-130                    ~~                                          P.O Box 2826                        ~~                                          Largo, Fla 34649-2826               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rhaar@albert.cs.gmr.com (Robert L. Haar CS50) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.161741.4177@pdn.paradyne.com>,
moody@pdn.paradyne.com (Steve Moody) writes:
|> Is there a tool out that will allow you to screen print from a window to a
|> specified printer. I am present running openwindows on a sun 3/60 with a
|> terminal emulation called tn3270. I find that it would be very useful to be
|> able to screen print these windows at various times. I know that there are
|> ways to affect this through frame captures, and cut and paste, but what I
|> was really in hopes of was a way to let me click on the window, or submenu
|> and print the contents of the screen at that instant

Have you tried the snapshot utility that Sun provides with
OpenWindows? It should be listed under the default workspace
menu. Snapshot can capture an window/region/screen to a file
and print the image to a postscript printerx.

If you are running the 3270 terminal emulation that works thru
an xterm window, you can also use the session logging capability
to capture terminal sessions to a file. You toggle logging on/off
my using the <control><left-mouse-button> combination in the window.

	Bob Haar  InterNet : rhaar@gmr.com
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.

openlook-request@openlook (05/13/91)

> Is there a tool out that will allow you to screen print from a window to a
> specified printer.

	Try xwd/xpr... (MIT) Standard X Window apps.

	Frank G.

rhaar@albertgmr.com (Robert L. Haar CS50) (05/14/91)

In article <bboty1s@openlook.Unify.Com>,
openlook-request@openlook.ogi.edu writes:
|> > Is there a tool out that will allow you to screen print from a
window to a
|> > specified printer.
|>
|> 	Try xwd/xpr... (MIT) Standard X Window apps.

SInce this was posted to c.w.o-l , I assume that you are running
Open Windows - most likely Sun's version 2.0. The snapshot utility
that is part of the DESKSET package lets you capture a "snapshot"
of a window, a region or the whole screen. The snapshot can be
stored in a file as a raster image or sent to an arbitrary
postscript printer.  If you don't have access to a postscript
printer, the pbmplus software package has conversions to many other
formats.