[comp.windows.open-look] pageview problems..

kalt@nmsu.edu (Kerry Alt) (05/14/91)

Has anyone out there encountered problems with pageview ignoring the
page breaks in postscipt files generated by dvi2ps? The .ps file
prints out fine, but when previewed with pageview, all pages are
displayed on one page. Any fixes to be had?

Thanks,

Kerry
**  Kerry Alt at The Computer Operations Group **
**  kalt@nmsu.edu                              **
**  ph. 505/646-3645 (at COG)                  **
**          646-5318 (messages)                **
**          524-7247 (home)                    **

chow@wanjina.Berkeley.EDU (Ed Chow) (05/14/91)

In article <1278@opus.NMSU.Edu> kalt@nmsu.edu (Kerry Alt) writes:
:Has anyone out there encountered problems with pageview ignoring the
:page breaks in postscipt files generated by dvi2ps? The .ps file
:prints out fine, but when previewed with pageview, all pages are
:displayed on one page. Any fixes to be had?

I encountered the same distressing problem last week.  What worked for me
is to get rid of any extraneous "%!" in the .ps file generated by dvi2ps.
Meaning there should be only one of them--at the top of the file.
Apparently Pageview gets all confused if it sees more than one of these.

(Is this on the Frequently Asked Questions list?  What?  There's no FAQ list?)

-Ed

In article <1278@opus.NMSU.Edu> kalt@nmsu.edu (Kerry Alt) writes:
>Has anyone out there encountered problems with pageview ignoring the
>page breaks in postscipt files generated by dvi2ps? The .ps file
>prints out fine, but when previewed with pageview, all pages are
>displayed on one page. Any fixes to be had?

I just spent several hours playing with a file that worked and
a file that didn't (thanks to the great docs on pageview (are
there any docs on pageview?)).

What you need is to have

%%EndProlog

just before the first page (but after all the definitions) and
then preceed each page with

%%Page: n n

Where n is in theory the page number although since I was doing
this in a sed script I just used 1 all the time.  (Actually I
suspect that the second n is supposed to be the total number of
pages, but the sample I was looking at didn't have it set to that.)

That seemed to do it for me.
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

haberman@s1.msi.umn.edu (Joe Habermann) (05/15/91)

kalt@nmsu.edu (Kerry Alt) writes:

>Has anyone out there encountered problems with pageview ignoring the
>page breaks in postscipt files generated by dvi2ps? The .ps file
>prints out fine, but when previewed with pageview, all pages are
>displayed on one page. Any fixes to be had?

>Thanks,

>Kerry

Someone asked a similar question before in alt.sys.sun.  Philip Robar
of Sun replied and I saved the note.  His response follows.

Joe Habermann
haberman@msi.umn.edu

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
From: philr@knecht.Eng.Sun.COM (Phil Robar)
Newsgroups: alt.sys.sun
Subject: Re: Why doesn't 'pageview' understand pages?
Date: 20 Mar 91 23:24:23 GMT

jscott@mandata@uunet.uu.net (Jeff Scott) writes:

>Pageview under Open windows 4.1.1 is nice.  However, it doesn't seem
>to understand pages the same way my Postscript printer does.  Some files
>I try to display just image as all pages overlaid on top of each other--
>These same files print just fine on my Postscript printer.
>Other files image as distinct pages that I can view one at a time.

>Can anyone tell me what's going on here?  Is there some way I can preprocess
>my Postscript files to make them image as individual pages for pageview?

The problem is not with pageview, it is with applications that generate
PostScript documents that do not follow the Adobe Document Structuring
Conventions (PostScript Language Reference Manual, 2ed, appendix G).
Frame and Interleaf are among the offenders.  Pageview has filters it
uses when it detects Frame (and I think Interleaf) docs.

The real answer to to complain to who ever wrote the offending application.

--
Philip Robar
Sun Microsystems

lih@att.com (Andrew Lih) (05/16/91)

I have the same problem with PageView and the .ps files coming from
dvi2ps.

/Andrew

AT&T Bell Labs
Middletown, NJ

juices@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Michael A Guttman) (05/16/91)

Why are people faulting pageview here?  The problem is obviously with
erroneous encapsulated postscript generators.

Instead of dvi2ps, we have been using dvips, available from
labrea.stanford.edu.  This an up-to-date program that not only works
without a hitch on pageview, but allows one to include other
encapsulated postscript files (i.e. drawings, images) in the document.

I used it for my thesis, which contains many such drawings, graphs and
images - with NO CUTTING AND PASTING!

- Mike

email: guttman@mashie.ece.jhu.edu