[comp.windows.open-look] CM problems

dcox@tweety.ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) (12/14/90)

[Sun4/260, SunOS4.0.3, OpenWindows Version2]

One of the users on my network has moved to another machine.  The
name of his old machine was happy, so his calendar info was in
happy:/usr/spool/calendar/callog.<username>.  He has moved to a
new machine called sleepy, and I am trying to rcp this file from
his old machine into /usr/spool/calendar on his new to retain all
of his calendar appointments.  When I call up his calendar on the
new machine it keeps coming up blank.  Is there more to it than
just copying over this file?  Has anyone come up with a better way
of accessing this information?  It's kind of a pain always having to
login to the same machine to check your own calendar.

Thanks.
--
                  Don Cox
Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998

croft@csusac.csus.edu (Steve Croft) (12/16/90)

In article <1990Dec14.152243.4909@ssd.kodak.com> dcox@tweety.ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:
>         .    .      .                 Is there more to it than
>just copying over this file?  Has anyone come up with a better way
>of accessing this information?  It's kind of a pain always having to
>login to the same machine to check your own calendar.

Make sure you restart the cm daemon.

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec14.152243.4909@ssd.kodak.com>,
dcox@tweety.ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:

> [Sun4/260, SunOS4.0.3, OpenWindows Version2]
>
> One of the users on my network has moved to another machine.  The
> name of his old machine was happy, so his calendar info was in
> happy:/usr/spool/calendar/callog.<username>.  He has moved to a
> new machine called sleepy, and I am trying to rcp this file from
> his old machine into /usr/spool/calendar on his new to retain all
> of his calendar appointments.  When I call up his calendar on the
> new machine it keeps coming up blank.  Is there more to it than
> just copying over this file?  Has anyone come up with a better way
> of accessing this information?  It's kind of a pain always having to
> login to the same machine to check your own calendar.

You need to make sure that the permisssions on /usr/spool/calendar are
drwxrwsrwt (1777 I think), and that both the owner and the group are
daemon.
Then, you need to restart rpc.cmsd.  I have had problems where this
would
not work, but after setting it up correctly, and rebooting the machine,
all is well.

> Thanks.
> --
>                   Don Cox
> Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998
> INTERNET    dcox@ssd.kodak.com
> When an eel bites your leg, and the pain makes you beg, that's a
moray!

--

---
Greg Pasquariello

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (05/14/91)

System:   SunOS 4.1.1 on a SparcStation 2 with X11R4

Problem:  Can't get CM to work properly.  First it complains about
          a missing font, and then all kinds of error messages
	  are generated when I view by the month.  Here are the error
	  codes generated:

-jc-  [raven: /home/local/X11R4/Sun4/lib/fonts] % cm &
[2] 19195
-jc-  [raven: /home/local/X11R4/Sun4/lib/fonts] % XView warning: Cannot load fon
t '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-90-*-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)
XView warning: Cannot load font '-b&h-lucida-bold-r-normal-sans-*-90-*-*-*-*-*-*
' (Font package)
XView warning: invalid object (not a pointer), xv_get
XView warning: invalid object (not a pointer), xv_get
XView warning: invalid object (not a pointer), xv_get
XView warning: invalid object (not a pointer), xv_get

[..Lots of the Xview warnings...]

	  So, I thought that perhaps the font path was a problem.  I tried
	  doing a 'xset fp+ /usr/openwin/lib/fonts' but I got the following
	  error:

-jc-  [pitch: /usr/openwin/lib/fonts] % xset fp+ /usr/openwin/lib/fonts/
X Error:  BadValue
  Request Major code 51 ()
  Request Minor code 0
  ResourceID 0x3
  Error Serial #4
  Current Serial #6

	  Could someone please explain to me what is going on?  I work
	  on another machine which is very similiar to this and I have
          no such problems.

Thank you for your time.

jc

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc@raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879
"But to risk we must, for the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.  For
the man or woman who risks nothing, has nothing, does nothing, is nothing."
	(Quote from the eulogy for the late Christa McAuliffe.)

weimer@garden.ssd.kodak.com (Gary Weimer (253-7796)) (05/15/91)

In article <JC.91May14024929@raven.bu.edu> you write:

|> System:   SunOS 4.1.1 on a SparcStation 2 with X11R4
|>
|> Problem:  Can't get CM to work properly.  First it complains about
|>           a missing font, and then all kinds of error messages
|> 	  are generated when I view by the month.  Here are the error
|> 	  codes generated:
|>
|> XView warning: Cannot load font
'-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-90-*-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)
|> XView warning: Cannot load font
'-b&h-lucida-bold-r-normal-sans-*-90-*-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)
|> XView warning: invalid object (not a pointer), xv_get
|> [..Lots of the Xview warnings...]
|>
|> 	  So, I thought that perhaps the font path was a problem.  I tried
|> 	  doing a 'xset fp+ /usr/openwin/lib/fonts' but I got the following
|> 	  error:
|>
|> -jc-  [pitch: /usr/openwin/lib/fonts] % xset fp+ /usr/openwin/lib/fonts/
|> X Error:  BadValue
|>   Request Major code 51 ()
|>   Request Minor code 0
|>   ResourceID 0x3
|>   Error Serial #4
|>   Current Serial #6
|>

|> 	  Could someone please explain to me what is going on?  I work
|> 	  on another machine which is very similiar to this and I have
|>           no such problems.

If you are trying to run cm from X, your
/home/local/X11R4/Sun4/lib/fonts/fonts.dir file will need entries that
match both '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-90-*-*-*-*-*-*' and
'-b&h-lucida-bold-r-normal-sans-*-90-*-*-*-*-*-*'. Since our system was
missing '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-90-*-*-*-*-*-*', I copied
the line with '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-80-*-*-*-*-*-*' and
changed the 80 to a 90 (close enough, I figured). For each line you add
to this file, you must add 1 to the number in the first line of this
file. You will also need to find a usable font for -b&h-lucida-medium
and add this to your fonts.dir file. I chose a smaller font so that it
would fit in any space allocated for the original size.

Not very eligant, but it worked for me.

weimer@ssd.kodak.com ( Gary Weimer )

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (05/20/91)

In article <JC.91May14024929@raven.bu.edu> jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:

>System:   SunOS 4.1.1 on a SparcStation 2 with X11R4
>
>	  So, I thought that perhaps the font path was a problem.  I tried
>	  doing a 'xset fp+ /usr/openwin/lib/fonts' but I got the following
>	  error:
>
>-jc-  [pitch: /usr/openwin/lib/fonts] % xset fp+ /usr/openwin/lib/fonts/
>X Error:  BadValue
>  Request Major code 51 ()
>  Request Minor code 0
>  ResourceID 0x3
>  Error Serial #4
>  Current Serial #6

The first problem is easily fixed.  You have to put a proper entry in your
/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/fonts.dir file.  I don't know exactly what
that is, you'll have to look in the file to find out.

As for why xset fp+ ... doesn't work:  Open Windows uses a different font
format than X11R4.

| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |