[comp.windows.open-look] devGUIDE Core Dumping! HELP!

jipping@cs.hope.edu (Mike Jipping) (05/20/91)

I'm on a SPARCstation 2 and I'm using Sun's GUIDE (devGUIDE) software to
design a complex user interface in XView.  I've got a popup window, 3
panels, 20 buttons, 5 checkboxes...the ".G" file is ~660 lines long.

My problem is that, while GUIDE used to work on this, it core dumps now
on various activities.  For example, I can drag a button onto a panel,
but when I open a definition window, redefine some things, and hit
"Apply" to apply the redefinitions, *BOOM* I get a core dump.  Pulling up
a menu is OK, but selecting an item from the menu gives a core dump.
Trying to exit the program causes a core dump.

Has anyone had these experiences?  Are there workarounds?

Thanks...I'll summarize.

      Mike Jipping
      Hope College Department of Computer Science
      jipping@cs.hope.edu  (BITNET: JIPPING@HOPE)

      "Koo koo ka choo"
                  -- Simon and Garfunkel, "Mrs. Robinson"

openlook-request@openlook (05/22/91)

> I'm on a SPARCstation 2 and I'm using Sun's GUIDE (devGUIDE) software to
> design a complex user interface in XView.  I've got a popup window, 3
> panels, 20 buttons, 5 checkboxes...the ".G" file is ~660 lines long.
>
> My problem is that, while GUIDE used to work on this, it core dumps now
> on various activities.  For example, I can drag a button onto a panel,
> but when I open a definition window, redefine some things, and hit
> "Apply" to apply the redefinitions, *BOOM* I get a core dump.  Pulling up
> a menu is OK, but selecting an item from the menu gives a core dump.
> Trying to exit the program causes a core dump.
>
> Has anyone had these experiences?  Are there workarounds?

	This is interesting.  I've been experiencing weird things like
	this myself.  It seems to be related with our upgrading to SunOS 4.1.
	In addition, apps built with devGUIDE (and compiled with 4.1) seem
	to crap out looking for a file in a "/Proto" directory (while
	sleuthing around with trace).

	Maybe this is an Xview problem rather than a devGUIDE problem?

	Frank G.

brentb@montagne.Eng.Sun.COM (Brent Browning) (05/28/91)

In article <7get1ew@openlook.Unify.Com>  writes:

>> My problem is that, while GUIDE used to work on this, it core dumps now
>> on various activities.  For example, I can drag a button onto a panel,
>> but when I open a definition window, redefine some things, and hit
>> "Apply" to apply the redefinitions, *BOOM* I get a core dump.
>
>	This is interesting.  I've been experiencing weird things like
>	this myself.  It seems to be related with our upgrading to SunOS 4.1.
>	In addition, apps built with devGUIDE (and compiled with 4.1) seem
>	to crap out looking for a file in a "/Proto" directory (while
>	sleuthing around with trace).

   In Mike's case the problem is a bug in olgx, the OPEN LOOK
graphics library.  It only happens in monochrome and it only happens
when you have a glyph of some sort.  His interface had a glyph in a
button and he has a monocrome monitor.  If your stack trace ends
up in olgx_draw_text, you're being bit.

   I know that the bug is fixed in OpenWindows V3.  There is rumored
to be a patch, I'm looking around for it.

   As for Frank's problem, I'm not sure what is going on.  The release
engineering group builds things in a directory /proto/... but Devguide
never tries to do anything there.  The only information that would
have that is the stamp from ld.  Is your application finding all
the XView, olgx, and X11 libraries correctly?  Try "ldd myapp".

Brent Browning			Internet: brentb@Eng.Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems, Inc		UUCP: ...!sun!brentb
2550 Garcia Ave. MTV 01-40	Phone: (415) 336-5573
Mountain View, CA 94043