[comp.windows.open-look] How do you edit a file with *very* long lines

jbiggs@armltd.uucp (John Biggs) (06/03/91)

Does any one out there know a good way to edit a file
with long (>255) lines without them wrapping?

I use a SPARC station2 with Open Windows and ideally
what I would like is something like textedit with a
horizontal scroll bar, so that I can have a *real*
window on my file which can be scrolled both horizontally
and vertically. I have tried the clip lines in textedit
but there still seems to be hard limit on the maximum width
and it is quite hard to move horizontally.

advTHANKSance

--John (jbiggs@armltd.co.uk)

bpowell@osc.edu (Brian Powell) (06/05/91)

In article <187@armltd.uucp>, jbiggs@armltd.uucp (John Biggs) writes:
> Does any one out there know a good way to edit a file
> with long (>255) lines without them wrapping?
>
> I use a SPARC station2 with Open Windows and ideally
> what I would like is something like textedit with a
> horizontal scroll bar, so that I can have a *real*
> window on my file which can be scrolled both horizontally
> and vertically. I have tried the clip lines in textedit
> but there still seems to be hard limit on the maximum width
> and it is quite hard to move horizontally.
>
> advTHANKSance
>
> --John (jbiggs@armltd.co.uk)

GNU Emacs can edit your file.  You can set the variable "truncate-lines" to
"t" and use the "scroll-left" and "scroll-right" commands to move horizontally
in your text.  Heck, if you compile/run emacs under X (xemacs), you could even
bind "scroll-left" and "scroll-right" to mouse operations so that you would
not have to use the keyboard to do horizontal scrolling.  BTW, emacs supports
lines of *any* length, you can even edit binary files with it...

-- Brian

|                                            Brian S. Powell  bpowell@osc.edu |
+--"My other computer is a CRAY" (YMP 8/864)----------------------------------+