[comp.windows.open-look] resize corners and headers in OW 2.0 frames

ph600fck@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (Dan Gehlhaar) (06/04/91)

Hello.  I am trying to create a very plain-vanilla frame (no
headers OR resize corners) using OW 2.0 on a SPARCStation IPC
running SunOS 4.1.1.  I can create a frame with no footer or
resize corners as follows:

   frame = (Frame) xv_create (XV_NULL, FRAME,
                              FRAME_SHOW_HEADER, TRUE,
                              FRAME_SHOW_FOOTER, FALSE,
                              FRAME_SHOW_RESIZE_CORNER, FALSE,
                              XV_NULL);

When I set the FRAME_SHOW_HEADER attribute to false, the header
goes away but I get resize corners appearing automagically.
I have been unable to get *all 3* attributes to go away
at the same time.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Is this a bug?
Thanks in advance.

Dan Gehlhaar
Logicon Tactical and Training Systems
dkg@tots.logicon.com
{nosc!hamachi, sun!suntan}!tots!dkg

strom@cg-atla.UUCP (Dan Strom) (06/08/91)

In article <20100@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ph600fck@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (Dan Gehlhaar) writes:
>Hello.  I am trying to create a very plain-vanilla frame (no
>headers OR resize corners) using OW 2.0 on a SPARCStation IPC
> [stuff deleted]
>When I set the FRAME_SHOW_HEADER attribute to false, the header
>goes away but I get resize corners appearing automagically.
>I have been unable to get *all 3* attributes to go away
>at the same time.
>
>Has anyone else encountered this?  Is this a bug?
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Dan Gehlhaar

I'm trying to do the same and get the same (undesirable) results.  You can use
the WIN_TOP_LEVEL_NO_DECOR attribute set to TRUE.  This sets override-redirrect
which has the desired effect.

The problem (for me) is that it has the undesirable effect that the window
manager (olwm) doesn't give input focus to this window in focus follows pointer
mode without a mouse click in the window.  (We need to put text fields in a
window with no decorations for various unchangeable historical reasons).
I've monitored which window gets focus and it's the Root window which gets it
when the pointer passes over this window.  Maybe this is expected behavior
because I did ask for override-redirect but...

I would like to re-ask the question with this addition :  Is there a way to get
NO decorations, be able to put the window where I want it, AND get input focus
in focus-follows-pointe mode?

Thanks,
Dan Strom