[comp.windows.open-look] table fields in XView?

6600woo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Steve Woo) (06/04/91)

Has anyone implemeted a table field in Xview?
By table field, I mean a 'list' with multiple
columns and rows and perhaps lines in between these
columns and rows.

Please email as I do not read this group frequently

 Thanks
--------

openlook-request@openlook (06/05/91)

> Has anyone implemeted a table field in Xview?
> By table field, I mean a 'list' with multiple
> columns and rows and perhaps lines in between these
> columns and rows.

	You're not the only one wanting this one.  There's
	a whole lot of Xview pgmrs in NYC that want it.
	(a bonafide Xview object, not a separate API)

	Frank G.

brianw@gazooch.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Warkentine) (06/06/91)

In article <zuysw8w@openlook.Unify.Com>  writes:
>> Has anyone implemeted a table field in Xview?
>> By table field, I mean a 'list' with multiple
>> columns and rows and perhaps lines in between these
>> columns and rows.
>
>	You're not the only one wanting this one.  There's
>	a whole lot of Xview pgmrs in NYC that want it.
>	(a bonafide Xview object, not a separate API)
>
>	Frank G.

Ah, but what you are looking for does exist and is freely available.
Check out the Slingshot Packages, available by email from
archive-server@gazooch.Eng.Sun.COM.  To get the entire distribution,
put the following lines in the body of the message:

 send sspkg part01 part02 part03 part04 part05
 send sspkg part06 part07 part08 part09 part10
 send sspkg part11 part12 part13 part14 part15

The Slingshot Packages are a set of XView extensions that include a
layout manager called an Array_tile.  The Array_tile positions objects such
as text, icons, and arbitrary combinations of other Slingshot objects,
in a two dimensional array.

It has some other interesting objects, but that is not what you're asking for.

There are some caveats: It is beta quality (but there have been very
few bugs reported since it was released) and it is not very openlook-ish.

The distribution will remain on the archive server until it is released
over one of the sources groups.  I had planned to close beta and send it
off sometime next week, but my current job situation may push this back
a bit.

-brianw

adc@tardis.uucp (Alan D. Cabrera) (06/06/91)

In article <zuysw8w@openlook.Unify.Com> openlook-request@openlook writes:
>> Has anyone implemeted a table field in Xview?
>> By table field, I mean a 'list' with multiple
>> columns and rows and perhaps lines in between these
>> columns and rows.
>
>	You're not the only one wanting this one.  There's
>	a whole lot of Xview pgmrs in NYC that want it.
>	(a bonafide Xview object, not a separate API)
>
>	Frank G.

What about the Slingshot XView packages?

From the Slingshot docs:

These XView extensions provide a toolkit approach to user interface
objects that appear inside XView canvases.  These extensions are useful for
rendering and organizing user interface objects.  As extensions to the XView
toolkit, the XView API (e.g. xv_create, xv_destroy, xv_set, and xv_get)
is used.  In most cases, lower level Xlib functions can be avoided altogether.
For these reasons, construction of certain types of interfaces are
greatly simplified.

The packages that are documented herein are:

-Rectobj
        A basic object that is used as a superclass for all the other
        objects in this package.  In its simpliest form, it is a
        rectangular area inside of a canvas_shell.  It can contain
        multiple "children" rectobjs.  (Folks familar with the
        Xt Intrinsics' RectObj gadget will recognize that this object is
        very similar in purpose.)

-Canvas_shell
        This is a subclass of the XView canvas with a few additions.  It
        can contain multiple "children" rectobjs.

-Drawimage
        This is a rectobj with a picture (a server image object).  It is
        selectable by a left mouse click, is aware of double clicks, and can
        be dragged and dropped.

-Drawtext
        This is a rectobj with a text string and a font.  It is selectable by
        a left mouse click, is aware of double clicks, and can be dragged
        and dropped.

-Drawicon
        This is a combination of a drawimage object and a drawtext object
        positioned in file manager style.

-Drawarea
        This is a sketchpad object that applications can doodle into
        without having to worry about scaling or repainting.

-Drawline
        This is a simple line between two endpoints.  Each endpoint
        can have an arrowhead.

-Drawrect
        This is a filled or opaque rectangular area.

-Grip
        This is an object that can be dragged within the window, usually
        used to alter the state of another object.  This can be viewed
        as a slider that moves in two dimensions.

-Array_tile
        This object positions other objects in a flat two dimensional
        array.

-Tree
        This object positions its children in a hierarchy.  Children
        are visually connected with Drawline objects.

Sorry, I forgot where I FTPed it from.

--
Alan Cabrera				internet:  adc@tardis.cl.msu.edu
Michigan State University		phone:     (517) 353-3027

openlook-request@openlook (06/07/91)

> In article <zuysw8w@openlook.Unify.Com>  writes:
> >> Has anyone implemeted a table field in Xview?
> >> By table field, I mean a 'list' with multiple
> >> columns and rows and perhaps lines in between these
> >> columns and rows.
> >
> >	You're not the only one wanting this one.  There's
> >	a whole lot of Xview pgmrs in NYC that want it.
> >	(a bonafide Xview object, not a separate API)
> >
> Ah, but what you are looking for does exist and is freely available.
> Check out the Slingshot Packages, available by email from

	Yes I see that now.  I wish it was described more clearly in
	your docs though... and an example might've been useful.
	(I *really* can't complain that much about beta software...)

	I guess you address the children of the ARRAY_TILE not
	with the usual:

		xv_set(child1,
			XV_X, xv_col(1),
			XV_Y, xv_row(2),
			NULL);
	but with:

		xv_set(arrtile,
			ARRAY_TILE_COLUMN, child1, 1,
			ARRAY_TILE_ROW,    child1, 2,
			NULL);

	In other words, you really don't position the children directly.
	Correct?

> There are some caveats: It is beta quality (but there have been very
> few bugs reported since it was released) and it is not very openlook-ish.

	Ah a problem.  Will it be part of the OW 3.0 Xview?  When will
	it be OL-ish?  When will devGUIDE know about them?

	I can use beta software for demo purposes, but my *real* apps can't.

> The distribution will remain on the archive server until it is released
> over one of the sources groups.  I had planned to close beta and send it
> off sometime next week, but my current job situation may push this back
> a bit.

	How do I send bug reports?  I've found one bad one with
	one of the examples (a combo of mouse clicks hangs the server).

	Frank G.

	BTW, these Slingshot objects are great!  And the Xlib graphics
	wrappers help out a real lot with some of the application pgmrs
	around here.

brianw@gazooch.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Warkentine) (06/10/91)

In article <9yvsg6m@openlook.Unify.Com> openlook-request@openlook writes:

>	Yes I see that now.  I wish it was described more clearly in
>	your docs though... and an example might've been useful.
>	(I *really* can't complain that much about beta software...)

The documentation is known to be evil at this point.  There are two (code)
examples of the ARRAY_TILE though, one of which I will beef up to
be blatantly obvious.

>	In other words, you really don't position the children directly.
>	Correct?

Correct.  The ARRAY_TILE is a "geometry manager" in the sense that it
implements policy for positioning its children.  XV_X and XV_Y aren't very
useful because the position is determined by the ARRAY_TILE_ROW and
ARRAY_TILE_COLUMN.  In fact, the ARRAY_TILE is a little too forceful about
it's children:  attempts to set a child's XV_X or XV_Y are ignored.

>	Ah a problem.  Will it be part of the OW 3.0 Xview?  When will
>	it be OL-ish?  When will devGUIDE know about them?
>
>	I can use beta software for demo purposes, but my *real* apps can't.

The real problem is that this is unsupported software -- one reason the
source is being made available.  It is not planned as a product and
only during occasional late evenings and weekends does any progress get
made on them.

>	How do I send bug reports?  I've found one bad one with
>	one of the examples (a combo of mouse clicks hangs the server).

Send bug reports to slingshot-packages@gazooch.Eng.Sun.COM.  A hanging
server is pretty serious, please send a description.

>	BTW, these Slingshot objects are great!  And the Xlib graphics
>	wrappers help out a real lot with some of the application pgmrs
>	around here.

Thanks for the testimonial!

-brian
brian.warkentine@Eng.Sun.COM

leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) (06/10/91)

Can someone provide a pointer to where I can find the SlingShot
package for OW 2.0?  Is it public domain? Available via anonymous FTP?

Thanks!

-Bill Leue
leue@crd.ge.com