[comp.windows.open-look] Source code from David Miller's book Open Look at UNIX

pmajumda@cfdev0360.shearson.com (Partha Majumdar) (06/06/91)

I recently bought John David Miller's book named An Open look at UNIX.
The book included a 5 1/4" diskette containing all his source codes reflecting
the examples from the book which are quite helpful.  However, since the
diskette is in UNIX cpio format and it is 5 1/4" I am having extremely
difficult time finding a drive to upload the source from this floppy diskette.

I would appreciate if anyone would provide any information or the source
which I may be able to upload into my machine. Thank you.

jdm@gssc.UUCP (John David Miller) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun6.142938.21032@shearson.com> pmajumda@cfdev0360.shearson.com (Partha Majumdar) writes:
>I recently bought John David Miller's book named An Open look at UNIX.
>The book included a 5 1/4" diskette containing all his source codes reflecting
>the examples from the book which are quite helpful.

I'm very glad you like it!

IMPORTANT NOTE: Sun now ships my book and a special 50-page addendum with
the 2.5 release of OLIT.  Call Sun and ask for the OLIT 2.5 update and you'll
get a copy of my book and the addendum along with the 2.5 CD.  Unfortunately,
my source code is not on the CD, but I am working to see that the Sun field
offices have it available.

>However, since the
>diskette is in UNIX cpio format and it is 5 1/4" I am having extremely
>difficult time finding a drive to upload the source from this floppy diskette.

What format would you like?  I have made the source available in DOS and Sun
formats, too: Quarterdeck sold the DOS version and Sun had the source on
their bulletin board.  I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks while
changing jobs, but I will check this group when I get back to make sure
this is resolved.

>I would appreciate if anyone would provide any information or the source
>which I may be able to upload into my machine. Thank you.

This is perfectly fine with me.  If you paid for the source, you should have
it!  Personally, I think that anyone who purchases the book should have the
source available in electronic form.  The $10 or whatever they charge for
the disk should be considered media fee.  However, M&T holds the source code
as their copywritten material, so I can't go giving it away.

-- jdm
--
John David Miller                      jdm@gss.com
Graphic Software Systems               uunet!gssc!jdm