[comp.windows.open-look] changing the pointer colour in OW2

sjm@moggie.anu.edu.au (Stephen Meatheringham) (06/19/91)

I am trying to change my pointer colour in OW2.   I was running XWindows (R4p18)
on a DECstation and that has menu items allowing the cursor colour to be set.  So
I changed my colour to green.   This has also affected my OW colour on a SPARCstation.   When I look in the .Xdefaults file the entries that seem to have changed are

SM.pointer_foreground
SM.pointer_background

So I have tried changing them and they appear to have no effect.   Are these the correct values?   The OW manuals have no info., and neither do the olwm man pages.

				Stephen Meatheringham
				Mt. Stromlo Observatory
				CANBERRA, Australia

SALewis@lbl.gov (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun19.034216.24417@newshost.anu.edu.au> sjm@moggie.anu.edu.au
(Stephen Meatheringham) writes:
>I am trying to change my pointer colour in OW2.   I was running XWindows
(R4p18)
>on a DECstation and that has menu items allowing the cursor colour to be set.
So
>I changed my colour to green.   This has also affected my OW colour on a
SPARCstation.   When I look in the .Xdefaults file the entries that seem to
have changed are

>SM.pointer_foreground
>SM.pointer_background
>
>So I have tried changing them and they appear to have no effect.   Are these
the correct values?   The OW manuals have no info., and neither do the olwm man
pages.

>                                Stephen Meatheringham
>                                Mt. Stromlo Observatory
>                                CANBERRA, Australia

By reading the source code to olvwm, you learn a lot about undocumented
features of olwm!  My colleages found that putting

	OpenWindows.cursorColor: blue

in .Xdefaults changes the cursor color in those areas of the screen where
olwm/olvwm itself is receiving focus, that is, in the window(s) decoration
or workspace.  (Notice the lower-case 'c' in the resource spelling.)

	Steve Lewis
	Computer Systems Engineering Department
	Bevalac Controls Group
	Lawrence Berkeley Lab

(With thanks to Jim Guggemos and Mike Bordua)