[comp.windows.open-look] olwm resource question

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (Larry W. Virden ext. 2487) (06/17/91)

Where does olwm get its various resource values?  I suspect that if the
user has some in the .Xdefaults or in the resource database they
will be used.  But if not there, is there a default file of values that
are used, or are the values just hard coded into the application?
--
Larry W. Virden                 UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27
Same Mbox: BITNET: lwv27@cas    INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (06/19/91)

In article <9106171252.AA1069@cas.org> lwv27@CAS.BITNET (Larry W. Virden ext. 2487) writes:
>Where does olwm get its various resource values? ...
>   is there a default file of values that
>are used, or are the values just hard coded into the application?

I would suggest looking in the app-defaults directory.

On an OpenWindows system this is in $OPENWINHOME/lib
On a MIT X11r4 system it is in the lib/X11 directory.
--
---------------
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)

Stuart Marks <Stuart.Marks@Eng.Sun.COM> (06/19/91)

    Where does olwm get its various resource values?  I suspect that if the
    user has some in the .Xdefaults or in the resource database they
    will be used.  But if not there, is there a default file of values that
    are used, or are the values just hard coded into the application?

Yes, they come from $HOME/.Xdefaults, which is typically loaded into the
server's RESOURCE_MANAGER property at startup time.  Olwm will also read
resources from $OPENWINHOME/lib/app-defaults/<argv[0]> if it is present.
(This file isn't present in the standard OpenWindows distribution.  If you
create it, olwm should start using it.)  Values specified in .Xdefaults
will override those found in the app-defaults file.

For any resource, if no value can be found in either .Xdefaults or the
app-defaults file, olwm will use a hardwired default value.

s'marks

Stuart W. Marks			ARPA: smarks@eng.sun.com
Windows & Graphics Software	UUCP: sun!smarks
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

SALewis@lbl.gov (06/19/91)

2487) writes:
>>Where does olwm get its various resource values? ...
>>   is there a default file of values that
>>are used, or are the values just hard coded into the application?
>
>I would suggest looking in the app-defaults directory.
>
>On an OpenWindows system this is in $OPENWINHOME/lib
>On a MIT X11r4 system it is in the lib/X11 directory.
>--
>---------------
>uunet!tdatirv!sarima                            (Stanley Friesen)

A common usage is to create a file called ".Xdefaults" in your home
directory--this is particularly effective for per-user customization
or the window-manager resources.

bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com (Bob Geer) (06/20/91)

SALewis@lbl.gov writes:
>In article <50@tdatirv.UUCP> sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
>>In article <9106171252.AA1069@cas.org> lwv27@CAS.BITNET (Larry W. Virden ext.
>2487) writes:
>>>Where does olwm get its various resource values? ...
>>>   is there a default file of values that
>>>are used, or are the values just hard coded into the application?
>>
>>I would suggest looking in the app-defaults directory.
>>
>>On an OpenWindows system this is in $OPENWINHOME/lib
>>On a MIT X11r4 system it is in the lib/X11 directory.
>A common usage is to create a file called ".Xdefaults" in your home
>directory--this is particularly effective for per-user customization
>or the window-manager resources.

More precisely, "copy /usr/openwin/lib/Xdefaults" into a file called
".Xdefaults" in your directory.  Then your .xinitrc must include the
line "xrdb .Xdefaults &" to prepare the x server's resource database.
Check "man xview", "man olwm" (or your preferred window manager), "man
xterm", & other man pages cruisin' to find out which resources a
particular app responds to.
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>   bgeer%javelin.sim.es.com   (this *should* work)   <>
<>     cola-zombie <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>

rhaar@albert.cs.gmr.com (Robert L. Haar CS50) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.150622.9995@javelin.sim.es.com>,
bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com (Bob Geer) writes:
|> SALewis@lbl.gov writes:
Virden ext.

|> More precisely, "copy /usr/openwin/lib/Xdefaults" into a file called
|> ".Xdefaults" in your directory.  Then your .xinitrc must include the
|> line "xrdb .Xdefaults &" to prepare the x server's resource database.

I have had problems that traced back to the "&" in this xrdb call. The
problem is that putting this into the background allows the openwindows
initialization to begin before the xrdb load is done. A race condition
can occur where the olwm setup depends on resource database values
that haven't been set yet.  You are safer to wait until the xrdb
finishes before going on. This is especially the case when your
.Xdefaults file is complicated or when you have more than one resource
definition file to load.

	Bob Haar  InterNet : rhaar@gmr.com
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.

bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com (Bob Geer) (06/21/91)

rhaar@albert.cs.gmr.com (Robert L. Haar CS50) writes:
>In article <1991Jun20.150622.9995@javelin.sim.es.com>,
>bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com (Bob Geer) writes:
>|> More precisely, "copy /usr/openwin/lib/Xdefaults" into a file called
>|> ".Xdefaults" in your directory.  Then your .xinitrc must include the
>|> line "xrdb .Xdefaults &" to prepare the x server's resource database.
>I have had problems that traced back to the "&" in this xrdb call. The
>problem is that putting this into the background allows the openwindows
>initialization to begin before the xrdb load is done. A race condition
>can occur where the olwm setup depends on resource database values
>that haven't been set yet.  You are safer to wait until the xrdb
>finishes before going on. This is especially the case when your
>.Xdefaults file is complicated or when you have more than one resource
>definition file to load.

I checked the distribution file "/usr/openwin/lib/Xinitrc" which I
assume is intended to be a prototype .xinitrc that a user might copy &
customize.  It does use the "xrdb $HOME/.Xdefaults &" form; surely Sun
must know what it is doing, at least for their "standard" .xinitrc.
However, Mr. Harr's point shouldn't be ignored.  Further, the example
in the X Window System User's Guide (OSF/Motif edition) p559 omits the
"&".

I thank Mr. Haar for bringing this to my attention.

--

Stuart.Marks@Eng.Sun.COM (Stuart Marks) (06/25/91)

    I checked the distribution file "/usr/openwin/lib/Xinitrc" which I
    assume is intended to be a prototype .xinitrc that a user might copy &
    customize.

Correct.

	        It does use the "xrdb $HOME/.Xdefaults &" form; surely Sun
    must know what it is doing, at least for their "standard" .xinitrc.
    However, Mr. Harr's point shouldn't be ignored.

Sorry, this was an oversight.  Mr. Harr is correct; the '&' shouldn't be
there.  This will be fixed in the next release of OpenWindows.