[comp.windows.open-look] Deep and abiding weirdness running Calendar Manager...

mo@gizmo.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) (06/21/91)

I'm trying to run Sun's Calendar Manager and very, very weird
stuff is happening.  When you try to click on a box, it hilights
the pervious day, when you insert something into the schedule,
it disappears and sometimes reappears on the previous day
and then you cannot get it back to edit it.  This is with
open-win 2.0 and the astonishing thing is that it works on
some sparcstations and not on others (all running 4.1.1).
Does anyone recognize this weirdness and how to fix it????

(Please send me mail to mo@bellcore.com)

	Thanks.
	-Mike

nannette@xebra.Eng.Sun.COM (Nannette Simpson) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun21.142431.11310@walter.bellcore.com> mo@bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) writes:
>I'm trying to run Sun's Calendar Manager and very, very weird
>stuff is happening.  When you try to click on a box, it hilights
>the pervious day, when you insert something into the schedule,
>it disappears and sometimes reappears on the previous day
>and then you cannot get it back to edit it.  This is with
>open-win 2.0 and the astonishing thing is that it works on
>some sparcstations and not on others (all running 4.1.1).
>Does anyone recognize this weirdness and how to fix it????
>
>(Please send me mail to mo@bellcore.com)
>
>	Thanks.
>	-Mike

The timezone is set incorrectly on your workstation/server.  The
flags are set by a program called tzsetup which resides in
/usr/etc.  It runs from rc.boot.  It looks at the zone info and sets
up the kernel.  On servers with the wrong flag, it looks like
tzsetup failed; output goes to /dev/null and isn't seen.  It may
be happening because /usr/lib isn't mounted before tzsetup is run.

We discovered the problem on sun3 clients of certain sun4 servers.
The sun4 servers had a directory /export/exec/sun3/share/lib with
just a terminfo subdirectory.  When the clients would boot, they
would execute tzsetup, but would not find the 'localtime' file
which they need to set up their timezone.  What we did to fix
the problem was to remove the /export/exec/sun3/share/lib
directory on each server so that clients would mount the
server's /usr/share/lib dir which had the valid localtime
file under its zoneinfo directory.  Everytime clients
of those servers reboot, they will have the correct timezone
flags set.
--
Nannette Simpson			Internet: nannette@Eng.Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems, Inc.			UUCP: ...!sun!nannette