[comp.org.uniforum] Question for net.views column in UNIX Today!

root@utoday.com (Superuser) (03/02/91)

Will user organizations ever be effective in steering open systems?

						Question #1
	This question is being posted to gather responses for a regular
column in UNIX Today! called "net.views". The purpose of the column
is to generate user response to questions of importance in the Unix
industry.
	By sending an e-mail reply to the above question, you are
granting UNIX Today! permission to consider your comments for
publication. A summary of *all* e-mail responses to this post will be
posted in this newsgroup two weeks from today.
	/* Please include a daytime telephone number! */

mark@uunet.UU.NET (Mark Lawrence) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar01.185418.1066@utoday.com> you write:
} Will user organizations ever be effective in steering open systems?

Only to the extent that entities with significant purchasing power are
represented in the user organizations.  The only reason OSI MAP/TOP are
doing _anything_ is because GM made a corporate commitment to it.  If the
user organizations can extract like firm commitments from their
constituent companies, then they've a chance of influencing vendors.

Mark Lawrence
--
mark@drd.com
mark@jnoc.go.jp    $B!J%^!<%/!&%i%l%s%9!K(B   Nihil novum sub solem

malcolm@uunet.UU.NET (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar01.203755.16915@utoday.com> you write:
>Will user organizations ever be effective in steering open systems?

I see, still debating whether they tail can wag the dog are we? :-|

I think that some of the large user organisations e.g. Boeing, General
Motors, Eastman-Kodak, McDonnell Douglas, etc are having a significant
impact on the direction of Open Systems.  X/Open has a user council
with some 29 organisations represented.  Also both UNIX International
and OSF have user representation.  However, offhand I can't give
specific examples of how users have influenced these organsations
processes.

Ultimately, it is the ordinary user who votes for Open Systems with
his/her chequebook. The reasons they do so may have nothing to do with
the principles of Open Systems (i.e. lower cost)  but none-the-less
their purchases have a valid effect on the momentum of Open Systems.

User still have a choice between proprietary and open and the fact
that open is gaining market share speaks for itself.

In the final analysis, I believe that the move towards Open Systems is
a complex interplay between users and vendors.  It is impossible
to isolate the influence of one without considering the other, and
without both we simply would not have Open Systems.

--
Malcolm Stayner - Open System Consultant             Email: malcolm@icl.co.nz
ICL New Zealand Ltd, P.O. Box 394, Wellington, N.Z.      Tel: +64 (4) 724-884
Malcolm Stayner - Open System Consultant             Email: malcolm@icl.co.nz
ICL New Zealand Ltd, P.O. Box 394, Wellington, N.Z.      Tel: +64 (4) 724-884
"Intelligence is silence, truth is being invisible,      Fax: +64 (4) 726-737
but what a racket I make in declaring this" NED ROREM

berger@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Berger) (03/07/91)

IMHO, Having User Orgs step into the fray will be the major way we can
get past the GUI wars and the FUD factors that the Iron Mongers are
bogged down in.

These vendors have a vested interest in "differentiating" themselves.
Unfortunatly, they use OS's and GUI's instead of price,
performance and interoperability.

This is a self destructive illusion since it limits the success of the
total Unix marketplace pie (and thus the size of the vendor's potential slice)
as well as frustrates the users / developers.

The real winner of a fragmented Unix enviornment then becomes
DOS-Windows-OS/2, IBM and Microsoft :-(

***************
You are free to use / edit / correct spelling this.

It is my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of my employer. As a
mater of fact, please do not put my employer's name in association of
this opinion. You can refer to me as a manager of software development
if need be.

Bob Berger  -  SONY Advanced Video Technology Center
677 River Oaks Parkway  San Jose, CA 95134 408-944-4964 FAX:  408-954-1027
INTERNET: berger@sfc.sony.com   UUCP: [uunet,mips]!sonyusa!sfcsun!berger

domo@uunet.UU.NET (Dominic Dunlop) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar01.185418.1066@utoday.com> you write:
> Will user organizations ever be effective in steering open systems?

Well, writing as the representative of two user organizations to ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC22/WG15 (POSIX), I should say that I'll never get to read the
answer in UNIX Today!, as the controlled circulation application form
that I filled out in the middle of last year elicited no response
whatever.  Clearly, your circulation department thinks that the answer
to your question is, in my case, ``NO.''  I'm not in a position of
sufficient influence even to merit receiving your paper.  (Maybe I did
the wrong thing by actually PAYING for air delivery of CSN until UNIX!
Today er... inherited its worthwhile parts.)

I look forward to reading the results of your survey when posted.  (You
should, by the way, also have posted the question to comp.org.usenix.)

Herewith, my spleen having been vented, my contact details:

Dominic Dunlop
USENIX/EurOpen observer at WG15
The Standard Answer Ltd.
9 The Forty
Cholsey, Wallingford
OXON  OX10 9LH
U.K.

+44 491 652590
+44 491 651751 (fax)
--
Dominic Dunlop

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar01.185418.1066@utoday.com> netviews@utoday.com
(Mitch Irsfeld) writes:
> 	By sending an e-mail reply to the above question, you are
> granting UNIX Today! permission to consider your comments for
> publication. A summary of *all* e-mail responses to this post will be
> posted in this newsgroup two weeks from today.

Those who reply by mail should be warned that responses are apparently
echoed straight back onto the the net.  While this is a neat-ish trick,
it completely negates the whole point of replying by mail -- namely
that one does not consider one's message worthy of/suitable for
immediate broadcast.  Those who want to post in reply are at liberty to
do so; those who do not want to do so should not have it done for
them.  I would counsel UNIX Today to do as it says it will, and
SUMMARIZE email responses after they have been accumulated.
--
Dominic Dunlop

philip@vogon.cetia.fr (Philip Peake) (03/19/91)

In article <6560.9103091035@tsa.co.uk>, tsa.co.uk!domo@uunet.UU.NET (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
|> In article <1991Mar01.185418.1066@utoday.com> you write:
|> > Will user organizations ever be effective in steering open systems?
|> >
|>  I should say that I'll never get to read the
|> answer in UNIX Today!, as the controlled circulation application form
|> that I filled out in the middle of last year elicited no response
|> whatever.  Clearly, your circulation department thinks that the answer
|> to your question is, in my case, ``NO.''  I'm not in a position of
|> sufficient influence even to merit receiving your paper.  (Maybe I did
|> the wrong thing by actually PAYING for air delivery of CSN until UNIX!
|> Today er... inherited its worthwhile parts.)

I had a similar response to my application - i.e. complete silence.
If you ever manage to get onto the circulation list Dominic, maybe you
can drop me an e-mail to tell me how you did it.

Philip