[comp.org.uniforum] Interest in LISA V focus group?

jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) (06/21/91)

xxbja@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov (Betty Jo Armstead) writes:
>I would like to know if there is any interest in attending a focus
>group at the Sept 30- Oct 3 LISA V on centrally managed archive/backup
>for non-heterogeneous unix systems including mainframes.
> . . .  I would
>prefer the emphasis be on requirements/problems and not vendor proposed
>solutions.  I will be glad to summarize and if interest warrants make
>a proposal to the LISA program committee for such a focus group.

I won't be at LISA V, but I would like to hear/see the results of such
a discussion.  I'm presently toying with the idea for handling such a
situation on my network, and would be greatly interested in any ideas
voiced on this topic.

For the sake of discussion, here's a list of my desires for such a system
(not in any particular order:

	1. A standard backup file format.
	2. The ability to perform backups of many (active)
	   disks/machines at one time.
	3. Data encryption.
	4. Data compression.
	5. A historical database for help in locating files.
	6. Tape volume management.
	7. Error recovery.  (Definitely not #7 in importance.)

There are probably major considerations I haven't begun to take into account,
which is why I'd like to hear from others...

-John Eisenmenger
 Dept. of Electrical Engineering
 Duke University