[gnu.g++.help] comp.lang.c++

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) (11/12/90)

I recently sent a message to a GNU mailing list,
help-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu, talking about the use of that very list (and
its associated newsgroup, gnu.g++.help (?)) to promote porting GNU
software to Apple systems.

It appears that my message was copied onto comp.lang.c++.  Probably
the mailing list is gatewayed there.  Some people seem to think it is
wrong of me to send such a message there.  In fact, I did not do so.

If you saw it on that newsgroup, please keep in mind my message was
about the use of the GNU mailing list (and its equivalent newsgroup).
I do urge the readers of comp.lang.c++ not to support the use of Apple
equipment, but I would not assert that such support is misuse of
comp.lang.c++.  I'm sorry if anyone who got the wrong impression felt
offended.

There will be such messages on help-g++ from time to time.  The only
way to avoid having them appear on comp.lang.c++ would be to turn off
the gateway.  The readers of comp.lang.c++ ought to be the ones to
decide whether to do this.  Note, however, that the only choices
available are to gateway nothing, to gateway everything, or to find a
person who would like to do the work of gatewaying selectively.

It may be that the gateway fails to indicate that the messages come from
help-g++.  If so, maybe an improvement in the gateway could avoid
confusion.  I don't know what the message looks like after it goes through
the gateway.

I am sending this message to help-g++ as a way of getting it onto
comp.lang.c++.  I don't post net news directly.

tower@AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (11/15/90)

   From: rms@ai.mit.edu (Richard Stallman)
   Date: Sun, 11 Nov 90 19:17:09 -0500

   I recently sent a message to a GNU mailing list,
   help-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu, talking about the use of that very list (and
   its associated newsgroup, gnu.g++.help (?)) to promote porting GNU
   software to Apple systems.

   It appears that my message was copied onto comp.lang.c++.  Probably
   the mailing list is gatewayed there.

It is.

[...]

The readers of comp.lang.c++ did approve the one way gating in the
Spring of 1988 by ~84 yes votes to ~6 no votes.

   It may be that the gateway fails to indicate that the messages come from
   help-g++.  If so, maybe an improvement in the gateway could avoid
   confusion.  I don't know what the message looks like after it goes through
   the gateway.

I've appended the USENET news header from a gatewayed message.  The
Newsgroups:, Organization:, and Followup-To: header lines make it
clear what's going on.  Even so, we plan to change the Organization:
field to make things even clearer.

   I am sending this message to help-g++ as a way of getting it onto
   comp.lang.c++.  I don't post net news directly.

thanx -len

From: rms@ai.mit.edu (Richard Stallman)
Newsgroups: gnu.g++.help,comp.lang.c++
Subject: comp.lang.c++