tower@AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (11/16/90)

   Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 07:32:46 CST
   From: robison@shell.com (Arch D. Robison)

   Please add me to the 'gnu.g++.help' mailing list.  My network address is:

	   robison@shell.com

   Arch D. Robison				(713)-663-2240
   Shell Development Company

gnu.g++.help is not a mailing list but a newsgroup.  It's gated with
the mailing list help-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu, which I assume is the
mailing list you wish to join.  One joins mailing lists by asking the
-request address for the list.  In this case
help-g++-request@prep.ai.mit.edu, which is Cc:ed above.

The address you used: gnu.g++.help@prep.ai.mit.edu is part of the
gateway implementation and is roughly eqivalent to
help-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu.

Your message has thus reached all the readers of the list, but not the
person who manages the list.  Note rlk's advice about all this, that I
have appended.

thanx -len

   Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1986  18:44 EST
   From: "Robert L. Krawitz" <RLK@oz.ai.mit.edu>
   To: info-nets@oz.ai.mit.edu
   Subject: Sending requests to the list at large and other administrivia

   Recently, a number of people have requested to be removed by sending
   mail to the list as a whole.  This is very bad practice.

   First of all, the address info-nets-request exists for that purpose.
   In fact, the -request convention is standard throughout the arpanet,
   to solve this problem.

   Secondly, sending mail to the list reaches at least 300 recipients,
   very likely more than that, since I have no idea how large the various
   redistribution lists are (there are perhaps 250 actual addresses on
   the top-level list).

   Thirdly, there is no reason why info-nets mail should go to the same
   addresses.  For all anyone knows, I don't read info-nets (in fact, I
   do; it would be poor practice not to), the mail goes to completely
   independent addresses (this is in fact true), or I may have written a
   program to automatically process requests (I haven't).  It is still
   more convenient to me to process requests to info-nets-request than to
   info-nets.

   So, please remember to post administrative requests to
   <list-name>-request rather than to <list name>; specifically
   info-nets-request rather than info-nets.

   I deliberately have not yet processed the requests that went to
   info-nets rather than to info-nets-request; I would like those people
   to read this message.

   Robert Krawitz
   info-nets-request