[gnu.g++.help] templates and exceptions in g++?

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) (11/13/90)

I am just curious - is anyone out there trying to add the template and
exception handling features (described as "experimental" in the Annotated
C++ Reference Manual) to g++? I believe the ANSI committee is trying to
standardize these features, but I don't know how much they have changed
since the base document was published.
domain: tahorsley@csd.harris.com       USMail: Tom Horsley
  uucp: ...!uunet!hcx1!tahorsley               511 Kingbird Circle
                                               Delray Beach, FL  33444
+==== Censorship is the only form of Obscenity ======================+
|     (Wait, I forgot government tobacco subsidies...)               |
+====================================================================+

jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck) (11/14/90)

In article <TOM.90Nov13072058@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com>, tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:
> I am just curious - is anyone out there trying to add the template and
> exception handling features (described as "experimental" in the Annotated
> C++ Reference Manual) to g++? I believe the ANSI committee is trying to
> standardize these features, but I don't know how much they have changed
> since the base document was published.

g++ (as of version 1.36) contains a slightly different exception handling
mechanism.  Last time I looked at it, it didn't quite work.

I suspect that you'll see further work once the ANSI committee gets more
aligned about how exceptions and templates will work, and lots of people
will have input.

--
Joe Buck
jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu	 {uunet,ucbvax}!galileo.berkeley.edu!jbuck

raeburn@athena.mit.edu (Ken Raeburn) (11/14/90)

In article <TOM.90Nov13072058@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com>, tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:
+I am just curious - is anyone out there trying to add the template and
+exception handling features (described as "experimental" in the Annotated
+C++ Reference Manual) to g++? I believe the ANSI committee is trying to
+standardize these features, but I don't know how much they have changed
+since the base document was published.

I will be doing some work to implement function and class templates in
g++ over the next couple of months.  This may include some extensions
beyond the description in the ARM.

tiemann@arkesden.eng.sun.com (Michael Tiemann) (11/15/90)

   Date: 13 Nov 90 12:20:58 GMT
   From: uflorida!travis!tom@uakari.primate.wisc.edu  (Tom Horsley)
   Sender: help-g++-request@prep.ai.mit.edu

   I am just curious - is anyone out there trying to add the template and
   exception handling features (described as "experimental" in the Annotated
   C++ Reference Manual) to g++? I believe the ANSI committee is trying to
   standardize these features, but I don't know how much they have changed
   since the base document was published.
   domain: tahorsley@csd.harris.com       USMail: Tom Horsley
     uucp: ...!uunet!hcx1!tahorsley               511 Kingbird Circle
						  Delray Beach, FL  33444
   +==== Censorship is the only form of Obscenity ======================+
   |     (Wait, I forgot government tobacco subsidies...)               |
   +====================================================================+

Cygnus Support is doing both.

Michael

rfg@NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) (11/16/90)

In article <39545@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck) writes:
+
+g++ (as of version 1.36) contains a slightly different exception handling
+mechanism.  Last time I looked at it, it didn't quite work.
+
+I suspect that you'll see further work once the ANSI committee gets more
+aligned about how exceptions and templates will work...

They just did.

--

// Ron Guilmette  -  C++ Entomologist
// Internet: rfg@ncd.com      uucp: ...uunet!lupine!rfg

jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) (11/17/90)

In article <TOM.90Nov13072058@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com> tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:

|I am just curious - is anyone out there trying to add the template and
|exception handling features (described as "experimental" in the Annotated
|C++ Reference Manual) to g++? I believe the ANSI committee is trying to
|standardize these features, but I don't know how much they have changed
|since the base document was published.

Not regards g++, but rather regards the standardization effort: templates
are now considered to be "in", exceptions are expected to be in,
but there are people arguing the merits of resumable
exceptions vs Bjarne's original proposal, so we don't know exactly
what those exceptions are going to look like yet.

In article <59137@microsoft.UUCP> jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) writes:
>but there are people arguing the merits of resumable
>exceptions vs Bjarne's original proposal, so we don't know exactly
>what those exceptions are going to look like yet.

Ah, don't you just love language design by committee?  Especially when the
committee throws out the "prior art" rule?  X3J11 showed commendable restraint
in what they did to C, but there are storm warnings out for C++...
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

rfg@NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) (11/19/90)

[...]

"Resumable" exceptions are now dead.