[gnu.g++.help] Anyone for decoupling GNU and c.l.c++?

tiemann@eng.sun.com (Michael Tiemann) (12/06/90)

There is a reason why the gnu.g++ and comp.lang.c++ newsgroups were
linked.  It was not, as Jim ADCOCK suggests, because one or the other
was not strong enough to stand on its own readership.  Rather, it was
because many people (a vast majority of those who voted) wanted to
share experiences and information between the two groups.  Here are
some examples where multiple inheritance (for newsgroups) is useful:

  1.  A naive G++ user has a question about overloading operator+.
      Should s/he ask in the g++ forum or the comp.lang.c++ forum?
      Usually the answer is unclear, so people cross-post.  As a
      matter of fact, one of the reasons that these groups were merged
      was because there was so much cross-posting going on.

  2.  An unspecified C++ user finds that cfront and g++ have different
      behavior for a complicated inheritance lattice.  Both results
      are unexpected (this has happened).  Where does s/he post?

  3.  A C++ expert has just released a cool, freely redistributable
      C++ interface to X/NeWS.  Where should the announcement go?

  4.  A bored graduate student hears about the above library, but
      doesn't know where to get it.  To which group should he pose his
      request for information?

The list goes on and on.  Everybody has their own quirks about what
they will and will not tolerate about people's postings.  Some people
get upset when they see postings about how clever they were at
painting themselves into a 640K address space.  Some people are
dismayed by other's blithe acceptance of UNIX.

If it absolutely ruins your day that somebody doesn't understand how
to overload operator+, how segmented architectures are really better
than large linear address spaces, or how Apple and Lotus are taking
away programmer's freedoms, I believe that there is a newsreading
service which, for a small fee, will delete these messages before you
have a chance to read them, and you need never know they were ever
written.

In the mean time, please don't ask to have everybody's service
disconnected because you don't like yours.

Michael

davis@barbes.ilog.fr (Harley Davis) (12/06/90)

In article <9012051730.AA14088@teacake.Eng.Sun.COM> tiemann@eng.sun.com (Michael Tiemann) writes:

   There is a reason why the gnu.g++ and comp.lang.c++ newsgroups were
   linked.  It was not, as Jim ADCOCK suggests, because one or the other
   was not strong enough to stand on its own readership.  Rather, it was
   because many people (a vast majority of those who voted) wanted to
   share experiences and information between the two groups.  Here are
   some examples where multiple inheritance (for newsgroups) is useful:

The problem is, it's not multiple inheritance --- gnu.g++.help is the
only superclass of comp.lang.c++.  Maybe multiple inheritance is the
answer, though: Institute comp.lang.cg++ which inherits from both
gnu.g++ and comp.lang.c++.  Then everyone would be happy.  Or
interested readers can simply subscribe to both, which is perhaps
easier.

 -- Harley

Harley Davis			internet: davis@ilog.fr
ILOG S.A.			uucp:  ..!mcvax!inria!ilog!davis
2 Avenue Gallie'ni, BP 85	tel:  (33 1) 46 63 66 66
94253 Gentilly Cedex
France

wolfgang@wsrcc.com (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (12/07/90)

Flames against Apple/Lotus/software-fascism have no place in
comp.lang.c++.  If someone wants to use the gnu lists for that
purpose, oh well.  It does decrease their signal to noise level
though.

Now please don't get me wrong.  I *do* agree with what RMS is saying.
I just wish he'd confine it to gnu.discuss.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    wolfgang@wsrcc.com (or) uunet!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524

muller@src.umd.edu (Christophe Muller) (12/08/90)

In article <DAVIS.90Dec6145442@barbes.ilog.fr> davis@barbes.ilog.fr (Harley Davis) writes:

>    Institute comp.lang.cg++ which inherits from both
>    gnu.g++ and comp.lang.c++.  Then everyone would be happy.

Comme on guys ! Give us a break with this story now..

If you don't want to read the messages that appear in gnu.g++, DON'T READ
THEM!

What about:

	(gnus-kill "Newsgroups" "gnu\\.g++\\.help")

to solve your problem? (But maybe you're not using gnus? :-)

Maybe some of you also don't want to read any article that have the words
"Free" or "FSF" or "Look-and-feel" in the title? Maybe that give them
buttons.. well it's also possible to kill these articles (see gnus.info).
I would however suggest that you read these articles, because it's going
to become very important in the future. It's going to decide what *we*
(the programmers) are doing, you'd better keep an eye on it! ;-)

Cheers,
Christophe.

            +===============================+
            |                               |
            |   ________        _______     |
            |   \       |      / ______     |
            |    \      |     / /           |
            |     \     L____/ /            |
            |      \__________/             |
            |                               |
            |                               |
            |  Ceci est encore moins une    |
            |  pipe que celle de Magritte!  |
            |                               |
            +===============================+

leech@homer.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (12/12/90)

In article <MULLER.90Dec7112929@molecule.src.umd.edu> muller@src.umd.edu (Christophe Muller) writes:
>Comme on guys ! Give us a break with this story now..
>
>If you don't want to read the messages that appear in gnu.g++, DON'T READ
>THEM!
>
>What about:
>
>	(gnus-kill "Newsgroups" "gnu\\.g++\\.help")

    What a good idea.  Let's follow up on it by merging all newsgroups
and using kill mechanisms to select what to read.

    Until we can do that, how about the much simpler mechanism of
keeping FSF political posturing out of comp.lang.c++ by disconnecting
the groups.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    "Opossums ran amok in Chapel Hill this weekend..."

don@zardoz.coral.com (Don Dewar) (12/14/90)

)
) In article <MULLER.90Dec7112929@molecule.src.umd.edu> muller@src.umd.edu (Christophe Muller) writes:
) >Comme on guys ! Give us a break with this story now..
) >
) >If you don't want to read the messages that appear in gnu.g++, DON'T READ
) >THEM!
) >
) >What about:
) >
) >	(gnus-kill "Newsgroups" "gnu\\.g++\\.help")
)
)     What a good idea.  Let's follow up on it by merging all newsgroups
) and using kill mechanisms to select what to read.
)
)     Until we can do that, how about the much simpler mechanism of
) keeping FSF political posturing out of comp.lang.c++ by disconnecting
) the groups.
) --
)     Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
)     "Opossums ran amok in Chapel Hill this weekend..."
) 	_The Daily Tar Heel_, 11/1/88
)
)

I must have missed something -- political posturing?  Either you are a
little too sensitive or I am not sensitive enough.  I haven't seen any
more political messages in the g++ mailing list than I have seen in
any other mailing list.  In fact, the amount of hard technical
information is far more prevalent in the g++/c++ mailing lists than
any other I am aware of.  In addition, some of the differences between
g++ and c++ adds a healthy and useful dimension to this mailing list
by giving different perspectives and implementations of C++.

  | Coral   |
  |@@*@@**@@|     Don Dewar
  |*@@**@@@@|     Coral Network Corporation, Marlborough, MA
  |@***@@@@@|     Internet: don@coral.com