[gnu.gcc.help] Porting GCC to a Callan Unistar 300... possible?

dburr@.berkeley.edu (Donald Burr) (03/01/91)

I would like to get GCC running on my Callan Unistar 300 box.  This is a
SysV R2 (I think) box that uses a MC68010 as the processor.  Is this
possible, and if so, what/how much hacking would I need to do in the GCC
code, and where?

Please E-MAIL all replies to: dburr@ocf.berkeley.edu.

Many thanks!
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_CompuServe:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

rfg@NCD.COM (Ron Guilmette) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar1.072541.6959@agate.berkeley.edu> dburr@.berkeley.edu (Donald Burr) writes:

>I would like to get GCC running on my Callan Unistar 300 box.  This is a
>SysV R2 (I think) box that uses a MC68010 as the processor.  Is this
>possible, and if so, what/how much hacking would I need to do in the GCC
>code, and where?

If you already have a C compiler on your Callan, and if it is not too
brain dammaged, you should be able to get GCC up pretty easily.

You will probably want to make up your own xm-callan.h and tm-callan.h
files in order to do this.  Fortunately, you will not have to start
from scratch.  Look at the tm-sun2.h file.  It is correct for a 68010
processor so you should be able to make up a tm-callan.h file by just
doing:

	tm-callan.h:
	#include "tm-sun2.h"

	/* ... overriding definitions go in here ... */

You may have to override a few of the definitions that get included
from the tm-sun2.h file, but it should not be too many.

One thing that I *know* you will have to override is the following:

	#undef DBX_DEBUGGING_INFO
	#define SDB_DEBUGGING_INFO

That's because your target system (i.e. Callan) uses System V.

For your xm-callan.h file you probably want to start from one of the
xm-*.h files that are used for System V hosts.  Any one of the xm-*.h files
that define the symbol `USG' will probably be a good starting point for
your new xm-callan.h file.  If you just do:

	cd config
	grep USG xm-*.h

You will see which of the existing xm-*.h files are already used with
System V based systems.  (Fortuanately, they are all almost identical
and they are all pretty short, so if you look at the contents of a few
of these files it should be obvious what your xm-callan.h file should
look like.

Once you get these two configuration files set up properly, you will need
to complete the "configuration" step by doing:

	ln config/xm-callan.h config.h
	ln config/tm-callan.h tm.h
	ln config/m68k.md md
	ln config/out-m68k.c aux-output.c

Then just type `make' and keep your fingers crossed.

--

// Ron Guilmette  -  C++ Entomologist
// Internet: rfg@ncd.com      uucp: ...uunet!lupine!rfg

jtc@motcad.portal.com (J.T. Conklin) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar1.072541.6959@agate.berkeley.edu> dburr@.berkeley.edu (Donald Burr) writes:
>I would like to get GCC running on my Callan Unistar 300 box.  This is a
>SysV R2 (I think) box that uses a MC68010 as the processor.  Is this
>possible, and if so, what/how much hacking would I need to do in the GCC
>code, and where?

I was able to port GCC to a old motorola 68k box with a wierd assembler
syntax in about a week.  The main problem seems to be having a compiler
that is "smart enough" to compile the first pass of GCC.

AT&T UNIX PC owners had a rough time getting gcc to compile, as the stock
compiler couldn't do it --- eventually someone got it to work and binary
copies were distributed.

If work at it, you should be able to port gcc to your callan.  If you
do get it to work, send your fixes into the FSF.  Not only does it make
it easier for you to port gcc when the next version comes out, but also
you get something widely distributed with your name on it. :-)

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin    jtc@motcad.portal.com, ...!portal!motcad!jtc