[comp.ai.philosophy] Intelligence in Science?

cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) (10/05/90)

In article <3549@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) writes:
> < (Point 2) I sometimes wonder how much our theories are not just
>recastings of our experience (without great insight). It has happened
>several times that physicists have found in the mathematics literature
>exactly the math they need to solve their physics problems. Whence
>came the mathematics? Was it not from abstractions of earlier physics
>problems (an historian of science should be able to prove or disprove
>this conjecture)?

  While I'm not a historian of science, I believe that the first
*recorded* use of mathematics was in account keeping, using cuneiform
notation to keep track of debts/payments.  The Babylonians developed
alot of math in the name of astrology and numerology - which are both
widespread to this day.  They were considered then as we consider
science now.  Thus rather than being abstractions of something as dry
as physics problems, they might be considered abstractions of
personal problems - from the individual to the political level.  For
another example, look at how the pythagoreans regarded their
mathematical achievements.

>Indeed, I have heard science historians argue that much of mathematics
>came from earlier physics theories.

Doubtful, I think.  The ancients regarded mathematics as mostly a
mental discipline which was learned through initiation into whatever
school the well-to-do man could find palatable.  One student at
Plato's academy (whose name I don't recall) was tossed out after
asking "what good geometry is"!  There were, as always, exceptions
to this rule.  Btw, I think many people still regard mathematics this
way today... :>

> But there is another possibility
>explained in an essay of mine --- "Communication with Alien
>Intelligence," in @i[Extraterrestrial: Science and Alien
>Intelligence,] (E. Regis, ed.) Cambridge University Press, 1985.  This
>is a cute theory based on some experiments with very small Turing
>machines.  It turned out that many of them performed operations that
>could be interpreted as elementary addition -- while none of them did
>anything that was "similar" to addition but not exactly addition!
>
>What that seems to mean is that the most elementary mathematics -- or,
>rather, the kinds that humans have historically first imagined -- hold
>a peculiar position among "all possible mathematical systems".  In a
>sense, they might simply be the ones that are "easiest for a machine
>to think of".

Do you mean "easiest for a human to think of"?  If they're so simple,
why has it taken us so long to develop them?  It wasn't until the
renaissance (sp?) that anyone really thought of modelling the world
in mathematical terms alone.  People must be indoctrinated for years
before the conventions of math and physics seem 'natural'.

>  Why, then, might they help in making physics theories?
>Either because the universe, too, is peculiarly simple -- whatever
>that means -- or that the simplest theories are (at least ,at first)
>the most useful ones -- simply because they are the first ones we can
>use to make any predictions at all...

This sounds somewhat too idealized to me.  The development of any kind
of theories historically have been largely done by adapting old ideas
and conventions, even where they are out of context (analogy).  This
implies more of a feedback mechanism of conception on conception than
a progression of theories corrected by regular reference to "the
universe" as you seem to be saying.  The former would be much more
haphazard and less 'logical' than than the second (and take much more
time and arguement), which seems to agree better with the actual
history of the sciences. :>  In other words, the way we look at the
world is perhaps more arbitrary than you think - although I cannot
produce any evidence to support this, not having a sufficiently
non-human perspective to refer to!
--
      Cameron Shelley        | "Armor, n.  The kind of clothing worn by a man
cpshelley@violet.waterloo.edu|  whose tailor is a blacksmith."

jjewett@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jim Jewett) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Oct4.175806.7711@watdragon.waterloo.edu>,
cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) writes:
|> In article <3549@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) writes:

|> > But there is another possibility
|> >explained in an essay of mine --- "Communication with Alien
|> >Intelligence," in @i[Extraterrestrial: Science and Alien
|> >Intelligence,] (E. Regis, ed.) Cambridge University Press, 1985.  This
|> >is a cute theory based on some experiments with very small Turing
|> >machines.  It turned out that many of them performed operations that
|> >could be interpreted as elementary addition -- while none of them did
|> >anything that was "similar" to addition but not exactly addition!

How do you define "similar" to?  Do you mean any associative property
with inverses and an identity?  Any accumlator?  It seems that there
will be no woman similar to Mom because we known Mom so well ... but
someone for whom she isn't the point of reference may very well see
her as similar to her sister.

And as addition is all that we know, and we know it so well, what precautions
did you take to prevent the conclusion from following directly from your
point of reference?

|> >What that seems to mean is that the most elementary mathematics -- or,
|> >rather, the kinds that humans have historically first imagined -- hold
|> >a peculiar position among "all possible mathematical systems".  In a
|> >sense, they might simply be the ones that are "easiest for a machine
|> >to think of".
|>
|> Do you mean "easiest for a human to think of"?  If they're so simple,
|> why has it taken us so long to develop them?  It wasn't until the
|> renaissance (sp?) that anyone really thought of modelling the world
|> in mathematical terms alone.  People must be indoctrinated for years
|> before the conventions of math and physics seem 'natural'.

But these thousands of years still produced the first results.  It took
even *longer* to develop alternatives, and will take longer still to
develop alternatives that we haven't come up with yet.  Simplest doesn't
mean simple, and the Universe has had some time to work.

|> >  Why, then, might they help in making physics theories?
|> >Either because the universe, too, is peculiarly simple -- whatever
|> >that means -- or that the simplest theories are (at least, at first)
|> >the most useful ones -- simply because they are the first ones we can
|> >use to make any predictions at all...
|>
|> This sounds somewhat too idealized to me.  The development of any kind
|> of theories historically have been largely done by adapting old ideas
|> and conventions, even where they are out of context (analogy).  This
|> implies more of a feedback mechanism of conception on conception than
|> a progression of theories corrected by regular reference to "the
|> universe" as you seem to be saying.  The former would be much more
|> haphazard and less 'logical' than than the second (and take much more
|> time and arguement), which seems to agree better with the actual
|> history of the sciences. :>  In other words, the way we look at the
|> world is perhaps more arbitrary than you think - although I cannot
|> produce any evidence to support this, not having a sufficiently
|> non-human perspective to refer to!

But what does it take to find the original state that we use as the basis
of an analogy?  It is easier to understand the front wheel of a tricycle
than of a car, because more of it is exposed.  And perhaps mathematics
is more "exposed" than the alternatives.

-jJ
jjewett@math.lsa.umich.edu       Take only memories.
Jewett@ub.cc.umich.edu           Leave not even footprints.

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Oct7.192212.24550@math.lsa.umich.edu> jjewett@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jim Jewett) writes:

>|> In article <3549@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
>minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) writes:

  >>(Minsky) ...in an essay of mine --- "Communication with Alien
   Intelligence," (is) a cute theory based on some experiments
   with very small Turing machines.  It turned out that many of them
   performed operations that could be interpreted as elementary
   addition -- while none of them did anything that was "similar" to
   addition but not exactly addition!

>How do you define "similar" to? Do you mean any associative property
>with inverses and an identity? ny accumlator?  It seems that there
>will be no woman similar to Mom because we known Mom so well ... but
>someone for whom she isn't the point of reference may very well see
>her as similar to her sister.

Consider reading the paper. By "similar" I meant commonsensical things
-- like could there be anything like the integers except skipping the
number 5?  Or could there be a number system with the symmetry laws
holding usually but not always.  Or integers with tree signs, instead
of two, etc.

cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct7.192212.24550@math.lsa.umich.edu> jjewett@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jim Jewett) writes:
>In article <1990Oct4.175806.7711@watdragon.waterloo.edu>,
>cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) writes:

>How do you define "similar" to?  Do you mean any associative property
>with inverses and an identity?  Any accumlator?  It seems that there
>will be no woman similar to Mom because we known Mom so well ... but
>someone for whom she isn't the point of reference may very well see
>her as similar to her sister.
>
>And as addition is all that we know, and we know it so well, what precautions
>did you take to prevent the conclusion from following directly from your
>point of reference?

>|> Do you mean "easiest for a human to think of"?  If they're so simple,
>|> why has it taken us so long to develop them?  It wasn't until the
>|> renaissance (sp?) that anyone really thought of modelling the world
>|> in mathematical terms alone.  People must be indoctrinated for years
>|> before the conventions of math and physics seem 'natural'.
>
>But these thousands of years still produced the first results.  It took
>even *longer* to develop alternatives, and will take longer still to
>develop alternatives that we haven't come up with yet.  Simplest doesn't
>mean simple, and the Universe has had some time to work.

  Yes, we have results.  But I suspect that our established "point of
reference" has effectively biased our view of history in this matter.
I would rather attribute the success of a particular alternative to a
more random process of precedence than some ill-defined (or
worse circularly defined) 'innateness'.  The success of one view, once
widely accepted has traditionally retarded other views from being
seriously examined, despite simlicity, expressiveness, and indeed
priority.  Our knowledge of what was actually going on in the Ancient
mathematical world has been written by the winners of the competition,
the views of the losers suppressed or just plain lost.  In other words,
there is more human psychology at work here than mere perception of
simplicity.

>|> This sounds somewhat too idealized to me.  The development of any kind
>|> of theories historically have been largely done by adapting old ideas
>|> and conventions, even where they are out of context (analogy).  This
>|> implies more of a feedback mechanism of conception on conception than
>|> a progression of theories corrected by regular reference to "the
>|> universe" as you seem to be saying.  The former would be much more
>|> haphazard and less 'logical' than than the second (and take much more
>|> time and arguement), which seems to agree better with the actual
>|> history of the sciences. :>  In other words, the way we look at the
>|> world is perhaps more arbitrary than you think - although I cannot
>|> produce any evidence to support this, not having a sufficiently
>|> non-human perspective to refer to!
>
>But what does it take to find the original state that we use as the basis
>of an analogy?  It is easier to understand the front wheel of a tricycle
>than of a car, because more of it is exposed.  And perhaps mathematics
>is more "exposed" than the alternatives.

  Perhaps, but to make that a definite assertion is begging the question.
Whatever really went on in history and prehistory is very obscure, and
that is not liable to change much.
--
      Cameron Shelley        | "Saw, n.  A trite popular saying, or proverb.
cpshelley@violet.waterloo.edu|  So called because it makes its way into a