[comp.ai.philosophy] Which Reasoning Paradigms?

osborn@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Any Approximations At All...) (10/11/90)

jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy) writes:

>We can make an analogy with the fact that we can write an interpreter
>for any good programming language in any another.  We can talk about
>logic in ordinary language, and we can formalize ordinary language and
>reasoning in logic.

If "grounding" is an oversimplified term, this paragraph is an overextended
analogy. Interpreters of _programming_ languages parse and map state
transition instructions of a well formed kind. However, "talking _about_
logic in an "ordinary" language" (generally) cloaks a sparse string of
symbols and transformation rules in concrete terms. Ie, to convey an
impression of what logic does, something is _added_ to it (however
imprecisely). But to formalise "ordinary" language in logic you throw
things away (context, imagination, physical referants, affects, ...).

Formalising reasoning in logic? Well, I'spose that's OK for formal reasoning
- so long as formal means explicit.  But how do I read "..ng language in
any another" as "..in any other" or "..in another". I've never seen that
mistake before, but I know J McC meant to make sense. [Post hoc excluded?]

Now, what am I talking about when I say I know that? I reasoned that way?

Cheers, Tomasso.

--
Tom Osborn,                        "Make everything as simple
School of Computing Sciences,                as possible, ...