[comp.ai.philosophy] Reasoning Paradigms

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) (10/06/90)

Recent postings (taking a slow detour from the original discussion of
"emergent properties") have raised the issue of what the paradigmatic
"reasoning" might be.  Minsky's postings have (not surprisingly) suggested
that rule-based, logico-mathematical, reasoning is the basis of all other
types of reasoning (or is perhaps the only true reasoning) -- Others have
suggested that there are more "natural" types of reasoning which cannot be
reduced to inferential logical reasoning (the example given was
in the realm of interpersonal decision-making).

Minsky, and others, have a lot bet on the idea that *all* mental processes
are ultimately (or fundamentally) calculative formal manipulations (though
we are of course not always aware that these underlying calculations are taking
place), thus formal operations ground *all* thought processes, and therefore,
all reasoning, regardless of whether any "reasoning" *seems* non-formal
(appearances can be deceiving).

This is Smolensky's chicken and egg problem: Does "hard," logical, rule-based
reasoning ground all reasoning, or does "soft," evaluative, inductive, rough,
pattern recognizing, fuzzy, kinds of reasoning ground all our thought
processes, including "hard" scientific thinking?  Or are they independent?
Smolensky suggests that soft reasoning grounds the hard, while Minsky (and
Fodor) appear to believe that hard thinking grounds any soft thinking.

I believe many people have a harder time seeing how rigid mathematical
thinking could ever be based upon something less rigid, than to
conceive of fuzzy reasoning being based upon more rigid underlying principles.
Of course, this does not make the easier path so.....

I would be interested in any succinct account of how it might be possible
for "natural," non-formal, processes (e.g., pattern recognition, or
reasoning by analogy, assuming them to be non-formal) to provide the basis
for supervenient formal thought.

--
james lee peterson				petersja@handel.cs.colostate.edu
dept. of computer science

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (10/06/90)

I am absolutely astounded at the statement by
petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu to that:

> Minsky's postings have (not surprisingly) suggested
> that rule-based, logico-mathematical, reasoning is the
> basis of all other types of reasoning
> (or is perhaps the only true reasoning).

I hope that no one in net-world will believe that I ever said or
maintained anything of the sort.  Most of my published work attacks
this idea.  "The Society of Mind" scarecly mentions logic and rule
based reasoning at all, save to place it as among the forms of
reasoning used occasionally by people over the age of about 10.

Instead, I have maintained from the early 1960s that most thinking
uses various forms of pattern-matching and analogy.  So I am annoyed
at such pseudo-quotes as

> Minsky, and others, have a lot bet on the idea that *all* mental
processes are ultimately (or fundamentally) calculative formal
manipulations (though we are of course not always aware that these
underlying calculations are taking place), thus formal operations
ground *all* thought processes, and therefore, all reasoning,
regardless of whether any "reasoning" *seems* non-formal (appearances
can be deceiving).

But maybe it is not so strange, come to think of it, that james lee
peterson could find such things in "Minsky's postings".  You can
verify, by running back through the files, that I have said nothing of
the sort.  However, we could explain this by assuming that Peterson
was thinking, by analogy, that because he has heard somewhere that I
am a "hard AI" teacher, therefore, I must hold such positions -- and
hence, must have said such things.

Sorry to waste your time by wordy self-defense, but I'd really like
people to read "Society of Mind" and not assume that they can guess what is
in it on the basis of hostile stereotype.

loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) (10/06/90)

In article <3586@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) writes:

>I am absolutely astounded at the statement by
>petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu to that:
>
>> Minsky's postings have (not surprisingly) suggested
>> that rule-based, logico-mathematical, reasoning is the
>> basis of all other types of reasoning
>> (or is perhaps the only true reasoning).
>
>I hope that no one in net-world will believe that I ever said or
>maintained anything of the sort.  Most of my published work attacks
>this idea.  "The Society of Mind" scarecly mentions logic and rule
>based reasoning at all, save to place it as among the forms of
>reasoning used occasionally by people over the age of about 10.
>
>Instead, I have maintained from the early 1960s that most thinking
>uses various forms of pattern-matching and analogy...

	So Marvin Minsky himself has shown up on Internet. I would
like to say that I myself have read "Society of Mind" and I think that
it is a very interesting proposal on how thinking works, if nothing
else. He is probably correct about pattern matching and analogy being
a major form of reasoning. But I wonder how much of our reasoning
works by what might best be called "fuzzy logic" -- a logic in which
predicates can not only have the values "true" or "false", but any
value in between. That may well describe how we reason about uncertain
things. Traditional logic presupposes a discreteness that is often
lacking in the world around us. Any comments?

	I somehow suspect, however, that certain of Minsky's work may
be taken as going in the opposite direction from what he has proposed
in "Society of Mind". I mention, in particular, his work with Seymour
Papert published in "Perceptrons", published in the late 1960's. At
that time, an early Neural Net architecture, the Perceptron, was a
very hot topic. The book showed that perceptrons with only one layer
of decision units between the inputs and the outputs were severely
limited in what they could "perceive" -- that they could only
distinguish inputs separated by a hyperplane in input space. This
problem could be circumvented by adding extra decision units in
between, what are now called "hidden layers", but there seemed to be
no way to train such a system. Thus, work on perceptron-like
pattern-recognition systems, which are now called Neural Nets,
languished for nearly two decades. Since that time, variations on the
original perceptron architecture have been discovered, variations that
allow straightforward training, with the backpropagation algorithm,
for example.

	Over that last couple of years, interest in NN's has increased
explosively. I have read through a number of volumes of conference
papers of the theory and practice of NN's. I myself have gotten into
work with NN's; I am currently involved in a project to design
hardware NN's here at LLNL. Part of this work has involved using NN's
to (1) analyze the spectra of plasmas produced in etching chips and
(2) construct a function to fit data on thin-film deposition as a
function of deposition conditions. In (1), we obtained the somewhat
obvious result that, to find the hydrogen content of etching-chamber
gas, one must look at hydrogen lines. But we found that the NN looked
at at least one CO line also, though it looked at no other lines. In
(2), we found that the NN agreed the data as well as a polynomial fit,
but we found that the NN outperformed the polynomial fits on data that
neither had been trained on. I have also used NN's to classify the
sources listed in the IRAS Faint Source Catalog; I found that they
fell into two categories, one of sources with little interstellar
reddening, and one of sources that are apparently heavily reddened.

	I feel that there is much more promise in NN's than in
traditional AI, which has been dependent on working out decision rules
explicitly. Perhaps the most successful application of traditional AI
has been computerized algebra, because that is one field where most of
the decision rules are known explicitly; many having been known
explicity for at least a couple centuries, as a matter of fact. For
NN's, however, the "decision rules" are all implicit in the parameter
values; a learning algorithm saves us the trouble of having to work
them out explicitly.

	I speak from personal experience, because when I first saw a
NN program in action, I was amazed to see that it could actually
recognize patterns, a long-time goal of AI that has seemed almost
perpetually beyond reach. Also, most AI systems have seemed formidably
complex, while NN's are so simple one wonders why the field has not
taken off earlier. Compared to a page or two of Fortran or C code for
an NN, most AI systems have given the appearance of being elaborate
and cumbersome software packages. Contrary to NN's, I have read a lot
about traditional AI systems, but I have never actually used one, with
the exception of some computer-algebra programs. Not that I do not
appreciate the development of computerized algebra; I think that that
is an important type of software. So that is why I have been working
on projects involving NN's lately.

	I wonder how Minsky himself would respond to the charges that
his work on perceptrons had set the field back for nearly two decades.
And I wonder how Minsky feels about NN's themselves.

	And I suspect that I will be flamed for my assertion that
computerized algebra has been about the only big success of
traditional AI techniques. I would certainly like to be told about
some counterexamples, though.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Loren Petrich, the Master Blaster: loren@sunlight.llnl.gov

Since this nodename is not widely known, you may have to try:

loren%sunlight.llnl.gov@star.stanford.edu

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (10/06/90)

I agree with most of what loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) said
in article 62.  The only problem I have is with his assertion

> I feel that there is much more promise in NN's than in traditional
> AI, which has been dependent on working out decision rules explicitly.

It is not an either-or thing, in my view.  NN's are strong in learning
to recognize (some) patterns in which something depends on many other
things in relatively weak dependencies.  NN's can represent such
relationships when they have good linear approximations -- but,
probably, only in those domains.  We don't know a lot about how to
characterize them.  But lots of human pattern recognition machinery
probably uses this.

On the other side, the PROCEDURES that can be represented in NN's are
very limited, certainly in the non-cyclic nets that dominate the work
of the 80s.  This means that, without a lot of external script-like
control, it will be hard for them to reason about what they have
recognized.  A careful re-reading of "Perceptrons" will show that
virtually all the negative results therein still hold for multi-layer
noncyclic networks -- especially theoriems like the AND-OR theorem
which show why an NN that recognizes parts may not be able to (learn
to) recognize when those parts have particular relationships, etc.

I could go on about this, but the point is this:

  1.  Yes: systems with compact rules with very few input terms are not
good at recognizing patterns which need many inputs.  So AI systems
restricted to compact rules must be supplemented by NN-like
structures.
  2.  No: the NN-like structures cannot replace the "reasoning
systems" of "traditional AI", unless we supply architectures that
embody those goal-oriented processes.  For example, "annealing" does
not replace all other kinds of intelligent heuristic search.

A tricky fallacy is to think, "Golly, I have now seen NN's solve a
hundred problems in the last five years that 'old AI' couldn't solve.
What's wrong with that is (i) you can look at it the other way: let's
see NNs learn to solve formal integration problems, or similar
problems that involve dissection of descriptions and (ii) many of
those problems NNs can solve can also be solved by other kinds of
analysis -- and, sometimes in ways that lend themselves to being
usable in OTHER situations.  In this sense, then, NN solutions, in
contrast, tend to be dead ends, simply because what you end
up with, after your 100,000 steps of hill-climbing, is an opaque
vector of coefficients.  You have solved the prob lem, all right.  You
have even _learned_ the solution!  But you don't end up with anything
you can THINK about!

Is that bad?  Your locomotion system "learns" to walk, all right.  (It
begins with an architecture of NN's that wonderfully work to adjust
your reflexes.)  But "you" don't know anything of how it's done.  Even
Professors of Locomotion Science are still working out theories about
such things.

So may you can make a pretty good dog with NNs.  And note that I put
NNs in the plural!  A dog, or a human, learns by using a brain that
consists of (I estimate) some 400 clearly distinctly different NN
architectures and perhaps 3000 distinct busses or bundles of
specialized interconnections.  What does that mean?

Answer: some of the job is done by NNs.  And some of the job is done
by compactly-describable procedural specifications.  Where is the
"traditional, symbolic, AI in the brain"?  The answer seems to have
escaped almost everyone on both sides of this great and spurious
controversy!  The 'traditional AI' lies in the genetic specifications
of those functional interconnections: the bus layout of the relations
between the low-level networks.  A large, perhaps messy software is
there before your eyes, hiding in the gross anatomy.  Some 3000
"rules" about which sub-NN's should do what, and under which
conditions, as dictated by the results of computations done in other
NNs (see the idea of "B-brain" in my book).

Someone might object that this may be an accident.  In a few years,
perhaps, someone will find a new learning algorithm through which a
single, homogeneous NN (highly cyclic, of course) can start from
nothing and learn to become very smart, without any of that
higher-level stuff encoded into its anatomy -- and all in some
reasonable amount of time.  That is the question, and I see no reason
to think that present-day results are very encouraging.

-----

Here is a simple, if abstract, example of what I mean.  Consider one
of the most powerful ideas in traditional AI -- the concept of
acheiving a goal by detecting differences between the present
situation ("what you have") and a target situation ("what you want").
The Newell and Simon 'GPS' system did such things (and worked in many
cases, but not all) by trying various experiments and comparing the
results, and then applying strategies designed (or learned) for
'reducing' those differences.

In order to do this, common sense would suggest, you need resources
for storing away the various recent results, and then pulling them out
for comparisons.  This is easily done with the equivalent of
registers, or short-term memories -- and it seems -- from a behavioral
viewpoint -- that human brains are equipped with modest numbers of such
structures.  Now, in fact, no one knows the physiology of this.  In
"Society of Mind" I conjecture that many of our brain NN's are
especially equipped with what I call "temporary K-lines" or "pronomes"
that are used for such purposes.  (Their activities are controlled by
other NN's that somehow learn new control-scripts for managing those
short-term memories.)

Well, if you design NNs with such facilities, then it will not be very
hard to get them to solve symbolic, analytic problems.  If you don't
provide them with that sort of hardware, everything will get too
muddled, and (I predict) they'll "never" get very far.  It will be
like trying to teach your dog to do calculus.  An alternative will be
to design a fiendishly clever pre-training scheme which "teaches" your
NN, first, to build inside itself some registers.  This might indeed
be feasible, with a homogeneous NN, under certain conditions.  But it
wouldn't be exactly a refutation of what I said before, because it
would involve, not the NN itself "discovering" an adequate
architecture, but an external teacher's deliberately imposing that
architecture on the NNs future development.  (Even this is not
all-or-none, because there is clearly some such trade-off in human
development which, according to all accounts, will fail in the absence
of any attentive adult caretaker.

Oh well.

----------

In any case, I want to thank Loren for endless thoughtful observations
about many other topics.  I intend to think more about what he said here.

dave@cogsci.indiana.edu (David Chalmers) (10/06/90)

In article <3593@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) writes:

>In this sense, then, NN solutions, in
>contrast, tend to be dead ends, simply because what you end
>up with, after your 100,000 steps of hill-climbing, is an opaque
>vector of coefficients.  You have solved the prob lem, all right.  You
>have even _learned_ the solution!  But you don't end up with anything
>you can THINK about!

>Is that bad?  Your locomotion system "learns" to walk, all right.  (It
>begins with an architecture of NN's that wonderfully work to adjust
>your reflexes.)  But "you" don't know anything of how it's done.  Even
>Professors of Locomotion Science are still working out theories about
>such things.

I hear this kind of thing said often enough, but I don't buy it.  Sure,
producing a computational system that does something doesn't immediately
*explain* how something is done, but it certainly makes explanation a lot
easier.  The "brains are right in front of us, but we still don't understand
them" argument doesn't really hold water.  Most of the problems with
brains are problems of *access* -- they're nasty and gooey and people tend
to complain if you poke around and cut them up too much.  Current neuroscience
is mostly constrained by technological limitations.  To see this, witness
the huge flurry of activity that takes place whenever a new tool for brain
investigation -- PET scanning, for instance -- is devised.

Whereas if we produce an equivalent computational system, all those problems
of access are gone.  We have the system right in front of us, we can poke
around its insides and make complex observations to our heart's content.
We can perform fast and easy simulations of its function in all kinds of
environments.  We can lesion this, monitor that, investigate the
consequences of all manner of counterfactual situations -- all without
running into trouble with blood and goo or ethics committees.

If the Professors of Locomotion Science had a perfect computational model of
the locomotive system in front of them, you can bet that progress in the
area would proceed one hundred times faster.  If I had "the program" of the
brain stored in a file on my Sun workstation, within five years cognitive
science would be completely transformed.  We probably wouldn't understand
*everything* about language and learning and memory, but we would understand
a hell of a lot more than we do now.

So, a computational model of a system is not equivalent to an explanation
of the system.  But once you have the model, an explanation may not be
far away.

--
Dave Chalmers     (dave@cogsci.indiana.edu)
Concepts and Cognition, Indiana University.

"It is not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable."

loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) (10/06/90)

In article <3593@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) writes:

>I agree with most of what loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) said
>in article 62.  The only problem I have is with his assertion
>
>> I feel that there is much more promise in NN's than in traditional
>> AI, which has been dependent on working out decision rules explicitly.

	You're right. I goofed. I concede that there are things that
traditional AI techniques can do better than most NN's. I doubt that
NN's will ever pose much competition in fields like computer algebra,
where most of the inference rules are straightforward and unambiguous,
and have been well understood for a long time.

	There are other difficulties with NN's, at least at the
present time. For instance, NN's are generally constructed around data
structures that are linear and whose lengths are fixed. This is OK for
a wide range of problems, but there are difficulties for representing
data structures whose length may vary, and even which are nonlinear,
an example being a treelike one. There are tricks I have seen for
getting around that, but even there, a NN will probably have to be
"managed" by some outside system.

	But my point was, why attempt to painstakingly work out
hundreds of complicated and imprecise inference rules when the whole
job can be done automatically?

>  1.  Yes: systems with compact rules with very few input terms are not
>good at recognizing patterns which need many inputs.  So AI systems
>restricted to compact rules must be supplemented by NN-like
>structures.
>  2.  No: the NN-like structures cannot replace the "reasoning
>systems" of "traditional AI", unless we supply architectures that
>embody those goal-oriented processes.  For example, "annealing" does
>not replace all other kinds of intelligent heuristic search.

	I agree.

> ... In this sense, then, NN solutions, in
>contrast, tend to be dead ends, simply because what you end
>up with, after your 100,000 steps of hill-climbing, is an opaque
>vector of coefficients.  You have solved the prob lem, all right.  You
>have even _learned_ the solution!  But you don't end up with anything
>you can THINK about!

	I understand your point. However, my colleagues and I have
occasionally been able to interpret the weight values produced by
NN's. One project we did was to evaluate spectra produced in etching
chips. By examining them, we hoped to train a NN to determine how much
hydrogen was in the etching chamber. We discovered that the weights
were largest in some small regions of the spectrum. These corresponded
to lines of H and one of CO, a reaction product. It was surprising to
us that the NN might have been using a CO line as a diagnostic for the
amount of hydrogen.

	An improved version might be set up to look only at H and CO
lines, given what the first one ended up focusing on.

	I think that the difficulty of not learning too much about
what one wants to recognize is far from fatal in practice, however
desirable in theory may be.

>Here is a simple, if abstract, example of what I mean.  Consider one
>of the most powerful ideas in traditional AI -- the concept of
>acheiving a goal by detecting differences between the present
>situation ("what you have") and a target situation ("what you want").
>The Newell and Simon 'GPS' system did such things (and worked in many
>cases, but not all) by trying various experiments and comparing the
>results, and then applying strategies designed (or learned) for
>'reducing' those differences.

	I see the point. It seems to me very difficult to imagine how
to get a NN to do something like that.

>In any case, I want to thank Loren for endless thoughtful observations
>about many other topics.  I intend to think more about what he said here.

	Thank you.

	I have been interested in AI and I have become rather
disappointed at its slow rate of progress over the years. However, it
is good to know that now we can make progress somewhere.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (10/07/90)

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) writes:

>Is that bad?  Your locomotion system "learns" to walk, all right.  (It
>begins with an architecture of NN's that wonderfully work to adjust
>your reflexes.)

      It is not clear that walking has to be learned.  The fact that
horses can stand within an hour of birth and run with the herd within
a day suggests otherwise.  The human developmental sequence may be
misleading here, humans being born in a less complete state than some
of the lower mammals.

>So may you can make a pretty good dog with NNs.

      In our present state of ignorance, we would have difficulty making
a good ant with NNs.  The work of Rod Brooks and Patty Maes at MIT
shows that some simple locomotion problems can be dealt with in that way,
but full ant functionality has not been achieved.  Beer, Chiel, and
Sterling at CWRU are further along toward full insect functionality,
and, interestingly enough, their model of neural net components
resembles more closely the observed biological data, rather than
following the connectionist backward propagation approach.

     If you believe Sir John Eccles, all the mammals have roughly
the same brain architecture and the differences between the various
mammmals are quantitative, not qualitative.  Dissection, DNA distance,
and the evolutionary timetable all point in that direction.  So if we
can make it to dog-level AI, we should be almost there.  But we aren't
even close.

					John Nagle

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (10/07/90)

In article <21054@well.sf.ca.us> nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) writes:
>minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) writes:
>
>>Is that bad?  Your locomotion system "learns" to walk, all right.  (It
>>begins with an architecture of NN's that wonderfully work to adjust
>>your reflexes.)
>
>      It is not clear that walking has to be learned.  The fact that
>horses can stand within an hour of birth and run with the herd within
>a day suggests otherwise.  The human developmental sequence may be
>misleading here, humans being born in a less complete state than some
>of the lower mammals.

I agree.  That's why I said "learned" instead of learned.  But the
point is that there remains a powerful "tuning-up" process that takes
only a modest number of minutes to get close and only a few hours to
get pretty good.  But my point -- and Nagle's, too -- is that we're
born with pretty much the right network, in which the relevant inputs
are genetically brought close to where they need to be, so that the
naimal does not have to explore a huge space and be in danger of
getting trapped in bad, but locally optimal, configurations.

>     If you believe Sir John Eccles, all the mammals have roughly
>the same brain architecture and the differences between the various
>mammmals are quantitative, not qualitative.  Dissection, DNA distance,
>and the evolutionary timetable all point in that direction.  So if we
>can make it to dog-level AI, we should be almost there.  But we aren't
>even close.

Probably not.  We'll probably discover a small number of small but
qualitatively critical differences, e.g., in the organization of
short-term memories, maintanence of small but important sub-goal
trees, and a few other sorts of AI-type resources.  Yes, comparative
anatomists will continue to say that these differences are small.  But
as we all know,  10 is almost 11, and 11 is almost 12, etc.

What I mean is that Eccles is surely right, in that our huge forebrain
doesn't seem very different from earlier, smaller forebrains.  But
I'll bet he'll turn out wrong on some small-scale functional level.
Something probably happened 5 million years ago to make all that
additional machinery useful -- instead of a handicap.  Some small but
ciritical change on the "management" level.

rolandi@sparc9.hri.com (Walter Rolandi) (10/07/90)

In article <21054@well.sf.ca.us>, nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) writes:
> minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) writes:
>
> >So may you can make a pretty good dog with NNs.
>
>      If you believe Sir John Eccles, all the mammals have roughly
> the same brain architecture and the differences between the various
> mammmals are quantitative, not qualitative.  Dissection, DNA distance,
> and the evolutionary timetable all point in that direction.  So if we
> can make it to dog-level AI, we should be almost there.  But we aren't
> even close.
>
> 					John Nagle

I too was surprized at this statement.  It is astounding how little AI
people seem to know about biological learning.  One can establish a
generalized same-different discrimination in a dog in at most, a few
weeks.  I don't see this happening anytime soon with machines.

You know what you AI philosophers should do?  Go out and buy yourself
a puppy.  Get yourself a good book on dog training (best ever written
was by a guy named Daniel Tortora) and personally put your dog through
obedience training---never using any punishment or negative reinforcement.
You will learn a great deal about learning in the course of discovering
how little you know.

                            Walter G. Rolandi
                          Horizon Research, Inc.
                             1432 Main Street
                         Waltham, MA  02154  USA
                              (617) 466 8367

                             rolandi@hri.com

jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy) (10/08/90)

Peters writes

"This is Smolensky's chicken and egg problem: Does "hard," logical,
rule-based reasoning ground all reasoning, or does "soft," evaluative,
inductive, rough, pattern recognizing, fuzzy, kinds of reasoning
ground all our thought processes, including "hard" scientific
thinking?  Or are they independent?  Smolensky suggests that soft
reasoning grounds the hard, while Minsky (and Fodor) appear to believe
that hard thinking grounds any soft thinking."

Minsky will doubtless tell you that logic isn't what he is
enthusiastic about, whereas I am an enthusiast for logic.  However, I
wouldn't claim that logic "grounds" all reasoning, because I think
grounding is an oversimplified notion.  The human ability to do logic
developed from and still uses processes that can be called reasoning
but don't correspond to logic.  These processes are inaccurate in
unnecessary and inconvenient ways.  These inaccurate human processes did
form a desire to develop accurate reasoning processes, i.e. logic.  As
a branch of mathematics, logic is grounded in formal semantics as
Tarski and others have described, i.e.  it has been made independent
of the thought processes that motivated its development.  For full AI,
mathematical logic needs supplements such as formalized nonmonotonic
reasoning and probably formalized contexts, but these aren't
reversions to ordinary soft thinking.

We can make an analogy with the fact that we can write an interpreter
for any good programming language in any another.  We can talk about
logic in ordinary language, and we can formalize ordinary language and
reasoning in logic.

csma@lifia.imag.fr (Ch. de Sainte Marie) (10/09/90)

In article <69347@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) writes:
> [...]
>a major form of reasoning. But I wonder how much of our reasoning
>works by what might best be called "fuzzy logic" -- a logic in which
>predicates can not only have the values "true" or "false", but any
>value in between. That may well describe how we reason about uncertain
>things. Traditional logic presupposes a discreteness that is often
>lacking in the world around us. Any comments?

It seems to me that reasonning is, to a great extent, about making
choices; fuzzy logic is all about avoiding choices as long as possible.
So, fuzzy logic does not seem like the best tool for rational thinking.

I agree (just because it would'nt change the condition if I did'nt :-)
that factual knowledge about the world around us most often lacks
discreteness, but I propose (and I suppose as a working hypothesis)
that a prerequisite to reasonning is forcing discreteness on reluctant data.

In hypothetico-deductive reasonning, you don't use fuzzy logic (I, for
one, don't: I could'nt possibly, I don't even know what it is):
you examine what would be the outcome, should this or that be true (or
false).

It seems to me that when one reasons in face of
uncertainty, one proceeds in a similar way: choose some facts to be
true, others to be false, and throw out the rest as irrelevant; then,
use the newly `certain' facts to reason. The criterion by which one selects
which facts to use, and which to reject, can be (in facts, is most
probably) probabilist to an extent, but the logic does not seem to be the
least fuzzy.  One can eventually have to change what one chose to believe,
but it can only be when faced with more information, and then one just
begins all the process anew.
The argument is introspective, and thus suspect, but I could'nt think of a
better (short) one at this time of day...

Well, it's all a bit simplistic (and I'm a bit clumsy after a long day
working, and so are my comments -but not my position, which is very
clear. To me:-), but it seems essentially sound to me;
so, I'll stick with good ol' bivalued (or trivalued) logic.

Or does somebody have a good argument against that position?
--
Ch. de Sainte Marie - LIFIA - 40, av. Felix Viallet - 38031 Grenoble - FRANCE
csma@lifia.imag.fr

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (10/09/90)

In article <69377@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) writes:
>In article <3593@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) writes:
>	There are other difficulties with NN's, at least at the
>present time. For instance, NN's are generally constructed around data
>structures that are linear and whose lengths are fixed. This is OK for
>a wide range of problems, but there are difficulties for representing
>data structures whose length may vary, and even which are nonlinear,
>an example being a treelike one.

I suspect that this is more an indication of the relative immaturity of NN
technology, since human brains seem to be able to deal with non-linear,
variable-sized data structures reasonably well. [e.g. human language].
I have no more idea than you what the solution is in NN technology, but I
suspect it will be found.

>>  2.  No: the NN-like structures cannot replace the "reasoning
>>systems" of "traditional AI", unless we supply architectures that
>>embody those goal-oriented processes.  For example, "annealing" does
>>not replace all other kinds of intelligent heuristic search.

>	I agree.

Except that, again, I suspect many of the current limitations in NN's will
disappear with time.  Certainly any useful heuristic technique which humans
are capable of can be implemented in NN's.  So unless current AI software
is using non-human heuristics, there is no long-term barrier to NN's replacing
traditional AI in this area also.  [And even if non-human heuristics are being
used it may be that the human ones are in some sense better any way].

The main reason I see for continuing to use traditional AI techniques is the
question of efficiency.  For certain classes of heuristics and decision
processes traditional programming may produce a faster and/or cheaper
implementation.

>	I understand your point. However, my colleagues and I have
>occasionally been able to interpret the weight values produced by
>NN's. One project we did was to evaluate spectra produced in etching
>chips. By examining them, we hoped to train a NN to determine how much
>hydrogen was in the etching chamber. We discovered that the weights
>were largest in some small regions of the spectrum. These corresponded
>to lines of H and one of CO, a reaction product. It was surprising to
>us that the NN might have been using a CO line as a diagnostic for the
>amount of hydrogen.

Good example.  I suspect this type of result may prove to be common.  One
avenue towards more advanced AI systems might be to try to automate this
process of meaning extraction from the NN weight values.  If we xould do
this we would have gone a long way towards developing a self-learning system.
It would also provide a solid basis for conceptual analysis.

>>Here is a simple, if abstract, example of what I mean.  Consider one
>>of the most powerful ideas in traditional AI -- the concept of
>>acheiving a goal by detecting differences between the present
>>situation ("what you have") and a target situation ("what you want").
>>The Newell and Simon 'GPS' system did such things (and worked in many
>>cases, but not all) by trying various experiments and comparing the
>>results, and then applying strategies designed (or learned) for
>>'reducing' those differences.
>
>	I see the point. It seems to me very difficult to imagine how
>to get a NN to do something like that.

Perhaps so.  But again this seems to be fairly close to how humans approach
difficult goals without an obvious solution.  And since the human brain is,
by definition, an NN this consititutes an existance proof for a way of
solving this problem in NN's.  [The only way to counter this is to provide
evidence from psychology that humans do not, in fact, ever solve problems
this way]

--
---------------
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)

sticklen@cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen) (10/09/90)

From article <JMC.90Oct8083235@Gang-of-Four.usenet>, by jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy):
> We can make an analogy with the fact that we can write an interpreter
> for any good programming language in any another.  We can talk about
> logic in ordinary language, and we can formalize ordinary language and
> reasoning in logic.

Although we can write an interpreter for any good programming language
in any other, the more salient obsevation is that certain operations
are more easily carried out in particular langauges. Eg, if I want to
maniupulate lists, I am a bit more likely to want to use LISP than
I am to want to use COBOL, although each is a general purpose language.

Even more central is the example that should I want to do a statistics
problem of some sort, I would be yet more likely to select SPSS
as my language of choice. The reason would seem clear - SPSS
gives me exactly the language I want to describe the statistics problem
at hand. The generalization of this line - ie, special purpose languages
allow easier represtatation of problem solving situations *they fit* -
leads in knowledge based systems to the Task Specific Arch schools that
have developed over the last decade. (Eg, Chandrasekaran, McDermott,
Steels, etc)

The bottom line may be that although we *could* represent problem solving
with general purpose tools, that it may be much easier to do with
a suite of techniques/tools each tuned for their particular problem
solving situations.

	---jon---

ghh@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Gilbert Harman) (10/09/90)

In article <JMC.90Oct8083235@Gang-of-Four.usenet>
jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy) writes:

[...]

It is important to distinguish the theory of implication
(logic) from the theory of what you have reasons to conclude
given the beliefs (and plans and goals) that you start with
(the theory of reasoning).  The theory of logic has nothing
special to say about what reasoning a person ought to do (or
is permitted to do).  Logical theory does not make use of
normative notions like "ought" or "permission".  Nor does
logical theory have a psychological subject matter.  So
logic is not about what to infer, if inference is a matter
of arriving at certain beliefs.

There are special deontic logics concerning the implications
of propositions about what someone ought to do and there are
special logics that concern the implications of propositions
about beliefs.  But these logics are themselves concerned
with implications of certain propositions and not with what
one should infer (i.e. believe) about these subjects.

It is clear, of course, that people reason about
implications.  People reason when doing logic.  But it is
(or should be) equally clear that the principles of logic
are not principles that people do or ought to follow in
their reasoning.  The principles of logic are simply not
about what conclusions can be reached under certain conditions.

Anyone tempted to suppose that there is a fairly direct
connection between logic and some sort of reasoning might
look at my discussion of this issue in CHANGE IN VIEW (MIT,
1986), chapters 1 and 2.

I think I'm agreeing with Minsky and disagreeing with
McCarthy.

--
		       Gilbert Harman
                       Princeton University Cognitive Science Laboratory

		       ghh@clarity.princeton.edu
		       HARMAN@PUCC.BITNET

jacob@latcs1.oz.au (Jacob L. Cybulski) (10/09/90)

From article <3586@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, by minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky):
>> Minsky's postings have (not surprisingly) suggested
>> that rule-based, logico-mathematical, reasoning is the
>> basis of all other types of reasoning
>
> I hope that no one in net-world will believe that I ever said or
> maintained anything of the sort.  Most of my published work attacks
> this idea.

To further this statement, here in Australia, Minsky is regarded as one of
the greatest "scruffies" of Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science,
as opposed to logico-oriented "neaties".

Jacob L. Cybulski

Amdahl Australian Intelligent Tools Program
Department of Computer Science
La Trobe University
Bundoora, Vic 3083, Australia

Phone: +613 479 1270
Fax:   +613 470 4915
Telex: AA 33143
EMail: jacob@latcs1.oz

jhess@orion.oac.uci.edu (James Hess) (10/09/90)

Let me take a first stab at James Peterson's question, which I will roughly
paraphrase as 'how can pattern recognition and similar fuzzy processes form
the basis for a formal symbolic reasoning system".

I suggest that this is a case of complexity, in a formal sense.  We do not have
one process or the other as a primitive in the mind out of which the other is
constructed and to which it is therefore reducible; both play a vital and
necessarily vital role.

For example, it seems awkward to reduce "you and I will go to the store, but
only if it is not raining" to pattern recognition, especially if we look at the
similarity between that sentance and "you and I will go to the store, but only
if it is not after ten o'clock".  How could pattern recognition devoid of
symbolic manipulation model the similarity of "after ten o'clock" and
"raining" in order to recognize that they both make sense in that context,
although one is an external physical phenomena and the other an abstract mental
construction?

On the other hand, how are we to recognize a new example of a chair?  If we
were to list the properties of a chair, in almost every case we could find a
chair that lacks one of them or a non-chair that possesses several or many of
them.  We cannot refer to a set of necessary and sufficient conditions.  We
may get caught in the trap of infinite regress if we try to specify all the
general rules and exception rules that define an object as a member of a class
A.  Do people really go through this list when they make classifications?  Or
is it a fuzzy, statistical pattern recognition process?  Melville went to some
length in the debate over whether a whale was a mammal or a fish.  The
perceptual and behavioral qualties are ambiguous; only later did a whale become
a mammal by fiat.

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) (10/09/90)

In article <JMC.90Oct8083235@Gang-of-Four.usenet> jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy) writes:

>grounding is an oversimplified notion.  The human ability to do logic
>developed from and still uses processes that can be called reasoning
>but don't correspond to logic.  These processes are inaccurate in
>unnecessary and inconvenient ways.  These inaccurate human processes did
>form a desire to develop accurate reasoning processes, i.e. logic.

What I am interested in is the nature of these "processes that can be called
reasoning but don't correspond to logic" -- When you say "don't correspond"
are you implying that they are irreducible to logical reasoning (I suspect you
aren't)?  And these "inaccurate processes," are they actually instantiations
of formal rule manipulation at a lower level of description?  Put another
way, are they Turing computable?

>We can make an analogy with the fact that we can write an interpreter
>for any good programming language in any another.  We can talk about
>logic in ordinary language, and we can formalize ordinary language and
>reasoning in logic.

In "formalizing ordinary language" is there a residue that escapes
formalization?

--

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (10/09/90)

In article <11@tdatirv.UUCP> sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:

>..... And since the human brain is,
>by definition, an NN this consititutes an existance proof for a way of
>solving this problem in NN's.

This is a dangerous rhetorical trick.  Because in the usual context of
discussion, a "neural network" or NN is considered to be a relatively
homogeneous, uniform structure equipped with a relatively systematic
learning procedure.  The brain is at least 400 different architectures
interconnected in accord with genetic specifications that appear to
involve the order of at least 30,000 genes.

So the performance of brain-NNs does not constitute an existence proof
for ways to solve similar problems by homogeneous NNs.

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (10/09/90)

In article <JMC.90Oct8083235@Gang-of-Four.usenet> jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy) writes:
>Peters writes
>
>"This is Smolensky's chicken and egg problem: Does "hard," logical,
>rule-based reasoning ground all reasoning, or does "soft," evaluative,
>inductive, rough, pattern recognizing, fuzzy, kinds of reasoning
>ground all our thought processes, including "hard" scientific
>thinking?  Or are they independent?  Smolensky suggests that soft
>reasoning grounds the hard, while Minsky (and Fodor) appear to believe
>that hard thinking grounds any soft thinking."

If Minsky thinks this he is full of BS!  The basic components of fuzzy, soft
reasoning are wired into the very fabric of our brain - that is how neural
networks work! [And our brain is an NN par excellence].  At most the hard
and soft resoning systems in our minds are independent. But I see little
evidence for this, humans that have not recieved intensive training in logic
or other forms of hard reasoning seem totally incapable of it.  We are a poor
sample, since by virtue of being programmers we have all recieved much training
in hard logic.  [Often indirectly, through experimentation and playing, but
still training].
--
---------------

In article <27116E2C.11522@orion.oac.uci.edu> jhess@orion.oac.uci.edu (James Hess) writes:
>For example, it seems awkward to reduce "you and I will go to the store, but
>only if it is not raining" to pattern recognition, especially if we look at the
>similarity between that sentance and "you and I will go to the store, but only
>if it is not after ten o'clock".  How could pattern recognition devoid of
>symbolic manipulation model the similarity of "after ten o'clock" and
>"raining" in order to recognize that they both make sense in that context,
>although one is an external physical phenomena and the other an abstract mental
>construction?

Except that, as near as I can tell, the source of what we call 'symbols' or
'concepts' in the human brain is a sort of subliminal pattern recognition!
In the brain a 'symbol' or 'concept' is an association between a representation
and a set of patterns, where the association itself is based on a pattern of
co-occurance between the representation and its denotation.

The tendency to talk about time as if it were a place is apparently based on
the recognition of similarities (a pattern) between time and place.

---------------
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)

gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (10/09/90)

In <11@tdatirv.UUCP> sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:

<stuff deleted>

>I suspect that this is more an indication of the relative immaturity of NN
>technology, since human brains seem to be able to deal with non-linear,
>variable-sized data structures reasonably well. [e.g. human language].
>I have no more idea than you what the solution is in NN technology, but I
>suspect it will be found.

<more stuff deleted>

You seem to be starting from the point of view that NNs embody the way the
human brain works. Unless there have been some huge jumps in the understanding
of the human brain and it's functioning, no one knows if NNs are even close.

How the exact chemical composition of the brain affects the functioning of
the brain is unknown. Todays artificial NN cannot be assumed to capture this
accurately. To assume that future NN's will be able to is to assume that we
will be able to recreate the human brain via well defined functions (in the
Mathematical sense) which is not necessarily possible.

Dan
--
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu
UUCP: {bpa,cbmvax}!swatsun!gessel

jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy) (10/10/90)

   From: petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson)
   Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
   Date: 9 Oct 90 14:39:55 GMT
   Sender: news@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU

   In article <JMC.90Oct8083235@Gang-of-Four.usenet> jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy) writes:

   >grounding is an oversimplified notion.  The human ability to do logic
   >developed from and still uses processes that can be called reasoning
   >but don't correspond to logic.  These processes are inaccurate in
   >unnecessary and inconvenient ways.  These inaccurate human processes did
   >form a desire to develop accurate reasoning processes, i.e. logic.

   What I am interested in is the nature of these "processes that can be called
   reasoning but don't correspond to logic" -- When you say "don't correspond"
   are you implying that they are irreducible to logical reasoning (I suspect you
   aren't)?  And these "inaccurate processes," are they actually instantiations
   of formal rule manipulation at a lower level of description?  Put another
   way, are they Turing computable?

   >We can make an analogy with the fact that we can write an interpreter
   >for any good programming language in any another.  We can talk about
   >logic in ordinary language, and we can formalize ordinary language and
   >reasoning in logic.

   In "formalizing ordinary language" is there a residue that escapes
   formalization?

I don't understand human reasoning very well and neither (I think)
does anyone else.  However, there is no evidence that the basic
human reasoning processes correspond to what humans invented
(i.e. logic) in our attempt to get a more rational and explicit
reasoning process.  When we understand them better, I believe
human reasoning processes will be formalizable in logic at one
remove, e.g. there might be a formula

human-believes(person,p) &  human-believes(person,implies(p,q))
  & foo(person,p,q) =>  human-believes(person,q).

This asserts that humans do modus ponens with a qualification
expressed by  foo(person,p,q).

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (10/11/90)

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) writes:

>In article <11@tdatirv.UUCP> sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:

>>..... And since the human brain is,
>>by definition, an NN this consititutes an existance proof for a way of
>>solving this problem in NN's.

>This is a dangerous rhetorical trick.  Because in the usual context of
>discussion, a "neural network" or NN is considered to be a relatively
>homogeneous, uniform structure equipped with a relatively systematic
>learning procedure.  The brain is at least 400 different architectures
>interconnected in accord with genetic specifications that appear to
>involve the order of at least 30,000 genes.

     Yes.  See section 6.3 of "The Metaphorical Brain 2" (Arbib, M., 1989,
Wiley, ISBN 0-471-09853-1), where some wiring diagrams for parts of the
nervous system are given.  Some hard data in this area is starting to
come in.  The parts of the nervous system we understand consist of
functional units that do special-purpose processing, interconnected
in generally plausible ways from a control-theory perspective.  There
is clear higher-level hard-wired structure in the nervous system.  This
is not speculation; the experimental results are in.

     It's also worth bearing in mind that nothing like the backward-
propagation learning of the NN world has yet been discovered in biology.
The mechanism found so far look much more like collections of
adaptive controllers operating control loops.  However, it should
be noted that most of the neural structures actually understood are
either in very simple animals (like slugs) or very close to sensors
and actuators (as in tactile control), where one would expect
structures that work like adaptive feedback control systems.
The more abstract levels of brain processing are still weakly
understood.

     Personally, I favor the hypothesis that the higher levels of processing
are built out of roughly the same components as the lower levels.
In the absence of experimental data to the contrary, this is a
plausible assumption.  This leads one to consider some rather
different lines of approach than the more popular ones.  The various
artificial insect groups are proceeding in directions consistent
with this assumption.  How far it can be pushed remains to be seen.

					John Nagle

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (10/12/90)

In article <3642@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) writes:
>In article <11@tdatirv.UUCP> I write:
>>..... And since the human brain is,
>>by definition, an NN this consititutes an existance proof for a way of
>>solving this problem in NN's.

>This is a dangerous rhetorical trick.  Because in the usual context of
>discussion, a "neural network" or NN is considered to be a relatively
>homogeneous, uniform structure equipped with a relatively systematic
>learning procedure.  The brain is at least 400 different architectures
>interconnected in accord with genetic specifications that appear to
>involve the order of at least 30,000 genes.

Okay, I will back off a little here. Not having followed the NN literature
I was unaware of how specialized the definition of NN had become.  I had
assumed the term was a general one for any parallel network of neuron-like
elements.  With the revised definition of NN, the human (=mammalian) brain
appears to be a three level compound NN (a network of networks of NN's).
In this model each functional column in the cerebral cortex would be an NN.
These are organized into architectural areas as a diffuse network.  Then
these areas are organized into a sparsely connected network using functional
principles.

>So the performance of brain-NNs does not constitute an existence proof
>for ways to solve similar problems by homogeneous NNs.

Quit true.  It does however consist of an existance proof for the use of
NN type technology to solve these problems. And if homogeneous NN's cannot
do the job a switch to a functional network of NN's very well might. [Indeed
a sufficiently general meta-network should be able to solve all of the
problems discussed previously]

My main point was that there is no reason to assume that complex networks
of neuron-like elements have any particular limitations, and that indeed we
have a counter-example to most proposed limitations.

By the way, given the rather specialized definition of NN, is there an accepted
term for a compound NN network?

--
---------------
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (10/12/90)

In article <22@tdatirv.UUCP> sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:

>given the rather specialized definition of NN, is there an accepted
>term for a compound NN network?

and he makes a number of points about the nervous system. As he
suggests, there is more homogeneity at smaller size scales, such as
that of cortical columns in the same functional region, than in the
gross anatomy of larger scales.

As for terminology, I don't think the NN-ers have a language for
compound architectures. And surely, without terms for such things,
it will be hard for them to get unmuddled.  In neurology, they talk
about the variety of "cytoarchitectures" in different parts of the
brain.  But in present-day NN jargon, the researchers generally assume
multi-layer perceptrons as the default architecture: that is,
stratified layers in which signals go only from input to output.

"The Society of Mind" proposes a few terms for describing compound
architectures.  Not a general, systematic, comprehensive langauge,
however, because I tailored them for my particular theory. (Besides, I
doubt that most NN people will want to adopt my terms because they
like to think of me as the enemy.)

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (10/13/90)

In article <A3FRYSG@cs.swarthmore.edu> gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) writes:

>You seem to be starting from the point of view that NNs embody the way the
>human brain works. Unless there have been some huge jumps in the understanding
>of the human brain and it's functioning, no one knows if NNs are even close.

I was operating on the assumption that NN's were originally concieved as
a sort of crude analog to the type of processing done by living things.
I also assumed that the limitations of current NN's are due to limitations
of technology and knowledge, not fundamental limitations of circuits.

>How the exact chemical composition of the brain affects the functioning of
>the brain is unknown. Todays artificial NN cannot be assumed to capture this
>accurately. To assume that future NN's will be able to is to assume that we
>will be able to recreate the human brain via well defined functions (in the
>Mathematical sense) which is not necessarily possible.

It is true there are many unknowns in neurobiology, but I do not see that
there is any reason to believe that neurons do anything that is not at
least amenable to aproximation using electronics.  Indeed, I suspect that
they do not even do anything that cannot be exactly duplicated.

But even more important, I suspect that the exact details of biological
neurobiology are irrelevant to making a general purpose responsive network
[such as NN's].  That is, the redundancy and intrinsic variability in neuron
response patterns make exact duplication unnecessary.  In basic operation
a neuron appears to be a complex combinatorial circuit.  It performs some
sorted of a generalized weighted 'sum' of an enormous number of inputs
(often several thousand), and distributes the resulting signal to a large
number destinations (again often in the thousands).  The summation is
probably quite different than the simple arithmetic sum used by current NN's,
and the weighting and threshold functions are probably more complex than
we currently imagine, but this is just a matter of technology and knowledge,
not metaphysics.
--
---------------
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)

petkau@herald.UUCP (Jeff Petkau) (10/14/90)

From article <21128@well.sf.ca.us>, by nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle):
>      It's also worth bearing in mind that nothing like the backward-
> propagation learning of the NN world has yet been discovered in biology.
> The mechanism found so far look much more like collections of
> adaptive controllers operating control loops.  However, it should
> be noted that most of the neural structures actually understood are
> either in very simple animals (like slugs) or very close to sensors
> and actuators (as in tactile control), where one would expect
> structures that work like adaptive feedback control systems.
> 					John Nagle

Not entirely true.  In "Memory Storage and Neural Systems" (Scientific
American, July 1989) Daniel Alkon describes how rabbit neurons change in
response to Pavlovian conditioning.  The basic mechanism is: if neuron
A fires and nearby neuron B happens to fire half a second later, a link
will gradually form such that the firing of B is triggered by the firing
of A, even in the abscence of whatever originally triggered B.  Although
this isn't quite the same as back-propogation, in simulated neural nets
it actually seems to work far better (learning times are greatly reduced),
and has the added advantage that knowledge of the final "goal" is not
required.  It also corresponds (in my mind at least) very closely to the
observed behaviour of living things (mostly my cat).

As a basic example of how such a net can be trained, I'll use a character
recognizer.  Start with a net with a grid of inputs for the pixel data and
a second set of inputs for, say, the ASCII code of the characters (obviously
ASCII isn't the best way to do it, but it keeps this post shorter).  You
also have a set of outputs for the network's guess.  You start by hardwiring
the network so that the ASCII inputs are wired directly to the ASCII outputs:
input hex 4C and you'll see hex 4C on the output.  Now, all you have to do
is continually present pictures of characters at the pixel input along with
their correct ASCII representations.  Thus, when the network sees a capital
L, it is forced to output a hex 4C.  It soon learns to apply the outputs
without benefit of the guiding input, and without the use of artificial
devices like back propogation.

[Sorry if this is old news in c.a.n-n, but it's getting a bit off topic
for c.a.p].

Jeff Petkau: petkau@skdad.USask.ca
Asterisks: ***********************

holt@auk.cs.athabascau.ca (Peter D Holt) (10/16/90)

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:

>I was operating on the assumption that NN's were originally concieved as
>a sort of crude analog to the type of processing done by living things.
>I also assumed that the limitations of current NN's are due to limitations
>of technology and knowledge, not fundamental limitations of circuits.

>It is true there are many unknowns in neurobiology, but I do not see that
>there is any reason to believe that neurons do anything that is not at
>least amenable to aproximation using electronics.  Indeed, I suspect that
>they do not even do anything that cannot be exactly duplicated.

>But even more important, I suspect that the exact details of biological
>neurobiology are irrelevant to making a general purpose responsive network
>[such as NN's].  That is, the redundancy and intrinsic variability in neuron
>response patterns make exact duplication unnecessary.  In basic operation
>a neuron appears to be a complex combinatorial circuit.  It performs some
>sorted of a generalized weighted 'sum' of an enormous number of inputs
>(often several thousand), and distributes the resulting signal to a large
>number destinations (again often in the thousands).  The summation is
>probably quite different than the simple arithmetic sum used by current NN's,
>and the weighting and threshold functions are probably more complex than
>we currently imagine, but this is just a matter of technology and knowledge,
>not metaphysics.
>--
>---------------
>uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)

The above is a very acceptable opinion. However, I think previously
you have mixed up your opinions with fact. Just because
the above is your opinion, it does not provide scientific support the contention
of your original posting that the human brain is an existence proof
that neural nets can do anything people can do.
Without defining neural net such a statement is vacuous.
If you define neural nets as what the brain has of course you are correct.
BUT we do not know how exactly how those function or more importantly
how they support all of cognition so we do not know if we can simulate
that support.  If you define neural networks in anyway approximating what
I have seen or read of current simulations (or their approximating
logical extensions) I suspect
that you are wrong. BUT I do not even have to prove that,
by any current standards of science it is up to you to
demonstrate that you are correct. Since you cannot do that
this would seem to imply that if there are any "metaphysics"
involved here it is that neural nets have become somewhat of
a religion for you. I do not mean to imply that synthetic
or simulated neural nets are not a very interesting technology,
nor that they do not have endearing attributes not found
not found in symbolic AI. Nor that they may
successfully models some aspects of human perception
and cognition, I just question the usefulness
of making claims for neural nets that are unsubstantiable.

pollack@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jordan B Pollack) (10/18/90)

Marvin Minsky has turned up the heat in this newsgroup, with the
folksy "lets not choose sides" attack on connectionism he offered in
PERCEPTRONS'88.  Since a few people have already argued these points
(or conceded to his authority!) I will collect most of the arguable
material in one place:

 1) He (again) chose non-recurrent backprop as a strawman
representative of the entire field. He also claimed that
 2) nothing useful could come out of the weights of a network, that
 3) the field is "muddled" on terminology for "compound"
architectures, and that
 4) the central goal of the field is to find a homogeneous NN to solve
the tabula-rasa-to-genius learning problem.

I briefly respond:

 1) the strawman can be ignored because he carefully hedged
the overgeneralization gambit (this time) with parenthetical
references to recurrent networks.
 2) several researchers have found classical algorithms
(principal components, hierarchal clustering) implemented in the
procedures of networks.(e.g. Cottrell, Granger)
 3) many researchers work on "architectures" composed of "modules"
without getting muddled,(e.g. Jacobs, Ballard)
 4) this is equivalent to accusing AI of having the goal of programming
just one genius program.

But most of this noise is still about the decades-old controversy
over the relative promise of the bottom-up and top-down approaches to
studying cognition. This promise can be assessed by seeing what sort of
corner your theory backs you into:

>>Where is the
>>"traditional, symbolic, AI in the brain"?  The answer seems to have
>>escaped almost everyone on both sides of this great and spurious
>>controversy!  The 'traditional AI' lies in the genetic specifications
>>of those functional interconnections: the bus layout of the relations
>>between the low-level networks.  A large, perhaps messy software is
>>there before your eyes, hiding in the gross anatomy.

I have to admit this is definitely a novel version of the homunculus
fallacy: If we can't find him in the brain, he must be in the DNA! Of
all the data and theories on cellular division and specialization and
on the wiring of neural pathways I have come across, none have
indicated that DNA is using means-ends analysis.

Certainly, connectionist models are very easy to decimate when offered
up as STRONG models of children learning language, of real brains, of
spin glasses, quantum calculators, or whatever.  That is why I view
them as working systems which just illuminate the representation and
search processes (and computational theories) which COULD arise in
natural systems.  There is plenty of evidence of convergence between
representations found in the brain and backprop or similar procedures
despite the lack of any strong hardware equivalence (Anderson,
Linsker); constrain the mapping task correctly, and local optimization
techniques will find quite similar solutions.

Furthermore, the representations and processes discovered by
connectionist models may have interesting scaling properties and can
be given plausible adaptive accounts.  On the other hand, I take it
as a weakness of a theory of intelligence, mind or language if, when
pressed to reveal its origin, shows me a homunculus, unbounded
nativism, or some evolutionary accident with the same probability of
occurrence as God. (Chomsky's corner).

So, the age-old question of conflicting promise can be rephrased as
follows, either being a valid philosophical approach to AI:

    Should we study search and representation as they occur in nature,
    or as algorithm and data-structure in artificial symbolic systems?

I choose the former, since nature seems to have solved many problems
which continue to haunt the not-so-young-anymore engineering field of AI.

--
Jordan Pollack                            Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research

danforth@riacs.edu (Douglas G. Danforth) (10/20/90)

In <JMC.90Oct8083235@Gang-of-Four.usenet> jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy) writes:

>As
>a branch of mathematics, logic is grounded in formal semantics as
>Tarski and others have described, i.e.  it has been made independent
>of the thought processes that motivated its development.

     If Dr. McCarthy means that logic is now a thought process that is
different from earlier less precise thought processes then I agree.
If, however, he means that logic is now independent of all thought
processes and that it somehow stands outside of "thought" and has
an existence (in some Platonic sense) of its own then I disagree.

     If all intelligent life ceased to exist then what becomes of logic?
Would it be the marks on pages of books fluttering in the wind of silent
planets? Logic exists in the "social sea" of living creatures.

--
Douglas G. Danforth   		    (danforth@riacs.edu)
Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science (RIACS)