[comp.ai.philosophy] What Has Traditional AI Accomplished?

zed@mdbs.uucp (Bill Smith) (10/28/90)

In article <70159@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) writes:
>In article <3740@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> minsky@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) writes:
>>	[that I should read _Perceptrons_...]
>
>	I guess some algorithm like back-propagation looks simple --
>after one discovers it. But it does seem easy to generalize the
>two-state output of the original perceptrons to a continuous-valued
>output, from which the back-prop algorithm readily follows from
>minimizing the quantity <|actual - calculated|>. I wonder if anyone
>had ever considered continuous-output perceptrons in the early days of
>the field.

Literally, this is a EE problem in the field of Signals and Systems.
You have a differential equation (possibly multivariate) that describes
the system.  Any EE will tell you that you want the system to be linear
because it simplifies life incredibly.

In the simplest case, it is well understood and a child of 2 can
understand the basic principles.  It can be made more and more complicated
by adding arithmetic, simultaneous exquations, linear algebra, differential
equations, complex mathematics, time delays, non-linear effects, ad
infinitum until the problem you started out to solve with has been
sufficiently impressed with your knowledge (or the MIP rating of your
computer if that fails :-) that is capitulates into the universal
equation:  x=1 (or x=0 as the case may be.)  If x=0 you had a trivial
problem that you should try to find out why it was so hard for you to
see from the start that it was trivial.  If x=1, you know know
something you didn't know before.  Extrapolate backwards through
your steps until you find out the answers to the original question.

In life there are *no* trivial problems, therefore, the answer to all problems
is x=1.   Now, you have to find out what is different between the problem
you have and x=1 so that you can extrapolate backwards.  This is pure
philosophy.  I am glad you have asked your questions because now *I*
understand myself better than I did before.  This is the benefit of
answering other peoples problems: you solve 2 problems at the same time,
their problem and one of your own.  However, if you find out that they did
not want the answer to the problem they asked but instead the answer to some
other problem you will have 4 problems on your hand:  2 real and 2 imaginary.
The real problems are their original problem and the problem that you created
for yourself with your solution.  The imaginary problems are the one
that they asked and the one that you created by solving a problem in
yourself that did not exist to begin with.

Theses are the fundamental theorems of boolean arithemetic and complex
analysis:

	1 + 1 = 0 (boolean)
	i + 1 + -1 + -i = 0 (complex)

The whole of boolean arithmetic is that life's problems are real.
The whole of complex analysis is that imaginary problems are complex.

>Loren Petrich, the Master Blaster: loren@sunlight.llnl.gov
>
>Since this nodename is not widely known, you may have to try:
>
>loren%sunlight.llnl.gov@star.stanford.edu

Thank you Loren.  You have made me happy.

Bill Smith
pur-ee!mdbs!zed