[comp.ai.philosophy] Mind & the Trigger Effect

larryc@poe.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Carroll) (11/04/90)

A response to one of my messages in this forum likened consciousness to a
grain of sand.  It may affect the rest of the universe, but the effect is
vanishingly small.

Perhaps so.  We know so little about the form & function of the brain, & the
part that consciousness plays, that to discuss consciousness may be more of a
game than a serious effort.  Yet it FEELS important, & I've learned to trust
my intuitions.  Thus the following:
				   -----
A mind has been likened to a ghost in a machine.  A nice metaphor, but wrong.
It suggests that minds are somehow unreal, & that mind & body are two
separate things with little connection.  It's the result of 19th Century
thinking; 20th Century thought, informed by modern physics & cybernetics,
has another view.

Information is as important a physical reality as matter and energy.  In
fact, it might be considered more fundamental, since matter has been shown to
be a sort of "frozen" energy & energy a sort of "fluid" matter--the same
"substance" in two forms.  This is the message of E=mc**2.

Life arises when matter somehow takes a form that is self-repairing.
Evolution arises when life somehow becomes self-replicating, but imperfectly,
so that some life-forms are less able to repair themselves & die before they
can replicate, or are less able to replicate & fail in comparison to other
life-forms.  Life, then, is a particular kind of fourth-dimensional pattern.

Intelligence is a mechanism which gives some life-forms an advantage in
surviving.  It re-creates within the life-form a model of the universe, which
the life-form uses to try out actions that it might perform, & then acts
according to which actions help it.  Simulation is much safer than
experimentation, normally.

Science arises because simulations can fail.  A model can never perfectly
match reality, because the brain has limited capacity to store patterns & the
universe is more complex than the brain.  Further, the brain has to include a
model of itself within it, & a model of the model, & a model of the model of
the model, out to an infinite regress.  Thus intelligent life-forms must
experiment, in a pragmantic way or in the more organized & careful fashion
that is science.  The latter has been so successful that other
disciplines--logic, religion, economics--often also label themselves
sciences.

We know little of the basis of consciousness, & only a little of its
usefulness to a mind.  Perhaps it acts as a unifying influence on an organism
that is pulled in many different directions by conflicting needs & confused
by conflicting parts of its model of reality.

But it is real & part of the universe, & thus must affect the universe in
some fashion.  This affect can be small or quite large because of the
triggering effect.  Mind is not something separate from matter & energy.  It
IS matter & energy, just as the grooves on a phonograph record or the
magnetic domains of a computer program are real, just as real as the music
from a phonograph or the control of a spacecraft by its computer.  By this
triggering effect a whim & a whistle may destroy a city by causing an
avalanche.  By this effect hate & poison gas can destroy a culture, or love &
work can make a desert bloom & a people grow.  By this effect & advanced
science & technology someday we may be able to move planets & suns, all with
the small minds & dim awareness that we think the pinnacle of evolution.

Yet just as consciousness affects the universe, so can "external reality"
affect consciousness.  Drugs (CAREFULLY applied) or exhilarating exercise or
meditation can expand our consciousness & make us more creative & motivated.
Our brains can be expanded with prosthetics.  We already do this with mind
tools as simple as equations, & memory tools as simple as books.

Soon, we will be able to do it by direct neural connections with computers.
Eventually -- when we know enough about the form & function & uses of
consciousness -- those parts of us we now call computers will be enhanced so
that we can become immensely more aware.  And perhaps then God (or gods) will
come into existence -- though Satan (or demons) could just as easily result.
So what we discuss in this forum may be more important than a game or an
exercise or even a serious research undertaking.  It may ultimately connect
with that most unscientific discipline we call theology in an altogether real
way.
			Larry Carroll
			"Takes-us" (correct pronunciation of Texas)
			Dancin' Fool

csmith@cscs.UUCP (Craig E. Smith) (11/06/90)

In <10231@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> larryc@poe.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Carroll) writes:

>A mind has been likened to a ghost in a machine.  A nice metaphor, but wrong.
>It suggests that minds are somehow unreal, & that mind & body are two
>separate things with little connection.  It's the result of 19th Century
>thinking; 20th Century thought, informed by modern physics & cybernetics,
>has another view.

I see the difference between the brain, and the mind to be roughly
equivalent to the difference between a computer with the power turned
off, and a computer with the power on and the software loaded, or
more specifically the brain is the information processing device,
and the mind is the combination of the brain, the information it
contains, and the processing it does on the information.

>Information is as important a physical reality as matter and energy.  In
>fact, it might be considered more fundamental, since matter has been shown to
>be a sort of "frozen" energy & energy a sort of "fluid" matter--the same
>"substance" in two forms.  This is the message of E=mc**2.

Information is the only reality that can be known. There is truly nothing
that can be known or experienced which is not purely information, because
knowledge, and experiences themselves are nothing but the processing of
information in the brain based on signals sent by the senses of sight,
hearing, smell, taste, and feel. However, I am not sure I would consider
information to be a physical thing. In fact, information is such a basic,
and intrinsic part of thought that I find it difficult to come up with a
good non-circular definition of what is information. A definition itself
is information, and in trying to define what we mean by information
we are forced to define it in terms of itself. In a sense, I guess you
can look at information as physical, since the only manner in which it
manifests itself, is in a physical state of a particular object, such
as the internal state of a brain or computer, or the shape of certain
characters on a piece of paper, but all information ultimately is derived
from an interpretation of external events or objects by some specific
type of sensing device be it a part of a human or animal, or an electronic
device, and information ceases to be information when it is removed
from its supporting context.

>Life arises when matter somehow takes a form that is self-repairing.
>Evolution arises when life somehow becomes self-replicating, but imperfectly,
>so that some life-forms are less able to repair themselves & die before they
>can replicate, or are less able to replicate & fail in comparison to other
>life-forms.  Life, then, is a particular kind of fourth-dimensional pattern.

As I see it, life is primarily a prolonged and very complicated chemical
reaction, which spontaneously occurs under certain conditions, and
which is, with some random variations, perpetual, provided that the
necessary physical conditions, and energy inputs remain within certain
specifications. Evolution is the (largely random) process by which certain
of the chemical structures dissipate, while others are in a position to
continue the reaction.

  If you want a picture of the future,  | Internet:     csmith@cscs.UUCP
  imagine a boot stomping on a human    | UUCP:     ... uunet!cscs!csmith
  face - forever.  - George Orwell      |---------------------------------