[comp.ai.philosophy] Science

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (12/02/90)

In article <1990Nov21.045833.11768@mentor.com> msellers@mentor.com (Mike Sellers) writes:
   In article <15724@venera.isi.edu> smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) writes:

   >it
   >would not be ludicrous to say that scientists assume patterns of behavior based
   >on those of other scientists.

   It is not ludicrous to say, and in fact is a widely held attitude -- all you
   have to see this in action is wander into a lab and watch a graduate student
   and his or her advisor at work!  However, this sort of description is
   unsatisfying, and leaves the reader with the distinct impression that these
   scientists (or musicians, or artists, or politicians) don't really *know* what
   it is that they are about, and that they are once again trying to snow us all
   so they can spend more of our taxpayer dollars on some fool project.  It also
   weakens the case often touted by those championing the conclusions of science,
   that as a method of describing the world it is somehow qualitatively better
   than what the poor ignorant souls of previous eras had available to them.
   If we cannot describe science any better than to say that 'science is what
   scientists do, and what scientists do, precisely, is what other scientists do',
   then I suggest that science and its practitioners are not epistemilogically
   in a position that is any more defensible than any other describer of the
   world, such as a shaman, priest, philosopher, artist, or politician.

The difference is that, unlike the shaman or the priest, *our* magic
works -- consider aircraft, telephones, computers, CD players, and CAT
scanners.  To the average layman these may indeed be magic, but it is
a magic that *works*.  If a someone prays for world peace, he doesn't
really expect it to work, but if he picks up a cellular phone and
calls his office, he will be very perturbed if it *doesn't* work.

The fact that science is useful for developing new technologies is
what separates it from superstition, religion, philosophy, art, and
politcs.  Science is a better description because you can't build
supersonic jets and digital synthesizers based on philosophical
treatises or religious dogma.  I would argue that, to a large extent,
technology is what "validates" science.  (This is why it always
surprises me to find scientists who are anti-technology, although this
disease is relatively rare in the "applied" sciences like CS and AI.
Ironically, businesspeople seem more enamored of high-tech than basic
scientists.)

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) (12/03/90)

In article <YAMAUCHI.90Dec1155848@heron.cs.rochester.edu> yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:

[...]
>The fact that science is useful for developing new technologies is
>what separates it from superstition, religion, philosophy, art, and
>politcs.  Science is a better description because you can't build
>supersonic jets and digital synthesizers based on philosophical
>treatises or religious dogma.  I would argue that, to a large extent,
>technology is what "validates" science.  (This is why it always
>surprises me to find scientists who are anti-technology, although this
>disease is relatively rare in the "applied" sciences like CS and AI.
>Ironically, businesspeople seem more enamored of high-tech than basic
>scientists.)

This is an interesting view, which I don't think is entirely correct,
depending on how it is interpreted.  Firstly, the relationship between
science and technology is not an equivalence.  Developments in science
do not necessarily rely on developments in technology, and vice versa.
On the other hand, they *do* often have a direct influence on each other.
This is especially evident when considering the need scientists have
for increasingly better instrumentation for finer observation -- such
as more powerful telescopes, microscopes, or computers.

Mind you, the practitioners of various religions, much like scientists,
have tools of their trade as well -- which I believe must seem very
effective to their followers.  Various traditional forms of medicine
serve as good examples.

A big difference between the two approaches however is that science
refers in reality to two criteria of explanatory suffiency:
1) rigour/consistency and perhaps minimalness (formal adequecy), and
2) elegance and intuitiveness (informal adequecy).  Ideally, informal
requirements are subordinate to formal ones.  If a theory which fufills
the formal requirements does not meet the informal ones, it will meet
with prolonged disapproval -- but will usually persist until ideas of
elegance and intuitiveness have changed in light of the evidence.
Evolution and quantum physics are examples of this, I think.  The belief
systems used by a shaman, politician, and the others you mention rest
immediately on the informal requirements, which renders them and their
tools far more arbitrary and subject to change.

The conservatism of science, as related above, results in its
ideas being subject to far wider review under more careful cicumstances
than is the case for other belief systems which fall for support on
informal doctrine first.  This is not to say, however, that science is
not subject to the same social pressures as anything else, merely that
it is better equipped to stand apart from them.  At this point, it would
be correct to say, as you did, that the dissemination of science via
technology does spread the validation even further afield, but often
long after the work that made it possible -- although this does seem
to be changing in this century.  Perhaps this is another adjustment
of informal ideas that I mentioned above...

How's that?  :>

--
      Cameron Shelley        | "Logic, n.  The art of thinking and reasoning
cpshelley@violet.waterloo.edu|  in strict accordance with the limitations and

mikeb@wdl31.wdl.fac.com (Michael H Bender) (12/04/90)

to which cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) writes:
   A big difference between the two approaches however is that science
   refers in reality to two criteria of explanatory suffiency:
   1) rigour/consistency and perhaps minimalness (formal adequecy), and
   2) elegance and intuitiveness (informal adequecy).   ....

Cameron -- I think that your description of science is wrong. It is my
understanding that science can be viewed as a body of knowledge which can
lead to RELIABLE predictions about the physical world. In other words,
science is REPEATABLE.

Thus, the relation between technology and science is clear -- technology
NEEDS science because science ensures that the results of the technology
will be predictable. E.g., no one would build a space shuttle before having
a reliable theory concerning the nature of space (such as vacuum, gravity,
radiation, etc.)

I believe that the characteristics you list are merely criteria that are
used by the scienctific community for evaluating scientific theories. In
modern science there is a strong tendency to reject theories that do no
hold up to the REPEATABILITY criteria even if they fulfill conditions (1)
and (2) you listed.  (Note that the opposite is not always true -- it may
also reject a theory which is repeatable.)

  Mike Bender

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (12/04/90)

In article <MIKEB.90Dec3132442@wdl31.wdl.fac.com> mikeb@wdl31.wdl.fac.com (Michael H Bender) writes:

   yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) wrote:
      >The fact that science is useful for developing new technologies is
      >what separates it from superstition, religion, philosophy, art, and
      >politcs. ...  I would argue that, to a large extent,
      >technology is what "validates" science.

   to which cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) writes:
      A big difference between the two approaches however is that science
      refers in reality to two criteria of explanatory suffiency:
      1) rigour/consistency and perhaps minimalness (formal adequecy), and
      2) elegance and intuitiveness (informal adequecy).   ....

   Cameron -- I think that your description of science is wrong. It is my
   understanding that science can be viewed as a body of knowledge which can
   lead to RELIABLE predictions about the physical world. In other words,
   science is REPEATABLE.

   Thus, the relation between technology and science is clear -- technology
   NEEDS science because science ensures that the results of the technology
   will be predictable. E.g., no one would build a space shuttle before having
   a reliable theory concerning the nature of space (such as vacuum, gravity,
   radiation, etc.)

Actually, in some cases, technology predates science -- catapults were
built prior to Newton's theory of motion; sailing ships were built
prior to theories of fluid dynamics.  However, the fact that science
generates predictions which are reliable and repeatable allows people
to build highly complex and/or precise machines which make use of
these predictions.  (In the case of AI, I think we're still in the
sailing ship era...)

n025fc@tamuts.tamu.edu (Kevin Weller) (12/04/90)

In article <YAMAUCHI.90Dec1155848@heron.cs.rochester.edu> yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:

>                           ....  I would argue that, to a large extent,
>  technology is what "validates" science.  (This is why it always
>  surprises me to find scientists who are anti-technology, although this
>  disease is relatively rare in the "applied" sciences like CS and AI.
>  Ironically, businesspeople seem more enamored of high-tech than basic
>  scientists.)
>  Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
>  yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

I would agree that technology is the major indication of science's
validity, but you must remember that technology in and of itself is
not an unqualified good (few things are).  Consider the current and
future effects of acid rain, the threat of nuclear weapons, etc.  If
technology went away tomorrow (unlikely [thankfully], but still
possible), the ways of science would still be valid, though more
difficult.  Those anti-tech scientists you mention recognize the
negative side of the tech coin, often via science itself.  Undeniably,
some of them go overboard and declare technology generally bad, which
is not true either.  They misconstrue the technology question as an
either/or proposition; I've see the law of the excluded middle
misapplied to so many issues that it doesn't surprise me anymore.

In any case, I'm anything but a Luddite back-to-nature freak, but I do
understand the reservations some harbor toward over-zealous
"technologization."

--
Kevin L. Weller                                 /-------+--------------------\
internet: n025fc@tamuts.tamu.edu                |  aTm  |  GIG 'EM, AGGIES!  |

cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) (12/04/90)

In article <MIKEB.90Dec3132442@wdl31.wdl.fac.com> mikeb@wdl31.wdl.fac.com (Michael H Bender) writes:

>to which cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) writes:
>   A big difference between the two approaches however is that science
>   refers in reality to two criteria of explanatory suffiency:
>   1) rigour/consistency and perhaps minimalness (formal adequecy), and
>   2) elegance and intuitiveness (informal adequecy).   ....
>
>Cameron -- I think that your description of science is wrong. It is my
>understanding that science can be viewed as a body of knowledge which can
>lead to RELIABLE predictions about the physical world. In other words,
>science is REPEATABLE.

I would not deny that people's concepts of science vary, but I don't know
why all variation must be judged right or wrong -- my picture of science
is not that rigid, although certainly not all-inclusive either.  It is
odd, in my view, to look on science as being some nebulous "body of
knowledge" (having what meta-physical status?) the covers of which are
pealed away by supposedly impersonal investigators.  Perhaps I shouldn't
say "odd" so much as idealistic.  I was attempting to get closer to what
actually seems to go on in the conducting of science.

The RELIABLILITY and REPEATABILITY of predictions are functions of the
mathematical nature of the models being used, aren't they?  This is
what (in essence) I was referring to with my first point.  So perhaps
we do not disagree as much as it seems.

>Thus, the relation between technology and science is clear -- technology
>NEEDS science because science ensures that the results of the technology
>will be predictable. E.g., no one would build a space shuttle before having
>a reliable theory concerning the nature of space (such as vacuum, gravity,
>radiation, etc.)

Very true, and I did admit that the relation between science and technology
seems to be changing of late.  But throughout most of history, the
irrigation systems, roadways, ships, weapons, etc. (the technology) have
been made with no reference to science (as we have it now) at all.
Modern man and his technology have existed for  roughly thirty thousand
years now, how long has science had such a great influence?  Also, I
think the fact that we are all technophiles here has given us a somewhat
distorted view of technology -- the things you mention are all examples
of "high-technology", and it's not clear to me that this represents the
majority of technology even today.

>I believe that the characteristics you list are merely criteria that are
>used by the scienctific community for evaluating scientific theories. In
>modern science there is a strong tendency to reject theories that do no
>hold up to the REPEATABILITY criteria even if they fulfill conditions (1)
>and (2) you listed.  (Note that the opposite is not always true -- it may
>also reject a theory which is repeatable.)

Hmmm.  I had envisaged repeatabilty as a formal constraint in line with
my first condition, although I did not state it explicitly.  I would also
like to add at this point that I think the formal adequecy of science
serves as its interface to high-technology and is the guarantee of
the reliabiltiy you were looking for.  The math used to describe
physical theories, say, can then be used by engineers to produce
more tangible results with reasonable expectations of success -- the
interface I was referring to.  Since, as I maintained, other approaches
to 'explanation' (see the previous post) don't have such a level built
into them, they have no effective way of transferring 'results' from
one area to another.  Thus, a new-improved hallucinogenic drug which
brings you to nirvana more quickly and for longer cannot suggest a
better way dealing with your cranky car when you come back down (at
least not reliably).  I'm
being facetious of course, but I hope you get the picture.

>  Mike Bender

Does this address your concerns at all?