[comp.ai.philosophy] Language and Self-Awareness

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (12/02/90)

In article <GREENBA.90Nov30154938@gambia.crd.ge.com> greenba@gambia.crd.ge.com (ben a green) writes:

   In article <1990Nov30.180650.26648@watdragon.waterloo.edu> cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) writes:

      In article <GREENBA.90Nov30092227@gambia.crd.ge.com> greenba@gambia.crd.ge.com (ben a green) writes:

      >reasoning and self awareness in any
      >non-trivial senses require language.

      How do you figure that?  Do you mean a mental language?  If so, what
      do you consider 'mentalese' to be like?

   No, not a mental language. An actual, socially derived language.
   What is reasoning without talking to oneself, or actually writing to
   oneself? We do this all the time when reasoning with tough problems.

   Now cats can solve tough problems, but there is no way to classify
   their performance as reasoning beyond just the statement that they
   solve the problems. When we humans reason, we clearly use language.

For some forms of reasoning, in particular formal deductive reasoning,
this is certainly true.  However, other types of problem solving (such
as spatial reasoning) seem to involve visual simulations (imagery)
rather than language.

One psychological experiment involved mental rotation of
three-dimensional shapes to determine whether two shapes were
equivalent, and the results indicated that the time required was
proportional to the number of axes necessary to rotate one of the
shapes into a similar orientation as the other.  (Sorry, I don't
remember the reference.)

More generally (and intuitively), many types of problem solving
behavior seem to involve visualizing the effects of actions rather
than performing logical/linguistic inference.

On the other hand, I would agree that an organism which can perform
logical reasoning can solve many problems which cannot be solved by
imagery alone.

   Self awareness is more subtle and perhaps here I am relying on an
   unpopular position that self awareness is learned by interacting with
   other people.

I would argue that self-awareness is learned through interacting with
one's environment -- regardless of whether that environment includes
people.  At the most basic level, one learns that one can directly
control the actions of his body (but not the rest of the world)
through his thoughts.  This strikes me as the core of the separation
between self and non-self.  Any control over the "non-self" world
requires intermediate use of the body.  This can include both
sensorimotor activities and social communication.

You could look at the difference between these forms of interaction in
terms of the length of the chain between thought and effect on the
world.

Self:		mind --> body
Direct Action:	mind --> body --> world
Communication:	mind --> body --> other people --> world

Furthermore, tactile and force sensing are directly related to sensors
on the surface of body, and this (combined with the linkage of
tactile/force sensing to pleasure and pain) would serve to reinforce
the separation between self and non-self (i.e. hit the table with the
hammer and you don't feel much -- hit your foot with the hammer and it
hurts!)

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

greenba@gambia.crd.ge.com (ben a green) (12/03/90)

   From: yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi)
   Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
   Date: 1 Dec 90 19:55:15 GMT
   Sender: news@cs.rochester.edu (Usenet news)

   In article <GREENBA.90Nov30154938@gambia.crd.ge.com> greenba@gambia.crd.ge.com (ben a green) writes:

      In article <1990Nov30.180650.26648@watdragon.waterloo.edu> cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) writes:

	 In article <GREENBA.90Nov30092227@gambia.crd.ge.com> greenba@gambia.crd.ge.com (ben a green) writes:

	 >reasoning and self awareness in any
	 >non-trivial senses require language.

	 How do you figure that?  Do you mean a mental language?  If so, what
	 do you consider 'mentalese' to be like?

      No, not a mental language. An actual, socially derived language.
      What is reasoning without talking to oneself, or actually writing to
      oneself? We do this all the time when reasoning with tough problems.

      Now cats can solve tough problems, but there is no way to classify
      their performance as reasoning beyond just the statement that they
      solve the problems. When we humans reason, we clearly use language.

   For some forms of reasoning, in particular formal deductive reasoning,
   this is certainly true.  However, other types of problem solving (such
   as spatial reasoning) seem to involve visual simulations (imagery)
   rather than language.

Yes, we can use visual imagery to solve problems. But the question was
do we need language in order to reason. I don't equate problem solving
with reasoning. Vocabulary is a problem in this field, I know, but I
try to stick as close as I can to ordinary language, and IMHO reasoning
is a manipulation of words (as in talking to oneself) or writing
(as in solving mathetical problems).

Problems can be solved by intuition without any reasoning.
--
Ben A. Green, Jr.
greenba@crd.ge.com

BKort@bbn.com (Barry Kort) (12/12/90)

In article <GREENBA.90Dec3092259@gambia.crd.ge.com>
greenba@gambia.crd.ge.com (Ben A. Green) writes:

> Problems can be solved by intuition without any reasoning.

I suspect that philosophers and logicians working on intuitionist logic
would take exception to the suggestion that intuition is not a form of
reasoning.  Creative problem solving and model-based reasoning (inlcuding
the use of analogies, metaphors, and parables) may not be as formalized or
mechanized as Aristotelian Logic or Boolean Logic, but these fluid forms
of reasoning may yet be crystalized into systematic methods.

Barry Kort
Visiting Scientist
BBN Labs
Cambridge, MA

greenba@gambia.crd.ge.com (ben a green) (12/14/90)

In article <61527@bbn.BBN.COM> BKort@bbn.com (Barry Kort) writes:

   In article <GREENBA.90Dec3092259@gambia.crd.ge.com>
   greenba@gambia.crd.ge.com (Ben A. Green) writes:

   > Problems can be solved by intuition without any reasoning.

   I suspect that philosophers and logicians working on intuitionist logic
   would take exception to the suggestion that intuition is not a form of
   reasoning.

Barry and others are taking "reasoning" to be an honorific term.
I don't disparage intuition by distinguishing it from reasoning.

Ordinary language, which willhave to do until we can agree on a
technical vocabulary, suggests that reasoning is a matter of
arguing from statements of facts to statements of conclusions,
both of which involve statements, and a fortiori, language.

That's all I meant, and I am surprised at the disagreement.